Photo

So are we not going to talk about the new/pending shocks rules then?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

We need to create a new sticker like the old fuel sticker. Instead of "pog" we need "pos" plain old shocks.

I've raced some cars that needed a pos sticker but it had nothing to do with shocks...

• chris haldeman, Jim Drago, Tom Sager and 3 others like this

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

The entire point is that you bolt on 4 shocks out of the box and can be competitive without buying multiple sets. I­t­ works for the front runners. Do you feel you need to do more than that? If so, you are mistaken.

And while you're replacing those rear shocks go ahead and modify your upper control arm which allows the little guy an easy, affordable way to make a tuning change at the track very easily! :) (when it becomes ok of course!)

I don't have an issue with Fatcat trying to sell his product/services but he needs to be smarter when he jumps into a den with a bunch of old lions who aren't getting the same kitty-cat any more  :P (I'm not excluding myself :crying2: ) and he seems very uninformed about the history of SM...

• Jim Drago likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:14

Mr. Lamb, I am neither a shill from FC nor signed up yesterday. I have been in and out of SM since 2005, just was never very vocal on the forums(if your comment was directed my way). I have made a long career of working on cars and in recent years track and race cars and have been involved in motorsports for many years  ( can PM a resume if my low forum post count isn't good enough to voice an opinion), and I can say for a fact that on a regional level there are racers running rebuilt or serviced shocks( Bernie's, FC,etc..). I have taken notice of the decals or printed ID labels and engraved serial numbers under many cars, both NASA and SCCA. Now all I am right now, is curious as to the implied advantage of balanced or "optimized" shocks( not blatant illegal revalved,but "legal blueprinted")  at our level just as pro heads and engines have been as I work to get the the next level of performance( just want to know if it is me or the car, right?). So if you, and a few others at the "top" are saying that you truly run off the shelf, non parts-bin-optimized shocks and can compete at the highest level, that is good information. Although until I had a chance to test back to back, I would always be curious as to what they could do for me...............That's all.......

• Jim Drago and Danica Davison like this

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

So if you, and a few others at the "top" are saying that you truly run off the shelf, non parts-bin-optimized shocks and can compete at the highest level, that is good information. Although until I had a chance to test back to back, I would always be curious as to what they could do for me...............That's all.......

I offer this challenge.. 

At ANY Super Tour test event test day in the 18 season... 

You pick any SM driver of the top 25 in supertour points in 2017..

We install the best shocks you can build that pass the current spec

We run two sessions on your shocks... two sessions on stock shocks..

No suspension or set up changes other than correcting toe.

If your shocks are faster by 1.0 second plus relative to the field average ( temp and track compensation)  I'll pay you $5000, if they aren't you pay me $5000.00 and look at how many shock rebuilds you will sell. 

You can structure the rules however you like as long as they encompass the general feel of what I mentioned above.. I'll provide all the labor and scales to verify set up and can give a list of drivers that would be more than willing to drive in this test. 

The entire shock deal is being blown out of proportion IMO 

THIS CHALLENGE WAS OFFERED UP EARLIER... NOW YOU WONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT DOING YOUR OWN TESTING, OH UNLESS THE SHOCK GODS DONT SHOW UP WITH THEIR SUPER SHOCKS TO DO SAID TESTING, I SUSPECT THEY WILL NOT AS I BELEIVE THESE CLAIMS OF AN ADVANTAGE TO BE A BLATANT LIE, AND I WILL STILL WITH MY OUT OF THE BOX SHOCKS THAT ARE ON BOTH OF MY CARS!

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

This is a blatantly false statement.  If you think otherwise, you, not road racers, are the ones practicing religion.  I suggest you do a bit of research on the importance of shocks in road racing and if you're lucky enough to get an audience with Jeff Braun, see what he has to say about your statement.

I understand shocks are religion just as much as anything else, and fat cat really puts on the eat, pray, love for customers. I am not one of his customers.  I have autocrossed on his shocks in other peoples cars and i have to say, for like an E street miata, they are really well done. the car most certainly slalomed better, and was faster than just a normal off the shelf koni or bilstein setup. now, as i stated in an earlier post, i understand that shocks are more important in autocross than in road racing, because in an autocross run, there basically is zero time the car is "set" it is always in some transition, and in road racing the car spends much more time "set" and that puts less burden or advantage on the shocks.

• dstevens likes this

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

give hope to us regional and local guys just getting into the game though. 

Your posts would have more credibility as a newcomer to this forum with a name attached in your profile. Looking at your profile is a who's who of people from this site all wondering if you are truly a random newcomer or someone posing as a shill for people selling this shock service. 

• dstevens likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I offer this challenge.. 

At ANY Super Tour test event test day in the 18 season... 

You pick any SM driver of the top 25 in supertour points in 2017..

We install the best shocks you can build that pass the current spec

We run two sessions on your shocks... two sessions on stock shocks..

No suspension or set up changes other than correcting toe.

