Photo

First time removing tranny...what else to switch out?

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

stillentwint17

stillentwint17

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

the tranny wont seperate from the engine. I beat the bejesus out of it and its only opened a crack. Any words of advice. Its getting really annoying

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

the tranny wont seperate from the engine. I beat the bejesus out of it and its only opened a crack. Any words of advice. Its getting really annoying

Have you tried a prybar on each side?  You SHOULD be able to walk it off a little on each side with the prybar. Only 1 time before did I see one NOT come out....It was due to a pilot bearing fused to the shaft.  We used an F-550 and JERKED it out.  Silly question, is the shifter out?  Just had to ask....

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

stillentwint17

stillentwint17

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Finally!!! I finally got the tranny out!! Celebrated with a couple of beer. It was a huge PIA. I litreally laid under it, like i was giving birth, and started pulling it with the ribs on the gear box. Once it cracked open, I just tugged the hell out of it and it came off.

Is the pressure plate housing supposed to look like this. All the thick paint cover is coming off. Can this do any damage to the internals? Please see the second photo.

9B6940C4-93D4-478B-92F7-3BA3D6112467-540

stillentwint17

stillentwint17

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Does this pressure plate housing look ok??

8765CAAC-1A40-4A9F-B9D0-06BB35928AE4-540

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

I've never seen one with the paint peeled like that. Any idea how old it is. More important than the housing is what the face looks like. Is it burnt, scarred, etc...

My rule of thumb: is it worth the price of a pressure plate to reuse when I already have the trans dropped and can easily install all new parts.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Maybe everyone doesnt have the funds for all new parts like M&S, not everyone has a dual income...

Some of us have to work for a living... :)

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Does this pressure plate housing look ok??

8765CAAC-1A40-4A9F-B9D0-06BB35928AE4-540

No but the reason you had trouble getting out is now obvious......put a SMALL amount of antisieze on the splined shaft when you reinstall!

Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

I would definatly pull the PP off and look close at the clutch disk and PP and Flywheel surfaces at this point.  Im guessing that there MAY have been some heat issues from a slipping clutch thus the paint failing.  Remember to seal the threads of the flywheel  with ATV if you remove it!

stillentwint17

stillentwint17

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

No but the reason you had trouble getting out is now obvious......put a SMALL amount of antisieze on the splined shaft when you reinstall!

Thanks Glen. Does just regular Anti-Seize work? White paste one. I dont need a high temp version...

Also, for the RTV, i purchased Permetex Hi-Temp RTV Silicone gasket. Is that sufficent?

F9D81476-DA45-49A8-92B9-DFDAE3D5B9AD-865

Mark McCallister

Mark McCallister

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:40

Question, how does one determine how much life the clutch has left when the transmission is out?  Mine looks like the above (without the peeling paint part).

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

The peeling paint is not a problem. Someone probably cleaned the clutch with a strong chemical. You need to look at the wear on the clutch disc and the surface of the pressure plate.

Glenn is wrong !!!!! The reason the trans was stuck was not the clutch disc splines. It was the pilot bearing as shown in the second pic. I am 99.999999% sure the pilot bearing is shot and the input shaft may need replacement also. Use a VERY small amount of lubricant on the clutch splines. Hi temp grease works better than anti-seize. Anti-sneeze wears the input shaft.

Also fix the oil leak

Dave

• Glenn likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

stillentwint17

stillentwint17

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

The peeling paint is not a problem. Someone probably cleaned the clutch with a strong chemical. You need to look at the wear on the clutch disc and the surface of the pressure plate.

Glenn is wrong !!!!! The reason the trans was stuck was not the clutch disc splines. It was the pilot bearing as shown in the second pic. I am 99.999999% sure the pilot bearing is shot and the input shaft may need replacement also. Use a VERY small amount of lubricant on the clutch splines. Hi temp grease works better than anti-seize. Anti-sneeze wears the input shaft.

