dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:88
FWIW GreatLakesSCCA regionals have been open tire for years. Hasn't been an issue - the sky is still up there. Sometimes Toyo-shod cars win, sometimes Hoosiers win. All racers win because they have a choice. :)

Sticky tires don't fix sh!tty driving and vice versa.

I'd like to try the new GoodBoot SM tire myself.

"$400 for GPS laptimes and can be downloaded to Race Studio".
Hells bells, that's almost the cost of 3 new Hoosiers! :P
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

Speaking of laptimes, has everyone seen the new AIM Solo http://www.aim-store...Solo/Solo.html.

$400 for GPS laptimes and can be downloaded to Race Studio and speed traces can be compared to those willing to share data. Doesn't have any data ports for Air/fuel, Accel, etc. but would be huge for those just wanting to see if their really going 95 through T10 :o

-bw

I have several of these units and they are fantastic. I will have at least one at the next SCCA race as well as the Sept ICSCC race in Seattle so if anyone wants to see how it works I can show it to you. I have one available as a rental as well in case your not sure about it and want to try it out. This unit requires zero wires, is self powered and has 2 huge magnets on the back of it so it can literally be installed in a Miata in seconds..... When you come off track it summarizes your on track session with the 3 fastest laps as well as high and low speed for every lap. Very cool device!

Sean
Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999

I have several of these units and they are fantastic. I will have at least one at the next SCCA race as well as the Sept ICSCC race in Seattle so if anyone wants to see how it works I can show it to you. I have one available as a rental as well in case your not sure about it and want to try it out. This unit requires zero wires, is self powered and has 2 huge magnets on the back of it so it can literally be installed in a Miata in seconds..... When you come off track it summarizes your on track session with the 3 fastest laps as well as high and low speed for every lap. Very cool device!

Sean

Sean...your link to the Aim store comes up in GERMAN....no sprecken zei deutsch!. :unsure:

Bill-

oh crap, how do you delete a post?? CANCEL, CANCEL,. CANCEL....I need another cup of coffee.....
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Sean

Make sure to click the English site at bottom, or you will be trying to read German.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
If you guys have a regional toyo contingency deal in place, why don't you ask Hoosier if they will put a similar amount of money in your regional prize pool? If so, phase out the toyos. If not, stick with toyo for regionals.

Like?

Disclaminer: I'm not in your region.

or *cough* try nittos ;)
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
They won't sell you one from the Euro site, in Euros it's more than a hundred bucks compared to here . Need to use AIM US. MyChron Mike has it up. http://www.aimsports...solo/index.html The Euros also list a another version that has CANa dn OBDII for more inputs.

Kyle Keenan

Kyle Keenan

Pass right

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:Oregon Region
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:44

Sean

Might be interested in trying it Sean. I've got a Traqmate now, would be interesting to compare the two systems!

#44 Team KBR/KKRProducts.com Spec Miata
#44 Team KBR/Dick Hannah Kia Rio B-Spec/ World Challenge TCB
#16 & #36 Blairco Spec Miata's, ICSCC

2014 SCCA B-Spec National Champion

Dick Hannah Dealerships | Kia Racing | Team-KBR.com | KKRProducts.com | DBB | Fast Specialties | Blairco Heating | SBOX Engineering | Sikk Shades by Eddie Bauer, JR | Hawk Performance

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Terrell Garrett

Terrell Garrett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:NW
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:3
Back on topic I do not like the idea of a mid-season change. Doing such would mean that a bunch of us will have RA-1's with rubber left on them that we cannot use. Granted, we could use them for practice and then change for qualifying and the race (more rims in ownership requirement).

More realistically, I would like to see it open to both tires for the entire season. That way the driver gets to choose when to switch over. This would be based upon desire to go faster, economics of running out existing tires, and personal choice. Nobody who wants to run out their RA-1's would be left with unusable tires. In fact, the front-pack guys would probably sell all their used RA-1's to mid- and back-pack guys cheap which would help everyone's racing budget.