If your shocks are faster by 1.0 second plus relative to the field average ( temp and track compensation)  I'll pay you $5000, if they aren't you pay me $5000.00 and look at how many shock rebuilds you will sell. 

You can structure the rules however you like as long as they encompass the general feel of what I mentioned above.. I'll provide all the labor and scales to verify set up and can give a list of drivers that would be more than willing to drive in this test. 

The entire shock deal is being blown out of proportion IMO 

THIS CHALLENGE WAS OFFERED UP EARLIER... NOW YOU WONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT DOING YOUR OWN TESTING, OH UNLESS THE SHOCK GODS DONT SHOW UP WITH THEIR SUPER SHOCKS TO DO SAID TESTING, I SUSPECT THEY WILL NOT AS I BELEIVE THESE CLAIMS OF AN ADVANTAGE TO BE A BLATANT LIE, AND I WILL STILL WITH MY OUT OF THE BOX SHOCKS THAT ARE ON BOTH OF MY CARS!

A few can match my offer or contribute and it will put these claims to bed once and for all. 15-20k challenge to prove your claims if valid should be like taking candy from a baby.  

FWIW, I know Dave D well, very experienced with SM, Very good fabricator and car builder in NJ. Definitely NOT a shill 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Don't know how many have watched the entire video that is posted but it is hilarious.  For parts of it I thought I was watching an SNL skit mocking our class. 

• Jim Drago and tylerbrown like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Don't know how many have watched the entire video that is posted but it is hilarious.  For parts of it I thought I was watching an SNL skit mocking our class. 

Great way to sell products to our class :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Great way to sell products to our class :)

Its called shaming someone into buying...

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

And others with many more miles, years more experience and several national championships disagree.  You sound like a plant.  Get some seat time, rack up some wins then come back and tell guys like Drago or Lamb how the shock thing should work.  At this point in your wheel to wheel career shocks are the least of your concern.

clearly, no one can enter a new form of racing, or driving, with any experience in any other form of motorsport.

it would be crazy for someone to move from autocross, to HPDE, to time trialing, to road racing. simply crazy.

i have not "told" jim or todd anything. 

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Your posts would have more credibility as a newcomer to this forum with a name attached in your profile. Looking at your profile is a who's who of people from this site all wondering if you are truly a random newcomer or someone posing as a shill for people selling this shock service. 

done. 

i'm a nobody, a rookie road racer, and have no business, or personal connection to FCM. not even a customer. seems strange someone would think i was a shill after stating that i think the goal of the rulebook should be to put us all on similar performing shocks at a reasonable cost. 

i do have experience building and setting up autocross and time trial cars, including the effect of different types of and valved shocks and how they effect car performance. 

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

This is a blatantly false statement.  If you think otherwise, you, not road racers, are the ones practicing religion.  I suggest you do a bit of research on the importance of shocks in road racing and if you're lucky enough to get an audience with Jeff Braun, see what he has to say about your statement.

so there are two issues here. keep in mind at no point did i say that shocks don't matter. simply that shocks are less important.

1. if shocks are as important in road racing as in autocross, then the point of optimizing the shocks performance is even more magnified. this does not seem to be the case, based on folks using out of the box parts to win championships. clearly, the performance "left on the table" by the shocks that bilstein makes, is not that large. 

2. in autocross the course is generally much bumpier and the car spends nearly zero percent of the run at anything near steady state. the car is essentially always in some form of transition. so the shocks are always working on something. in track driving, the amount of time spent in transition is less, and the courses are much smoother (save curbing). shocks only have an effect when the car is transitioning, when less of the driving is transition, then shocks, as a total performance improve, are less important. 

for example: 3hp won't much effect an autocross run. 3hp will vastly effect the outcome of a spec miata race. you do different things with cars, different components and there effect on the outcome is different. thats all i am saying.

dbrad

dbrad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:52

New to Spec Miata and race in NASA (hope to run a few SARRC events in 2018).  Have low response counts in these forums because I typically have nothing of value to add.  NASA runs the Bilstein's. Rules are silent on modification and I take that to mean we cannot modify. 

Think the proposed rule modification is important so as to (1)  keep cars closer to spec, (2) consistency between SCCA & NASA (facilitate crossover racing), and (3) facilitate new drivers into class (easy to bolt in new out of box).

• Caveman-kwebb99 and Tom Sager like this

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Having been on the SMAC when the current rule was written, here is a little background to the best of my memory.

We took 10 sets of shocks and had them dynoed. Through out the best and worst and made a spec that no unmodified shock would fail. The spec was much broader than the range of the tested shocks. The specs are in a tech bulletin on the SCCA website someplace. The SMAC's recomendation was that any shock found outside of the spec should be disassembled to see if it was out of spec due to alteration or wear/damage. Worn or damaged shocks would not result in a DQ.

IMHO the new proposal is simply a clarification of the current rule. It gives more teeth to the IIDNSYCYCN rule. We have all been beaten by stock out of the box shocks.