Also fix the oil leak

Dave

Hi Glen,

Thank you for your input. Yah, I'm removing the tranny to switch out the rear main seal, which has been leaking for the last few months. I purchased all the seals i could from Mazda incase its not that seal. I hope to remove the clutch tomorrow, so i will keep you posted on that.

How difficult is it to switch out the input shaft.. Does that mean, i need to get a rebuilt tranny or would i disassemble the tranny and do it myself. I have 3 track events starting a week from monday. I'd greatly appreciate anymore input you have on the matter as im trying to purchase any/all parts i will need to finish over the next day or two.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Rich is correct on the speedo cable...if you need one PM me...in your area. 

wire brush/steel wool your input shaft(the rust ring from the pilot bearing) with a little wd40 then see if your new pilot bearing slides over without any issue or sloppiness. Again if you think you need an input shaft PM me. Good luck! 

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Also fix the oil leak

Dave

Thanks Dave, I did not see the pic with the pilot bearing till this AM so I assumed the splines on the shaft were siezed based on teh first set of pics, and I agree 100%.  I will head to your expert advise on the use of anti sieze on my future projects. 

Someone else will need to comment on the removal of the input shaft, gearbox internals are "of the devil" and best left to witch doctors like Saul ;)

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

I'd rather rebuild a trans than remove and replace it.

To replace the input shaft requires complete disassembly of the trans.

Looks like the front of the trans is leaking also.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

stillentwint17

stillentwint17

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Hi guys. I cant tell you all enough how much i appreciate your input and guidance. My apologies for the delay in getting back to you. Theres been alot going on in the background.

So..I spoke with an awesome transmission builder (Barry) and he told me to measure the input shaft, speficially at the "spigot" with a dial indicator. There was less than .0005" variance across 4 points i measured on the shaft so it seems the input shaft is ok. He said anything more than .0015" would mean i needed a new input shaft. To me that means new transmission as thats completyely out of my league. I purchased a new pilot bearing and a bunch of other parts that he told me to from Mazda and i will start removing the tranny cover a bit later today.

As of now, i just removed the clutch. I cant tell how the friction plate is as i dont really know what to look for really. Any idea if this is ok. My goal is to determine if the PP is ok or if i need to buy a new one, as i need to get all this car back together next week, and if i need to order any parts, i need to do it asap.

IMG_2779_zps3752a254.jpg

IMG_2776_zps300123b0.jpgIMG_2775_zps0485dc24.jpg

stillentwint17

stillentwint17

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Rich is correct on the speedo cable...if you need one PM me...in your area. 

wire brush/steel wool your input shaft(the rust ring from the pilot bearing) with a little wd40 then see if your new pilot bearing slides over without any issue or sloppiness. Again if you think you need an input shaft PM me. Good luck! 

Hi Ron,

I went ahead and did what you said and I was able to remove all the rust. I checked the OD on the shaft, specifically the spigot, and there was little variance in the OD. Less than .001".

I'm making a list of the parts need (destroyed) and I'll PM later tonight after i get the flywheel and rear main seal out.

Thanks again!

stillentwint17

stillentwint17

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Hi all,

Does this look like a rear main seal leak or an oil pan seal leak???

IMG_2799_zpsf4df7944.jpg

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Can't answer that question long distance. A couple things to check before you clean anything. Is the valve cover leaking and draining down the rear of the head and block?  Is the there any leaking from the cam angle sensor?  The CAS is on the passenges rear side of the head at the rear end of the cam. Me not being there I would replace the crank oil seal and the o-ring for the CAS.

For a comfort level, do you have a knowledgeable car guy friend. An experience someone to look over your shoulder laways makes for a feel good.

• stillentwint17 likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Question, how does one determine how much life the clutch has left when the transmission is out?  Mine looks like the above (without the peeling paint part).

Inspecting a clutch disk is like inpecting brake pads, they have rivits holding the materail on to the disk, they do not have much material to start with so when the material is just about even with the rivit its time to ptich it. The only exception to what i just said is that if your running an act 4 puck disk, they are made of super hard material and new the have less than a 1/32 of materal and they last forever. It helps to see one new then you get the idea.

• stillentwint17 likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users