screaming monkey

screaming monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Region:WI
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:65

I bought a pretty inexpensive older car a few years ago. Original 125K motor and not much else. Got the tires...added a torsen diff...tuned the AFM...did wheel bearings etc and ran pretty much mid pack. Blamed it on the car. Then went to the dyno and found the cars HP and Torque numbers were pretty good, everything considering. Then handed the car to a real SM top flight driver and found the car capable of doing 2.5 seconds faster at a track where I had been running mid pack. I am afraid what you will find...and will need to get a hold of, is that for most of us, the car is secondary to the skill of the driver. Right now after 2 years, I'm still a mid pack driver, but getting better. The car is capable of running much faster than I can drive it. I think that is the experience of most of the SM drivers out there. Spec Miata will humble you especially if you think you are a great driver right off the bat!!

Bill-

+1 the last two thirds.
Since my last visit to this thread it has become a sm love fest :grouphug: , an online intervention :shame: and some sort of specipedia :noidea: . I love this bar... :toast:

Richard Scott Mooney
"Warm up your tires, brakes and brains"

jaje

jaje

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:NASA Central
  • Car Year:1994
I'm racing SM next year in NASA's new Central Region (in fact helping seed it with new drivers). I will probably refresh my own motor and hope it lasts the year as I do not want to spend the money to buy a built motor. I figure year 1 get used to driving it (though I come from 944-Spec so shouldn't be too hard). I do like the idea of a sealed motor from specific shops that are audited to ensure similar practices (that should eliminate the need for at the track dyno runs).

#74 Spec Miata
NASA CR Race Director
My Blog

htron435

htron435

Can't reMember

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Region:NASA Great Lakes
  • Car Number:113
Please. Someone. Anyone. Put a wrap on this thread! I can't take any more. :banghead:

Shut up and drive. :cheers:
  • Caveman-kwebb99 likes this

Jay North
ATC Trailer Dealer
www.jaynorthauto.com

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Please. Someone. Anyone. Put a wrap on this thread! I can't take any more. :banghead:

Shut up and drive. :cheers:

Well, the off-season ends in a matter of weeks and at that point the future will be upon us so this thing should die due to necessity then. Until then there are some holidays to be enjoyed. After that I predict threads discussing that the 1.6 still can't win, the '99 is still an overdog while the 1.8 crowd cries that they can't win at anything less than 47mm. Meanwhile a few sneaky folks will build dominant '01 cars while the rest of us aren't looking.
  • Jim Drago, Charlie Hayes, Go Time Racing and 1 other like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Go Time Racing

Go Time Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Well, the off-season ends in a matter of weeks and at that point the future will be upon us so this thing should die due to necessity then. Until then there are some holidays to be enjoyed. After that I predict threads discussing that the 1.6 still can't win, the '99 is still an overdog while the 1.8 crowd cries that they can't win at anything less than 47mm. Meanwhile a few sneaky folks will build dominant '01 cars while the rest of us aren't looking.

Interesting... the mystery of the unknown 01 Miata left at my shop is finally solved! :scratchchin:
"Common sense... It's not rocket science."

Mike Tesch

htron435

htron435

Can't reMember

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Region:NASA Great Lakes
  • Car Number:113
Tom, thanks for reminding me. I forgot to ad that I can't possibly win in my lowly 1.6. :thumbsup:

Jay North
ATC Trailer Dealer
www.jaynorthauto.com

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian Wright

Brian Wright

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:NC
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:SM 10
Great thread. I like the ideas coming forth. SM is still the best class that it offers great competition at just about any level with an affordable price point. But once we get into a position of wanting to compete for points/wins/championships, then the cubic dollars come into play.

Here's a thought to consider which may be in the same vane as the 5X Racing na/nb division. Divide the class into 2 groups. Use the pop-up headlight cars as the low-buck spec class (crate motors, spec intake/exhaust/tire) with budget in mind. Use the fixed headlight models to a more open modification architecture (open intake/exhaust/tire, engine tweaks) with performance in mind.

Either way, I agree that the premise behind the "SPEC" Miata class it to take the car out of the equasion so the competition is between drivers and the set-up of their cars. With such a great history of the Miata, we have a pretty big discrepancy between performance. Maybe there is a way to accomplish this without dividing the class?

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I don't think you can ever "take the car out of the equation" even in SRF, especially in SRF actually, the car is as important as the driver, maybe more among top drivers. I think limit is possible, but you'll never take it out of the equation

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
I see it less about taking the car out of the equation, but rather about taking the cost out of the car.
  • pat slattery likes this

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68
Which costs Jim? Tires have been by far the biggest cost for me -- not engine, body work, or any other single item has cost me nearly as much as tires. Even if we all ran junkyard engines, dynoed at 98hp, I'd still be spending several thousand bucks a year on tires to get a chance at the next win, so please fix that first :P

-bw
  • Cnj likes this

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
Tires are a consumable, like gas and oil. We all consume them at about the same minimum rate. Yes, some choose to always be on new rubber, but it's still based on consumption rates. If we had shocks free, for instance, there would be an arms race where some would spend tens of thousands of dollars to find the perfect shock. So we have a shock spec, and it lowers the cost for everyone. Same with wheels, same with minimum weights. We spec a whole bunch of things (including tires!) in order to preclude as much of the arms race as possible.

For what purpose? To reduce the cost of the car, and ultimately the cost of racing.

As for tires, mine are stamped 05 -- I'll trade with you any time! ;)

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32

Tires are a consumable, like gas and oil. We all consume them at about the same minimum rate. Yes, some choose to always be on new rubber, but it's still based on consumption rates. If we had shocks free, for instance, there would be an arms race where some would spend tens of thousands of dollars to find the perfect shock. So we have a shock spec, and it lowers the cost for everyone. Same with wheels, same with minimum weights. We spec a whole bunch of things (including tires!) in order to preclude as much of the arms race as possible.

For what purpose? To reduce the cost of the car, and ultimately the cost of racing.

As for tires, mine are stamped 05 -- I'll trade with you any time! ;A

So what, in your opinion, is not sufficiently specified in the rules in order to lower costs?

Cnj
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
I was merely presenting a different viewpoint from Jim's. I wish I had all the answers, but I don't. It does seem to a lot of us, however, that the cost of racing has gone way up, without a commensurate increase in the fun. If we can reel that back somehow, it would be very welcome.

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

I was merely presenting a different viewpoint from Jim's. I wish I had all the answers, but I don't. It does seem to a lot of us, however, that the cost of racing has gone way up, without a commensurate increase in the fun. If we can reel that back somehow, it would be very welcome.

Are you sure the cost of racing has gone up for you? Granted gas and entry fees may be marginally more expensive from 5 years ago, but not a significant amount. I think some people are racing on the same budget they did in 2007.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA