Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
Here is my first ever race vid. This is the perspective from the back.

Some background:
- This is the first time I have ever raced at Laguna. First time I've ever been there in the Miata. Been here once before in my RX7 for HPDE but got meatballed so never took the track at speed.
- I had spent all of Saturday's race behind the BRG car with the Union Jack on the hardtop. Forgot his name but the dude has a seriously strong motor (watch him power away from us on the uphill) but tends to over break the car and drives a slow, defensive line in general. Couldn't figure out a way to get past him and make it stick on Sat. My fellow 2011 class mate Austin managed to get by and then the rest of us newbies made our way through hot on his bumper.
- I almost ran out of gas. Stopped pushing at the end. Gas gauge was a wee bit past E when I pitted.
- Anyone know who #42 is? I'd like to figure out what I did wrong when we touched. The help rotating sure made the turn easier. :) Trying to figure out what you fast guys approaching a slower rookie like me, what would you expect me to do at that turn? Give you the apex and let you blow on by. Take the turn normally and let you pass me on the inside at exit. Option 3...

This is the unedited vid so fwd to about the 10 minute mark to avoid the grid and such. I'm still learning how to edit video.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:51
Here's video of my most exciting race of the weekend, Race 1 of Group 5.

http://www.vimeo.com/24515561
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:34

That's why I started that race from the pit lane.

-Juan

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

SCCA_Racer

SCCA_Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Region:San Fransisco
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:01

Hey Joshua,

When I was watching your first race I was thinking: nice calm patient driver. Then a few laps into the second race you start letting loose. Exciting stuff, especially in T11 and the corkscrew. Thanks for posting!

-Juan

Yeah Juan, I started out nice and easy knowing I had a lot left in the car and myself. Those walls are quite intimidating. At the end of the weekend I was starting to trust the car and adjust my braking and turn in points. Some of those passes especially those two tries in turn 11 were a bit much and the corkscrew passes were a little dangerous too. I learned a ton which I can apply to the event in June. I figure starting the weekend at a 1:53 and ending it at a 1:51 is going the right way as this was my first time running my Miata at Laguna. I had run my 240SX there but it has a turbo making up for its slow cornering speed.
See you in a couple weeks.
Joshua
Joshua Fine
Sealed Spec Miata (SCCA)
Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:12
Darin - wow! Did you touch the wall or just miss it??? That was way close. And it's a 99 fest out there now! They're taking oooooverrrrr! Hard to believe people are choosing 12-year old cars to 20-year old cars for new builds. Posted Image

Alberto - assuming you are referring to getting lapped (as opposed to a (significantly) faster car passing you for position), the safest route is to drive the normal line and _be predictable_. The worst thing you can do is look like you're making room for someone, they go to take the space and then you both wind up in the same spot.

If it doesn't compromise your own racing position, moving offline to let them through is a polite and appreciated thing if there is adequate space between you so that your move is visible and obvious. The key is to be predicatable. If you wanted to drive the rim of T4 to let people by on the inside, that's fine, but you need to be far enough ahead of the approaching cars so that it's clear you are off line and off pace so there are no misunderstandings. I'll have to dig up Kevin Baillie's video from T8 at Infineon where a lapped car appears to stay wide and then slams down to the apex and he and Kevin make side-on-side contact with about a 30mph closing speed. These are all things you can practice in qualifying when you're working to make space or take a slow lap between flyers.

You may also consider, like you experienced, that letting a faster car go through even when battling for position can be used to your advantage in that it opens up a gap for you to fill or a draft to take.

#42 is Neimann - you signaled him to pass on the inside but then took the line while he was probably driving his mirrors. If he wanted the pass he should have been inside of you much earlier so I don't think you did anything wrong there. Some people expect lapped traffic to move over and park it. I personally believe we all pay the same amount for the asphalt so any of that is a courtesy (which is greatly, greatly appreciated by us when we come through, especially if battling for position).
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
Brian,

Mike and I spoke about it over PM. Doug's video shows the cause and effect perfectly. Doug and Mike had a battle going as they approached me, a far slower car, on one of the most important corners on track. Mike was trying to slow up enough to setup for the corner and not hit me and got bumped by Doug (who probably didn't expect him to be braking that hard) which bumped Mike into me.

As you noticed, I did point him by and got caught out watching my mirrors when I didn't see him go by and wondering if it was the same red car in my rearview. Next think I know is oh shit, turn in point and I thought I had pinched a different red car.

For the most part, I have compromised my own position so you fast guys can get through quickly and safely. I'm so far back that my position is not important. Wasn't sure if that was expected behavior. Maybe we should start another thread on this topic... I can't be the only newbie wondering what you guys are thinking/expecting as you blow by us. :)

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
Yep, touched the wall with the front bumper. I'll gladly take a scuffed up front bumper from that. Thought it was going to be a LOT worse. It was at that moment that my luck changed from bad to good.

