Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dave gomberg

dave gomberg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Region:WDC

Mike,
Throughout my 16+ years doing this, that has always been the procedure. I had no issue with the start of your race because, no 1, I had set such a slow pace to get the pack tightened up, and no 2, they did not not just go mat out as I had seen in the past. It was a gradual, but rapid increase in speed if you know what I mean. In my mind, no foul.
But as I was told by my director, he believess it may have been voted out of the GCR at the latest meeting, so you would not see it in print yet. Either way, I had no problems with the initial start, however, I was not the "Safety Car" driver for the full course yellow. Therefore I cannot comment on what happened.
Jack

The CRB has proposed no such rule change. We have proposed an expansion of Full Course Yellow procedures. See the August Fastrack, letter #4731.

Dave
  • Nsparks likes this

Dennis Valet

Dennis Valet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Region:NYR
From an objective point of view, the contact looks incidental from the in car video...but when you build a reputation, people will not ignore it. It's hard to assume that it was incidental given reputations and past behavior.

I was taking pictures in turn 5, and I was able to see what happened when Drago was being lapped. He clearly let EG go around to his right (preferred line) and forced SG to go all the way to the left, up against the grass, going into turn 6. I don't blame him, but he certainly forced SG off the preferred line. My favorite part of that exchange was the announcer

"EG has managed to open up a few car length lead coming out of turn 6, I don't know how that happened"

I'll post some photos I took in a bit. All I can say is that I rent a SM from Flatout whenever I race, and I like SM racing...but it's hard to take this class seriously. There's too much drama and too much cheating, not to mention the money that is spent to run up front.This class really could use a reformation - people need to figure out what is important and have some respect for each other out there.
  • pat slattery likes this

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

I'll post some photos I took in a bit. All I can say is that I rent a SM from Flatout whenever I race, and I like SM racing...but it's hard to take this class seriously. There's too much drama and too much cheating, not to mention the money that is spent to run up front.This class really could use a reformation - people need to figure out what is important and have some respect for each other out there.

This is one of the most serious classes in club sports car racing. Welcome to competitive racing. ;) Go run some regional short track and when you come back you'll see that even the most drama filled aren't quite as bad as you make them out to be.

Dennis Valet

Dennis Valet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

This is one of the most serious classes in club sports car racing. Welcome to competitive racing. ;) Go run some regional short track and when you come back you'll see that even the most drama filled aren't quite as bad as you make them out to be.

Sorry, but there are other places to race in the SCCA if you want competitive racing without the drama. That's all I'm pointing out. SM has the advantageous position of being the most popular class in the SCCA, and then for the past two years, gets marred in the runoffs. Competition does not mean you lose all respect for your opposition.

Dennis Valet

Dennis Valet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts
As promised, some photos I took - I was only there for race day.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39
Dennis - thanks for posting the pics - some really great shots you have there. That first pic with Drago still with us says it all - tight close racing - thats why this class rocks.

Tom - hang on there dude!!!!

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94
Terrific photos. Danny, your car is extremely photogenic. Actually most of the cars look much better than the drivers.

My line? That's the fast way. You'll all be driving that line next year.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Is that an NA? :yep:

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Tom, I agree in a race car loose is fast, but about that fast line, as I remember from the T5 stands. ;)

Ron, no, the blue/white car three spots rear in the last picture is a 1.6. (Shan Slattery) As fast as Tom was this at this years Runoffs I think his car had a prep stuf job (ya know with a 1.6 on each side V) done on the left coast. Tom, overall a GREAT job at the Runoffs.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Chris70

Chris70

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Region:NER
Hello everyone
Elivan and I would like to thank everyone for the tremendous amount of support we received for the Runoffs win..
I am sorry for the late post but real life got on the way.
It was great to finally meet a lot of people whom I have had dealings over the years, it is always a good feeling to meet people face to face, it was also nice to see old friends (JD the first) :-)
If I named everyone that I would like to this post would go on for hours, you all know who you are, it was one of the greatest outpouring of support I have ever seem in over 47 years of racing (yes, I am that old).
This is Elivan and ours 3rd runoffs gold and 1 SCCA pro championship.
For all those that are always looking at the negative side of the class let me tell you this ;
After 4 years or so into building spec miatas and over 17 motors and about 500 hours of dyno time it took and honest and reciprocal exchange of knowledge with Jim Drago for both of us to reach the results we have achieved, so sometimes you have to trust another and when a relationship is to the advantage of BOTH sides the results will come, that also works on all aspects of life, one sided relationships
dont work for long.
Also like to thank Chris Maybury for lending us his new car that we had just finished building and we also learned that it is not good to show up in the middle of the week for the runoffs, I had but ONE chance to get the car right and it worked this time but I dont want to try that again.
Kudos to the SCCA staff for the professional way the whole event was handled on and off the track.
Cheers
Ademir Fedumenti (The dad, wrench )
Elivan Goulart (the son, wheel man)
S.A.C. racing (the money pit )
Savings Auto Center (pays the bills, Tks. Chris the other son)
Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Ademir, met you in your paddock at the Runoffs. Totally enjoy your laughter especally with the envelope in your hand. Great job to Elivan, you & your team. :thumbsup:
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
Just found this online - In car camera video from Steve Gorriaran - just shows the first lap of the 2011 Runoffs. Also posted this in the Video subforum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkHRRr1nd40

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Number:22
Awesome view on your slide into the kink. :nerd:
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03
A couple of observations. First, that was a hell of a catch in the kink Danny. Even looked like more of an "oh crap" moment than your in car video.

Second, it appears to me Gorrorian had equal motor to the rest despite his whining post race.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA