Forum Blues

267 replies to this topic

luvin_the_rings

luvin_the_rings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Car Year:1990

And the oldest semi-reliable measurement of temperature we have are ... what ... about 150 years old?  Taken by guys wearing tophats in London, using mercury thermometers?

Actually, 

Many archaeologists have been analyzing fossilized tree rings and shellfish fossils to determine the average temperature of the seas and air along with carbon content.  They have confirmed that the earth goes through hot and cold spells going back billions of years.  

However, this particular rise in carbon and heat is much more severe.  

I like to watch Nova when I'm bored. 

• William Keeling likes this

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:10

So if I run toe out all around to counter-act camber thrust and free up the rolling resistance, does that mean I'm environmentally friendly?

You are doing your part, but if you want to be the most environmentally friendly, you need to crash on the first lap of the race. Saves carbon emissions.

• Jason J Ball, Justin Casey and lillyweld like this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Who? What? Where?

^  Millennial!!!

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:10

^  Millennial!!!

Get off my lawn forum you old hag!!!!  This is MY safe space!

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

https://3kpnuxym9k04...print-chart.jpg

https://upload.wikim...-2013-top40.svg

Consider these two charts simultaneously.  The fastest growing factor in energy consumption and carbon emissions is the 3rd world developing towards the per capita energy usage of the U.S., Canada, EU, Russia, wealthy Middle Eastern countries, etc.

The base energy needs (and "wants") of every first world human exceeds the potential savings of more negligible virtue-signalling activities included at the bottom of the first chart.

Having spent 8 years trying to model complex systems, I'm curious that anyone can have high confidence opinions about the causes of "climate change".  

As a model, it looks to me like this:

A massive spinning ball (Earth) filled with molten iron (lava?), with massive internal friction (Tectonic plates?), magnetically orbiting the world's hottest "space heater" (the Sun), and it has been doing so for 2000 years, or billions of years, depending on which person who has been alive less than 100 years I am listening to?  How am I to model the internal heat source of the Earth?  How do I model the external heat source of the Sun?  How do I model the conductive, convective, and radiant coefficients between the hot spinning ball and hot burning star it is orbiting?

And the oldest semi-reliable measurement of temperature we have are ... what ... about 150 years old?  Taken by guys wearing tophats in London, using mercury thermometers?

In summary, the population growth in the 3rd world, combined with their increased energy "wants", would appear to be at least 2 orders of magnitude greater than anything the 300M people of the U.S. can affect.  Even a full 100% reduction in per capita emissions in the U.S. will be akin to bailing out the Titanic with Solo cups.

Unless, of course, there isn't really a "problem", to begin with.  But if there is a real problem, such a believer should transfer calories and dollars spent on virtue-signaling "conservation", and allocate them to proposals that have a chance of actually solving the problem.  Maybe that is directly replenishing the Ozone layer, or developing CO2-hungry ground cover.  Maybe it is invading Canada, or nuking Asia, or some other means of "population control".  With current technology, electric cars are not much of a solution, to my eye.  

But, like the Horseshit Crisis of 1894, I am optimistic we will solve "climate change".  It would be nice to see more reliable (and less politicized) work done to understand it.  

P.S.  The copy of that first chart that I keep on my office wall has an edit adding the 1+ Million tons of excess emissions caused by Dieselgate.  "Environmentalists" that drive VW/Audi/Porsche or other VAG products is like a Safety Professional riding an ACME Rocket Unicycle, or driving a Spec Miata race with a leather helmet and no belts :) :) :)

A fine post but it was disappointing to have to wait for the P.S. for the German bashing. 

• Danica Davison likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Get off my lawn forum you old hag!!!!  This is MY safe space!

And my lawn is my safe place. Please watch until the 1 minute mark. By the way I had a 69 Torino. The one in movie is a 73 IIRC.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

A fine post but it was disappointing to have to wait for the P.S. for the German bashing. 

It isn't a "phobia" unless the fear is irrational, and it isn't "bashing" if the criticism is true :) :) :)

• Jim Drago likes this

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Actually, 

Many archaeologists have been analyzing fossilized tree rings and shellfish fossils to determine the average temperature of the seas and air along with carbon content.  They have confirmed that the earth goes through hot and cold spells going back billions of years.  

However, this particular rise in carbon and heat is much more severe.  

I like to watch Nova when I'm bored. 

I don't consider "Nova" an infallible and unbiased source, but I watch it as well.  I have 7 years and $150K of "science" (Science!) degrees, and I certainly outrank noted actor and comedian Bill "Science!" Nye in terms of credentials (lol), the recency of those credentials (lol) .... and yet I have much less confidence than either side of the politicized climate change debate. 