There were 3 new '99's. Not quite taking over just yet. SSM's are winning more races than anything.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Greg Cicatelli

Greg Cicatelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Car Number:96

http://www.vimeo.com/24515561

If we're posting exciting ITA races... here's mine. Had a killer flyer lap during quali, then got interesting on the start and through the corkscrew. My first "real" off in a race and first contact with tire wall. I was really surprised it was still totally drivable - gotta love these cars. I had to put some music to it because it was such a nutty race in so many ways. Hope you enjoy the soundtrack.

http://www.vimeo.com/24623701

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Greg, More evidence that I made the right decision to start in the pit lane for group 5. :) You've got to get a bigger rear view mirror for video's sake!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
So Here's my Saturday SM race:

I need my practice, and without a test day at Laguna, I was off the pace on Saturday. My race was not that exciting, but you can see the fun battles ahead.

My Sunday race was more "dynamic." I got forced off the exit of T3 at the start and shuffled back to 13th but worked my way back up to finish 8th. Lots of good battles. I should have picked up another spot when Charlie and Dion went side by side the last time through T11. But I flubbed it. Unfortunately, no video. What good is a nice HD camera if you don't turn it on?

Enjoy!
-Juan

Greg Cicatelli

Greg Cicatelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Car Number:96

Greg, More evidence that I made the right decision to start in the pit lane for group 5. :) You've got to get a bigger rear view mirror for the videos!

No doubt... was pretty crazy with all the ITS and purpose-built ITA guys running up on me. Second ITA race was much more uneventful and finished where I qualified. Yeah, the bigger mirror is on my list.

Viet-Tam Luu

Viet-Tam Luu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Region:San Francisco Region
  • Car Number:10 ITS
Aww, to hear of the fun I missed.

Working hard on getting the new engine up and running...

You won't need a mirror to see me, Greg. ;)
Viet-Tam Luu
Director, SCCA San Francisco Region
1999 Miata #10 ITS

2003 Evo 8 #12 STU
2011 SFR-SCCA ITS Champion

Viet-Tam Luu

Viet-Tam Luu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Region:San Francisco Region
  • Car Number:10 ITS
Re: sound issues, we're aware of them and are working on solving the problem ASAP.
Viet-Tam Luu
Director, SCCA San Francisco Region
1999 Miata #10 ITS

2003 Evo 8 #12 STU
2011 SFR-SCCA ITS Champion

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
I have a solution in mind - fewer races at Laguna Seca. Seriously, would one person complain if we had 2 races at LS and 2 at Infineon?

Dan Cooper

Dan Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Region:33 - San Francisco
  • Car Number:40 ;-)

I have a solution in mind - fewer races at Laguna Seca. Seriously, would one person complain if we had 2 races at LS and 2 at Infineon?

I know i wouldn't mind. Not a huge LS fan and a BIG Infineon fan.

Had I run LS last weekend, i might think twice about running in the festival. Don't see the point in 2 back to back short break weekends at LS.

(I don't make the schedule, i'm just whining.)
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
I'd rather race Laguna than Infineon. Not sure I care about how close the weekends are.

Steve Holifield

Steve Holifield

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Car Number:44

Wow, I couldn't help but chuckle when the Silver 08 passed 1 other car and then you, and went from turn 5 to turn 11 without realizing there was a double yellow!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Speaking of chuckles, in the Sunday group 7 race, the purple/yellow Oka car spun in turn 2 on the out/pace lap. About a dozen cars went by him before he gathered himself and then proceeded to drive back by everyone to his spot :o What's the famous saying "But I was 7th"!!?? :D

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

D Biggar

D Biggar

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Car Number:33

Wow, I couldn't help but chuckle when the Silver 08 passed 1 other car and then you, and went from turn 5 to turn 11 without realizing there was a double yellow!

There were so many cars passing under double yellow during ITA and SM...one of the problems I had with it is when the people realized it. If you pass under double yellow, the worst thing you could do is slow up and try to let people by...the flaggers (who report it) don't care who passed you under yellow, and if they see you pass back they will report it and you will get penalized. If you want to give your positions back, hit pit lane. I can't remember if it was 5 or 7, but someone passed several cars under yellow, then tried to let us all by, but I wouldn't go around him (he seemed to be freaking out with the hand signals).

That first ITA start was nuts though, the hit between the front guys caused a nice chain reaction pushing me 2 off going into 2(and another guy next to me completely in the dirt), and I still managed to not lose a spot...most fun I've had in a long time!

Speaking of chuckles, in the Sunday group 7 race, the purple/yellow Oka car spun in turn 2 on the out/pace lap. About a dozen cars went by him before he gathered himself and then proceeded to drive back by everyone to his spot :o What's the famous saying "But I was 7th"!!?? :D

Completely missed that! I imagine there was a penalty afterward? Specifically 6.5.1J? :lol:
-David Biggar
david.biggar(at)gmail.com

Meteorologist

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:12

If you pass under double yellow, the worst thing you could do is slow up and try to let people by...the flaggers (who report it) don't care who passed you under yellow, and if they see you pass back they will report it and you will get penalized.

You can do this clearly by pulling waaaay offline and then pointing people by. If you were between T4/T5 at Laguna, pull way track left and give a point by (preferably out the window over the top of the car like an HPDE such that the workers can see it). As the (re-)overtaking car, video (proof) is your friend here for any post-race disputes.
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users