In my situation I will be using up all of my RA-1's in September and have secured purchase of used RA-1's to finish the weekend (I have two sets that are just about done for). This puts me on fresh Hoosiers for next year should the regional rule allow both next spring. This by happenstance works very well for me. Randy has good RA-1's that he will need to run out next year before switching. I am sure there are others whose situations fit somewhere in the middle. Drivers have a lot of tires out there they need to get their money out of and implementing a set date for change will invariably cause multiple people to end up with a set of 4 heat cycle RA-1's they can't use. My vote is a dual tire rule for next year just like with the 888's. In the alternative drop CSM and create the SMT class for next year only. Drop CSM no matter what as nobody enters it in SCCA. It's not worth risking the engine.

As far as Randy's practice 888's I can't help him there. Those rotten tires never wear out and die, they just get harder and slower with each use.

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Back on topic I do not like the idea of a mid-season change. Doing such would mean that a bunch of us will have RA-1's with rubber left on them that we cannot use. Granted, we could use them for practice and then change for qualifying and the race (more rims in ownership requirement).

More realistically, I would like to see it open to both tires for the entire season. That way the driver gets to choose when to switch over. This would be based upon desire to go faster, economics of running out existing tires, and personal choice. Nobody who wants to run out their RA-1's would be left with unusable tires. In fact, the front-pack guys would probably sell all their used RA-1's to mid- and back-pack guys cheap which would help everyone's racing budget.

In my situation I will be using up all of my RA-1's in September and have secured purchase of used RA-1's to finish the weekend (I have two sets that are just about done for). This puts me on fresh Hoosiers for next year should the regional rule allow both next spring. This by happenstance works very well for me. Randy has good RA-1's that he will need to run out next year before switching. I am sure there are others whose situations fit somewhere in the middle. Drivers have a lot of tires out there they need to get their money out of and implementing a set date for change will invariably cause multiple people to end up with a set of 4 heat cycle RA-1's they can't use. My vote is a dual tire rule for next year just like with the 888's. In the alternative drop CSM and create the SMT class for next year only. Drop CSM no matter what as nobody enters it in SCCA. It's not worth risking the engine.

As far as Randy's practice 888's I can't help him there. Those rotten tires never wear out and die, they just get harder and slower with each use.

Terrell -

You make an excellent point regarding allowing RA-1's for the entire 2012 season with respect to regional racing. Why it makes sense is that since some of the SCCA guys like to jump over into Conference on occasion, ICSCC rules will mirror SCCA Oregon with one little twist. If their is a tire change with SCCA Oregon (and there has been with Hoosier for 2012 National), the previous year tire, in this case RA-1's, will be allowed for the entire 2012 year. Essentially this will then allow someone with lots of RA-1s, or the ability to get some pretty good used ones from some of the front running National guys, to defer the purchase of Hoosiers until 2013....if Oregon chooses to set a cut off date for RA-1s, it will still be RA-1's for Conference for the entire 2012 race season. Not sure if that will drive more SCCA racers to Conference, but it could.

Bill-

ps: are you planning on coming out to ORP with Conference in September? T-girl will be there!! ;)

Terrell Garrett

Terrell Garrett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:NW
  • Car Number:3
Can't make ORP as my parents are visiting from out of state that weekend. SCCA Sept. race is the last for me this year as elk season starts in October. Just bought my tickets for the New Mexico hunt and my brother will be coming up to hunt Hells Canyon with me in Oregon. Yes, I am taking off two weeks in October to chase around and hopeully lethally dispatch a poor, defenseless animal which I could much cheaper purchase at the meat store. Sound a little like racing? Maybe we should all drive Neons with street tires.

With respect to Tracey, she needs the win for her points race. Although I do like driving with her biohazard sign in my rear-view mirror! Sure beats looking at that smiley face for an entire race. I have a feeling that next year she and I will have a few spirited battles and her husband and I will tip a few red cups of yellowish liquid that looks like Mountain Dew but has an agave odor. That sure was a good joke Phil Rees pulled on her after the last Conference race.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
Both tires all year does sound better and better. Or do that until June, then figure it out from there. The change will happen eventually and whatever the date some people will get stuck with life left in leftover Toyos.