The list of Science!-tific conclusions that have been proven incorrect (or vastly corrected) in my adult life is the primary driver of my "skepticism".  On balance, I believe C02 emissions is *probably* a real problem.  This assumes I'm being told the truth, and if there is anything I am skeptical about, it is THAT.  But - my main point was that "science" (data and math, really) indicate that China is already the primary C02 emitter, and China and India's continued population growth and increasing energy needs and wants are what will ultimately fill and sink the Titanic.  Thus, mathematically and "scientifically" speaking, American/Firstworld Feelgood "environmentalism" is not a solution to anything other than political tribalism and the associated social popularity contests.  I'd love for "Nova" (and Fox and Vox and NYT and anyone else) to cover THAT, but it is politically popular to blame ->insert partisan reason for or against climate change here<-. 

Never mind that >$32K USD per year gets one to the GLOBAL 1%-er wealth level, which is something else I'd be happy for PBS or Fox or Vox (rhymes with Fox) to cover.  The fact that we are talking about getting "poor" Americans (i.e. global 1%-ers)  better broadband access, and arguing about letting girls in the Boy Scouts, and whether Woody Allen should be allowed in the same Starbucks bathroom with Dargo's daughter, is the surest sign of "progress" here in the world's most progressive and prosperous nation of 300M people.  Screw Norway as a benchmark, they are the population of Houston.  Screw Canada as a benchmark, they are the population of California.  Take Canada's immigration test sometime, by the way.  You'll get in if you speak the language(s), have desired skills, have current associates in the country, you are young, healthy, you have made prior visits, and you have a job offer.  Immigrant friendly, my ass.  Not compared to the country Woody Guthrie sang about :)

http://www.canada-da...calculator.html

Like I said, I'm all for focusing dollars and calories and online manifestos on real solutions. As one who put his money where his vas deferens were, I'm looking forward to all the carbon offsets I'm going to get from the Parent's Union, the Dog Owner's Union, vwvortex.com users,  Porsche Club of America members, and any other American, Canadian, EU, Russian, and Middle Eastern "climate change deniers" :)

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I don't consider "Nova" an infallible and unbiased source, but I watch it as well. I have 7 years and $150K of "science" (Science!) degrees, and I certainly outrank noted actor and comedian Bill "Science!" Nye in terms of credentials (lol), the recency of those credentials (lol) .... and yet I have much less confidence than either side of the politicized climate change debate.

The list of Science!-tific conclusions that have been proven incorrect (or vastly corrected) in my adult life is the primary driver of my "skepticism". On balance, I believe C02 emissions is *probably* a real problem. This assumes I'm being told the truth, and if there is anything I am skeptical about, it is THAT. But - my main point was that "science" (data and math, really) indicate that China is already the primary C02 emitter, and China and India's continued population growth and increasing energy needs and wants are what will ultimately fill and sink the Titanic. Thus, mathematically and "scientifically" speaking, American/Firstworld Feelgood "environmentalism" is not a solution to anything other than political tribalism and the associated social popularity contests. I'd love for "Nova" (and Fox and Vox and NYT and anyone else) to cover THAT, but it is politically popular to blame ->insert partisan reason for or against climate change here<-.

Never mind that >$32K USD per year gets one to the GLOBAL 1%-er wealth level, which is something else I'd be happy for PBS or Fox or Vox (rhymes with Fox) to cover. The fact that we are talking about getting "poor" Americans (i.e. global 1%-ers) better broadband access, and arguing about letting girls in the Boy Scouts, and whether Woody Allen should be allowed in the same Starbucks bathroom with Dargo's daughter, is the surest sign of "progress" here in the world's most progressive and prosperous nation of 300M people. Screw Norway as a benchmark, they are the population of Houston. Screw Canada as a benchmark, they are the population of California. Take Canada's immigration test sometime, by the way. You'll get in if you speak the language(s), have desired skills, have current associates in the country, you are young, healthy, you have made prior visits, and you have a job offer. Immigrant friendly, my ass. Not compared to the country Woody Guthrie sang about :)

http://www.canada-da...calculator.html

Like I said, I'm all for focusing dollars and calories and online manifestos on real solutions. As one who put his money where his vas deferens were, I'm looking forward to all the carbon offsets I'm going to get from the Parent's Union, the Dog Owner's Union, vwvortex.com users, Porsche Club of America members, and any other American, Canadian, EU, Russian, and Middle Eastern "climate change deniers" :)

I wonder if I can get some of your posts on audible??? Make for some good listening while driving to a race lol :)
  • JRHille and Danica Davison like this

K. Webb