Photo

Tire management

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

Poll: tire management (83 member(s) have cast votes)

Do we need a tire management program

1. yes (73 votes [87.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 87.95%

2. no (6 votes [7.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.23%

3. undecided (4 votes [4.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.82%

Opinions on proposed program

1. I like it is as is, no changes (54 votes [65.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 65.06%

2. I don't like it (4 votes [4.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.82%

3. I like it but it needs some work (25 votes [30.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.12%

Do you agree with the tire replacement part of the proposal?

1. yes, leave it as is (54 votes [65.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 65.06%

2. no not at all (5 votes [6.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.02%

3. yes I agree but the plan needs work (24 votes [28.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.92%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

How many times have you flat spotted all four? We shouldn't base much of the plan imo based on something that rarely happens in the first place..

Well, a few years ago Tyler Brown and I touched at 120 approaching Canada corner. I went sideways, collected it and continued but not before burning well into the steel belts on one, to the cord on another and slightly square on the other two. But there was video so I expect I’d get an exception.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

I’d take 10 spot penalty for stickers with very little thought at most tracks.

That right there highlights the need not only for the rule but also for a different tire. 

• Caveman-kwebb99, Jim Drago, Danny Steyn and 3 others like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

RWP80000

RWP80000

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Region:SoPac
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:2

Letter submitted.

(I’m tired of being outspent by those who are beating me. On the occasions I’ve joined in fully on the spending spree, they are still beating me. There must be some secret spending going on that I don’t know about. So I’m also for banning all secret spending so that I can finally win some damn races.)

CNJ

CNJ,

My wife 100% supports your ban on the secret spending she doesn't know about and now wants to "mark" my allowance!

• Cnj and FTodaro like this

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

Money always wins in this game. Even if we enact this rule, it will just free up funds of the top guys (prep shops) which they can spend on some other advantage.

http://jenkinsracing.com

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Money always wins in this game. Even if we enact this rule, it will just free up funds of the top guys (prep shops) which they can spend on some other advantage.

In my admittedly not at all humble opinion in this case, that is absolutely not true. Unless you want to include more seat time, personal coaching and the like there are very few things you can spend more money on (within the rules) to go faster in this class. Tires are FAR AND AWAY the biggest and most expensive of those and even if there are a few things YOU aren’t doing yet that you could, you can be certain that the guys up front already are. Sorry, but it’s just a really, really misleading statement.
  • Jim Drago likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Just and FYI, SCCA handed out Tire Limit Questionnaire to drivers at the Watkins Glen HST this weekend.

Danny, please tell us more about what was in it as well as how it was distributed and returned.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

In my admittedly not at all humble opinion in this case, that is absolutely not true. Unless you want to include more seat time, personal coaching and the like there are very few things you can spend more money on (within the rules) to go faster in this class. Tires are FAR AND AWAY the biggest and most expensive of those and even if there are a few things YOU aren’t doing yet that you could, you can be certain that the guys up front already are. Sorry, but it’s just a really, really misleading statement.

Hear that all the time, It makes some feel better I assume?  Obviously you need enough money to race, but IMO, you aren't buying wins or championships in this class. The cost of a top car just isn't enough to gain the advantage needed to money whip someone.  I have been racing in this class for 15 years now. Never have I seen so many good cars. Cars in the 20s are as fast as the guys in the front. It used to be you could drive straight through all but the top 4-5 guys, it is not that way anymore.  

FWIW...The 2015 and 2016 SCCA National Champions won the biggest race in our class on what most would consider a shoestring budget.  Both cars were far from what I would consider "top notch" and their budgets were regional type at best.

• Steve Scheifler, sentercut and gerglmuff2 like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

maybe true, but the point of the rules is to make sure that the advantage they do spends oddles of money on is small with little payback. 

no one i think currently would put tires into a category that a lot of money can be spent with little payback. its probably the top item on the list, in terms of easy speed. 

money always helps, but the goal of a spec ruleset is to force those who want to spend it all, they end up spending it on stuff that doesn't give them that much of an advantage compared to someone who doesnt. tire are NOT that right now. fresher tires is a significant advantage, and a significant cost. the goal of good rule making is to make lots of things of small significance performance-wise, significantly expensive. 

• Caveman-kwebb99, Jim Drago and mellen like this

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

William Keeling

William Keeling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Houston Region
  • Car Number:11

It takes talent, equipment and preparation to win – take away any of them and you’re not winning only whining.

• Cnj and Jim Drago like this

William Keeling

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Danny, please tell us more about what was in it as well as how it was distributed and returned.

Single sheet of paper with various questions that I do not remember, handed out to HST drivers. All of us under the OPM tent got one so I know SM drivers were handed one, but it might have been handed out to other classes as well. Cannot confirm. Collected by one of the SCCA HST officials

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

CDM

CDM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:SE
  • Car Year:9102
  • Car Number:66

I just wanted to add that at the Roebling Road Majors last weekend we had a gentleman's agreement of one set and it worked out pretty well imo. A real test as Roebling in the brutal summer Georgia heat is known for being one of the toughest tracks for tires in the southeast (barring CMP: where tires do in fact come to die  :laughing:). Lap times went from 1:23s and 24s saturday to 25s and 26s sunday which is quite acceptable for the conditions I think. The best thing about this type of agreement/rule is I won the set I used back with contingency, so I'm a bit biased towards it but who wouldn't be at saving $800 + a free set?  :cheerful:.

In terms of problems noticed: I'm not sure how it was in the middle/back of the pack but one person towards the front with me managed to cord stickers in just the few laps of qualifying and the 20 minute race on saturday... Naturally instead of used tires he put stickers on for sunday and so the racing karma gods were displeased and his car broke down a few laps in. I think the lesson here to be learned with this rule/agreement is that it is important to keep the tires under you/not slide the car in every corner, and I think it would add in this important factor and therefore raise the skill ceiling by rewarding smooth consistent at the limit driving.

• Danny Steyn and Tom Sager like this

Charles-Dylan "Chuck" Mactutus #66

OPM Autosports

2019-21 SARRC Champion & Rookie of the Year

2022 Southeast Majors and National SuperTour Champion

Vinnie Baratta

Vinnie Baratta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
On this subject- any news from Hoosier as to the next generation of SM tire? Are we getting it next year? This time last year people were talking as if it was happening but its gotten really quiet as of late.

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

fasttrack says SMAC is working on a tire cost management solution, and to look for an upcoming rule .... 

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

Bul Winkle

Bul Winkle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:66

From Hoosier, yesterday afternoon: The 7.5 will be released for the Buttonwillow race 21 Feb.

clean your wheels....

Bul Winkle

"Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat"

Vinnie Baratta

Vinnie Baratta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
I heard Feb from appalachian tire too. Presumably SM7s at COTA? really wish there was some communication on this...

tLinder

tLinder

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:SouthWest
  • Car Number:40

I heard Feb from appalachian tire too. Presumably SM7s at COTA? really wish there was some communication on this...

Agreed!!!

Historically (tire) changes are phased in and since the next flavor of SMx will be slower (unless you believe Hoosier will make the unicorn tire, faster / more life) the top dogs will stay with the SM7 until they are no longer allowed.  (In other words, you can budget / buy SM7s for COTA). 

Toby Linder