kverges

kverges

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:61
My backup 1.6 car is available and not quite as quick as my primary 1.6 car, but not nearly as expensive. You are welcome to drive it at MotorSport Ranch where it lives if you are seriously interested in buying a car. I am going to do SRF and SM next year so its not a sbig a deal if my SM is down for a race or 2. Best to get me at kverges - "at" figdav.com - I don't come here that often.

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Awesome! I was trying to make a point at the cars expense. From what I know......which obviously isn't anything :whistling: ....that looks like a good car at a good price. Good luck with it!

Right. I think defining what a "competitive car" is will determine if it is affordable, as the class was designed to be. I think a "competitive car" is one that can finish in the top half of the field with an average driver. So, I think there are competitive cars in the $10-15K range. Defining a "competitive car" as one that can win is too optimistic...that would be a "winning car".

As I see it, you (average driver) should be able to be competitive (top half of field) in an affordable ($10-15K) Spec Miata.
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Colin MacLean

Colin MacLean

Fly Fifer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Right. I think defining what a "competitive car" is will determine if it is affordable, as the class was designed to be. I think a "competitive car" is one that can finish in the top half of the field with an average driver. So, I think there are competitive cars in the $10-15K range. Defining a "competitive car" as one that can win is too optimistic...that would be a "winning car".

As I see it, you (average driver) should be able to be competitive (top half of field) in an affordable ($10-15K) Spec Miata.

I think you're stretching the definition of "competitive" here :) Yes you can finish top-half of the field in a 10-15K Miata, good luck making the podium though. That's not easy with the talent pool in SM. To me, if your car can't finish on the podium with a top driver it's not competitive.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
Now that I'm on a posting roll, I want to dig up all the previous turmoil in the earlier sections of this thread. The big question of parity between the 3 generations of SM likely won't go away with the new weights & plates, and as others have said the Runoffs is the 800lbs elephant in the room. The concern is that many good NA cars/drivers don't come because the track is suited to the '99's. That's a shame.

I don't support splitting the class, but there needs to be some incentive to come for drivers/cars that feel they can't win. Surely there must be some SM-specific sponsor that would post some big award/contingency for the top NA 1.6 and 1.8 cars. Sure, you wouldn't get the big medal, but maybe some enticing prize. What would it take to convince the best NA cars/drivers to come to Wisconsin, even if they felt they were at a disadvantage to the '99's? Maybe '99 drivers should contribute to a fund that would buy this prize...ha ha.

(Since I'm investing in my own car, I want to help make this class as good as possible.)
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

To me, if your car can't finish on the podium with a top driver it's not competitive.

Well, then we agree. I said average driver. A "top driver" should be top 5 or podium in a "competitive car".
Domm Leuci

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68

I think you're stretching the definition of "competitive" here :) Yes you can finish top-half of the field in a 10-15K Miata, good luck making the podium though. That's not easy with the talent pool in SM. To me, if your car can't finish on the podium with a top driver it's not competitive.

I can think of two cars that sold in the last couple years that could potentially win a regional or even national event. That might be a function of more NAs on the West coast and more likely a result of the economy. Not going to find those cars everyday. In fact one of those cars was not even in any classifieds, but that is why "homework" is absolutely necessary.

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:32

My car does not have "Willie the Tard" on it anymore -- and don't believe anything I say is rather harsh -- lets call it 50%

Yes I agree with Willie, I was probably being a little harsh, my apologies. You can trust about 50% of what he says :)

Cnj
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

What would it take to convince the best NA cars/drivers to come to Wisconsin

Move the event to Ohio?

I had a daydream - I wish I had the means to build the mythical 'all the bells and whistles, no compromise' 1.6 car, and then hire a top driver to wheel it at the Runoffs - just to weed out the BS.

How do y'all think it would do?

P.S.: Over on the ARRC results thread it appears some are suggesting that there is a wide-spread problem with non-compliance in SM, to the point that full teardowns are require at non-championship events. Shocking!!!
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Move the event to Ohio?

I had a daydream - I wish I had the means to build the mythical 'all the bells and whistles, no compromise' 1.6 car, and then hire a top driver to wheel it at the Runoffs - just to weed out the BS.

How do y'all think it would do?

P.S.: Over on the ARRC results thread it appears some are suggesting that there is a wide-spread problem with non-compliance in SM, to the point that full teardowns are require at non-championship events. Shocking!!!

First question..
Why don't you ask Steyn and Buras what they found when comparing data from the ARRC. Rather than popular opinions in either direction.. they have data.

ARRC is a REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.... There should be tech there. The tech issue is a funny one.. most, not you.. wwant to tech the winners and front guys, but why tech me, I finished 10th?? IMO tech should always be the top 3 and 3 random cars.
  • Steve D likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

ARRC is a REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

Then drivers who scored national points during the year should not be eligible to compete. Also, it is not an official championship, is it?

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Then drivers who scored national points during the year should not be eligible to compete. Also, it is not an official championship, is it?

What are you calling official? The winner of the event is the ARRC champion, IMO the third biggest race in SM?

Why shouldn't people scoring National points be eligible?

NO one in SM is getting a professional drive anytime soon, if ever... The fact that SM2 is even an option really bothers me.. IMO, very similiar to the trophies down to 10th place in children's sports...

I floated an idea by Butch that did not have any traction..
SM- open to all cars and drivers
SM2- Open to all cars and regional only drivers
SSM-SSM

Their is no justifiable reason for SM2 the way it stands right now.. I think Kopp, Buras, Balanos and Blake pretty much dispelled that myth. If Buras doesn't put it off in T3, a 1.6 wins overall.
  • Glenn likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

The winner of the event is the ARRC champion

Good point.

Why shouldn't people scoring National points be eligible?

I understand that the Atl Region wants as many entries as possible, come one, come all. Makes sense. But you cannot call it the (default) Regional Championship or 'Regional Runoffs', by definition, if you permit national drivers to enter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but up until a year or two ago, didn't they exclude drivers with national points?

-BJM

PS: I meant I would like to see if an all-out 1.6 and top driver could compete at Road America, not Road Atlanta. It's been suggested that none have shown up to date. I wish I had the funds to test this theory.

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79
If Buras doesn't put it off in T3, a 1.6 wins overall

Would that hold true if DS doesn't crash on the first lap, or Blake's gear box doesn't let go?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Waterboy

Waterboy

MEATHEAD Racing Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:15

Would that hold true if DS doesn't crash on the first lap, or Blake's gear box doesn't let go?

Probably but wasn't blake in a 1.8 which is supposedly even more of an underdog than the 1.6. And Kopp finished 3rd in the 1.6.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Pat
it is racing... Could haves and would haves are meaningless... I suggest you pose it to Danny or Todd. He had Danny and Brown in his rear view until he retired?

Fact: They finished P2, P3 in front of lots of good 99's.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Correct me if I'm wrong, but up until a year or two ago, didn't they exclude drivers with national points?

-BJM

No. They excluded drivers that raced in the Runoffs, not drivers with national points.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA