Photo

So are we not going to talk about the new/pending shocks rules then?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Don't flatter yourself.  This isn't politics.  Your comments about shocks being more important in autox than road racing stand.  In error.

we are yelling a each other in agreement. 

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

This isn't politics.  

It is funny I have had the feeling this whole thread was a politically motivated thread...

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

Don't flatter yourself.  This isn't politics.  Your comments about shocks being more important in autox than road racing stand.  In error.

i don't really care. what you stated i should have said, is the exact idea i was trying to communicate. autocross has more violent and more frequent transitional periods, it is farther from steady state, this means that the part of the chassis designed to deal with such motion in transition, the shocks, are more important to get near or at optimum. 

i think there is plenty of evidence in this thread alone that is correct. if baller race shocks on a spec miata only account for .2 of a second, whereas in autocross baller shocks can be a half, or more of a second, on a 30-60 second course ... i mean, that settles it for me. shocks are more important to get right in autocross than spec miata. 

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

#allshocksmatter

• steveracer, Danica Davison, Xav and 1 other like this
Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

Chris Ciufo

Chris Ciufo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Region:Finger Lakes
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:34

jackson_pop_corn.gif

• Tom Sager, mhiggins10 and Danica Davison like this

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

we are yelling at each other in agreement. 

happens a lot around here.

• Jim Drago and Danica Davison like this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

This is a blatantly false statement. 

You'll have to prove intent.

Oh, sorry, wrong thread. Carry on.

:)

J~

• dstevens, Jim Drago and Danica Davison like this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

The SMAC's recomendation was that any shock found outside of the spec should be disassembled to see if it was out of spec due to alteration or wear/damage. Worn or damaged shocks would not result in a DQ.

This is the first I've heard of this process. Has anyone witnessed or experienced this as part of an inspection of a suspect part?

Having also been part of the SMAC, this very topic was discussed over two years ago and the consensus was opening shocks at the track was not viable (to confirm a potential dyno measurement non-compliance) so we were left with alternatives from Bilstein - tightening the manufacturing tolerances or using a different shock body that was effectively unrebuildable (destroyed the tube/body when opened). Neither of which were pursued as part of a rules refinement while I was a member.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

I offer this challenge.. 

At ANY Super Tour test event test day in the 18 season... 

You pick any SM driver of the top 25 in supertour points in 2017..

We install the best shocks you can build that pass the current spec

We run two sessions on your shocks... two sessions on stock shocks..

No suspension or set up changes other than correcting toe.

If your shocks are faster by 1.0 second plus relative to the field average ( temp and track compensation)  I'll pay you $5000, if they aren't you pay me $5000.00 and look at how many shock rebuilds you will sell. 

You can structure the rules however you like as long as they encompass the general feel of what I mentioned above.. I'll provide all the labor and scales to verify set up and can give a list of drivers that would be more than willing to drive in this test. 

The entire shock deal is being blown out of proportion IMO 

THIS CHALLENGE WAS OFFERED UP EARLIER... NOW YOU WONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT DOING YOUR OWN TESTING, OH UNLESS THE SHOCK GODS DONT SHOW UP WITH THEIR SUPER SHOCKS TO DO SAID TESTING, I SUSPECT THEY WILL NOT AS I BELEIVE THESE CLAIMS OF AN ADVANTAGE TO BE A BLATANT LIE, AND I WILL STILL WITH MY OUT OF THE BOX SHOCKS THAT ARE ON BOTH OF MY CARS!

Why don't you have the winners of any Majors race offer up there shocks for sale right afterwards. Race winning shocks!! Get them while they're hot.

J~

• Jim Drago and av8tor like this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

You're assuming rebuilt shocks on an SM have been truly optimized.  They have not.  They have only been optimized, if at all, within the units used.  Again, revealing your ignorance of the subject as it applies to road racing.

i don't really care. what you stated i should have said, is the exact idea i was trying to communicate. autocross has more violent and more frequent transitional periods, it is farther from steady state, this means that the part of the chassis designed to deal with such motion in transition, the shocks, are more important to get near or at optimum. 

i think there is plenty of evidence in this thread alone that is correct. if baller race shocks on a spec miata only account for .2 of a second, whereas in autocross baller shocks can be a half, or more of a second, on a 30-60 second course ... i mean, that settles it for me. shocks are more important to get right in autocross than spec miata. 

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

We even reviewed data from Runoffs. Side note, there were 2 cars in the LCQ that had modified illegal shocks. Without any wording in the GCR, nothing was done. Thus we have added the new wording about shock modifications, more to clarify it is not legal and give tech the distinct ability to act on revalved shocks, not to suddenly make revalved shocks illegal. From the data it is quite clear which shocks have been modified and which haven't. No spec/numbers needed to see the difference.

Has there been an additional attribute or reference captured as part of an inspection which is giving rise to this clarification? Something beyond what's already been published in the SCCA tech bulletin (pressures at specific rod rates)? If there is another point of reference captured/observed (that could be used to pursue a secondary check) during a test of a shock, should this parameter be shared with all competitors?

As competitors, I know we're not allowed to protest items outside of the GCR (namely procedure manuals and processes) however if there is a graph that's referenced in the "shock dyno testing process" (note bolded portion of the above quote) that could be used to bounce a part as non-compliant (or at least trigger a further teardown offsite) while the part meets all other parameters put forth (GCR + tech bulletin), how is this a good result for anyone?

I'm not asking this as a customer of FCM but as an SCCA member who agrees to compete with a car that is compliant with all posted rules and regulations for the car. If there is an unpublished variable that can be referenced to declare one of my parts non-compliant which I cannot protest, this is not something I want to see implemented or wish to support.

To be clear, I'm not asking these questions in an effort to uncover or claim any sort of conspiracy with tech procedures or a back-room change to things but to truly understand what obligations we have as entrants in this class should this rule move forward. If there is a visual reference that's available for use then I would hope we would have access to it in an effort to ensure our own components are compliant. To not have any mechanism to verify the compliance of parts is not something I believe the SCCA would want to see enacted.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I'm not asking this as a customer of FCM but as an SCCA member who agrees to compete with a car that is compliant with all posted rules and regulations for the car. If there is an unpublished variable that can be referenced to declare one of my parts non-compliant which I cannot protest, this is not something I want to see implemented or wish to support.

To be clear, I'm not asking these questions in an effort to uncover or claim any sort of conspiracy with tech procedures or a back-room change to things but to truly understand what obligations we have as entrants in this class should this rule move forward. If there is a visual reference that's available for use then I would hope we would have access to it in an effort to ensure our own components are compliant. To not have any mechanism to verify the compliance of parts is not something I believe the SCCA would want to see enacted.

If you are running out of the box stock shocks is there really any fear???  I personally have zero, with the way this is written if they want to swap me a shock and take mine apart later I welcome that if it stops this nonsense of 1500 shock revalves etc.

• av8tor likes this

K. Webb