We did some testing on a SM this fall with some true race shocks. $800+ per shock, Double adjustable stuff. We went about 0.2 seconds faster than we did with the same driver with the out of the box 5 year old Bilsteins.

We, the SM community, have the recipe on how to make these cars work. Using anything different will simply restart the arms race. The have will have more and the have nots will be farther behind.

K.I.S.S.

• MPR22 and gerglmuff2 like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Stop.  Just stop.  You demonstrate a level of arrogant ignorance that is breathtaking to behold.  

1.  In SM, it doesn't matter if anything is optimized.  That isn't the point of the class.  The point is to make the equipment as equal as possible.  Until SSC, autox hasn't had anything like a spec class so you're (lack of) experience has led you seriously astray.

2.  The critical functions of shocks in autox vs road racing are different, but one is not more important to performance than than the other discipline.  Your steady state comment is particularly mistaken.  Taking a set is an oval track concept, not road racing.  Turn entry and exit in road racing is a significant amount of non-steady state time.  In all but extremely long corners, like the Road America Carousel, steady state is only achieved briefly, at or near the apex.  The difference between autox and road racing in this situation is the frequent, extreme transitions of autox, not steady state vs. non steady state.

so there are two issues here. keep in mind at no point did i say that shocks don't matter. simply that shocks are less important.

1. if shocks are as important in road racing as in autocross, then the point of optimizing the shocks performance is even more magnified. this does not seem to be the case, based on folks using out of the box parts to win championships. clearly, the performance "left on the table" by the shocks that bilstein makes, is not that large. 

2. in autocross the course is generally much bumpier and the car spends nearly zero percent of the run at anything near steady state. the car is essentially always in some form of transition. so the shocks are always working on something. in track driving, the amount of time spent in transition is less, and the courses are much smoother (save curbing). shocks only have an effect when the car is transitioning, when less of the driving is transition, then shocks, as a total performance improve, are less important. 

for example: 3hp won't much effect an autocross run. 3hp will vastly effect the outcome of a spec miata race. you do different things with cars, different components and there effect on the outcome is different. thats all i am saying.

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Have low response counts in these forums because I typically have nothing of value to add. 

Don't worry, I typically have nothing of value to add either and I just broke the 1,000 post mark :D

• dstevens, Jason J Ball, MPR22 and 5 others like this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Stop.  Just stop.  You demonstrate a level of arrogant ignorance that is breathtaking to behold.  

1.  In SM, it doesn't matter if anything is optimized.  That isn't the point of the class.  The point is to make the equipment as equal as possible.  Until SSC, autox hasn't had anything like a spec class so you're (lack of) experience has led you seriously astray.

2.  The critical functions of shocks in autox vs road racing are different, but one is not more important to performance than than the other discipline.  Your steady state comment is particularly mistaken.  Taking a set is an oval track concept, not road racing.  Turn entry and exit in road racing is a significant amount of non-steady state time.  In all but extremely long corners, like the Road America Carousel, steady state is only achieved briefly, at or near the apex.  The difference between autox and road racing in this situation is the frequent, extreme transitions of autox, not steady state vs. non steady state.

seriously? 

1. are you arguing having optimized the performance of the car within the rules, isn't an advantage? 

2. here we are screaming agreement with each other. agreeing that the purpose and function of the shocks under different conditions would lead to differences in the needs of those parts and the outcome of the competition ... thats exactly what i said. as to the verbiage steady state versus non, versus more frequent and violent transitions is really pedantic. 6 here, half dozen there. we are talking about the same thing. in a more dynamic and violent environment, shocks will be more important than somewhere not as frequent or violent. 

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

1.  Optimized within the rules.  In this case, the rules are intended to make the cars as equal as possible to a degree not applied to non-spec classes.  The evidence that rebuilt shocks perform better in SM seems to be lacking.  Only the outlay of money is evident.

2.  No.  You said shocks are more important in autox than road racing.  You used the example of steady state vs. non steady state to make your point.  There's noting pedantic about your mistake.

seriously? 

1. are you arguing having optimized the performance of the car within the rules, isn't an advantage? 

2. here we are screaming agreement with each other. agreeing that the purpose and function of the shocks under different conditions would lead to differences in the needs of those parts and the outcome of the competition ... thats exactly what i said. as to the verbiage steady state versus non, versus more frequent and violent transitions is really pedantic. 6 here, half dozen there. we are talking about the same thing. in a more dynamic and violent environment, shocks will be more important than somewhere not as frequent or violent. 

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

1.  Optimized within the rules.  In this case, the rules are intended to make the cars as equal as possible to a degree not applied to non-spec classes.  The evidence that rebuilt shocks perform better in SM seems to be lacking.  Only the outlay of money is evident.

2.  No.  You said shocks are more important in autox than road racing.  You used the example of steady state vs. non steady state to make your point.  There's noting pedantic about your mistake.

we are yelling at each other in agreement. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users