With respect to CSM, SMT, etc. I don't think it matters much except Rose Cup. There is no claming rule in the OR regions CSM so that's a non issue. There were as many racers from conference or out of the area as regulars. I'd rather not discourage anyone from racing because they'd need new tires for one weekend or think that anyone running the other tires would have an advantage. Come one, come all. Pick a class. We're all running in the same group, hopefully it is very large and entirely Miatas, and if you're in a Miata at roughly my speed, I will race you regardless of what stickers are on your car.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
Incidentally, what's the name of the shop that mans the Hoosier truck? If I can make Sept, I need to come out early and have them shave down my butchered wets for a set of drys and use my 888s to finish the season.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Mike Colangelo

Mike Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Region:Cal Club (SoCal)

Incidentally, what's the name of the shop that mans the Hoosier truck? If I can make Sept, I need to come out early and have them shave down my butchered wets for a set of drys and use my 888s to finish the season.

Keith, I think you mean Trackside Motorsports/A-n-T Tire (same company): http://www.trackside....com/index.html

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
Those are the guys. Thanks Mike!

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Number:68

Terrell, just so we're all clear about Tom's proposed rule (or at least how I thought I understood it), we would start the season with Toyo only, then mid-season switch to Toyo AND Hoosier. The reason I liked this idea is that the folks running nationals would need to wait until mid season to bring the alleged faster tires to regional races. I think it's a compromise for everyone because the folks running national would need to purchase Toyos at the beginning of the year, but would then be allowed to cycle in their new tires mid way through the year. It would also give those with existing sets of Toyos the chance to use them up or sell them to those who need them, or just run them all year long.

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Randy Thieme

Randy Thieme

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Car Number:51

Both tires all year does sound better and better. Or do that until June, then figure it out from there. The change will happen eventually and whatever the date some people will get stuck with life left in leftover Toyos.

With respect to CSM, SMT, etc. I don't think it matters much except Rose Cup. There is no claming rule in the OR regions CSM so that's a non issue. There were as many racers from conference or out of the area as regulars. I'd rather not discourage anyone from racing because they'd need new tires for one weekend or think that anyone running the other tires would have an advantage. Come one, come all. Pick a class. We're all running in the same group, hopefully it is very large and entirely Miatas, and if you're in a Miata at roughly my speed, I will race you regardless of what stickers are on your car.

Keith has a good point. If Toyos are disallowed mid-year let's make the date after Rose Cup so it's easier for Conference racers with Toyo's to join us.

Randy Thieme

Randy Thieme

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Car Number:51
BTW The main thread on this subject is up to 8 pages. Yikes!

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Car Number:68

Keith has a good point. If Toyos are disallowed mid-year let's make the date after Rose Cup so it's easier for Conference racers with Toyo's to join us.

I thnk it's important that we allow Toyos at least through 2012 season. I think this is more about when and if (or how) we allow Hoosiers in Regional.

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

SM Tom

SM Tom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:00
Bruce,

You are correct about my proposal.

Tom

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

I thnk it's important that we allow Toyos at least through 2012 season. I think this is more about when and if (or how) we allow Hoosiers in Regional.

-bw

If we are going to go against the National grain in our region to run Toyo's only, I would respectfully request that prior to any decision on this, we work with Toyo to get a good contingency payout. I know they are doing contingencies for the Pro3 Guys and I have heard other regions for SM as well. Even though the contingency money or Toyo bucks might not be able to be used for a tire that would be legal in 13, if we like running Toyo's in OR Region, then there is no reason we can not do it again in 13. If I recall correctly the Toyo bucks can be used for any Toyo product correct? So therefore street tires could be purchased for your vehicle of choice.

At some point Toyo is going to kill the RA-1 and my guess is that it will be VERY soon due to the SCCA announcement so we may end up in a situation where we will only be able to get 888's. If its 888's or Hoosiers, what are you going to choose? If its 888's only from Toyo I think you will see NASA and hopefully ICSCC allow the Hoosier into play.

I can say from personal experience that the Hoosier will cost us the same and it will last as long as the Toyo (potentially longer) and it will be faster.

I will vote with the masses here, I really don't care except that I am afraid we are going to choose Toyo and then not be able to get the RA1 and be forced on to the 888 which I don't think anyone really wants.

Sean
Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users