Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:45

Please tell me that was a joke! If you work for the FAA and can't figure out what shocks go on the front or back I am staying out of your airspace (that is a joke).
These are not on cars of people that do not know where to place their shocks, as if that is difficult anyway. Sorry but re-valved shocks are everywhere and they are NOT oem nor are they intended to be. However I do not hold any vendor responsible as they only provided services that people ask for; what they do with them is their business. Have you looked at the cost of a new shock versus what it costs to get re-valved? It hardly justifies not buying a new one. Of course this is beyond the scope of this thread and really has nothing to do with testing errors, etc. I was talking about those with a total disregard for the rules; not those that ordered legal shocks.

Well, it wasn't a joke, only in the sense that mine CAME labeled when I bought the car....however no SD sticker on them? I guess I was looking at the front brackets on them and knew they went on different sides (according to those) and I knew those brackets were useless on my application. However I didn't know that they were interchangable...lesson learned from the gurus. Now you have me wondering why they were labeled :noidea:

Feel free to call me Tracy, Mr. Drago.
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Number:97

Well, it wasn't a joke, only in the sense that mine CAME labeled when I bought the car....however no SD sticker on them? I guess I was looking at the front brackets on them and knew they went on different sides (according to those) and I knew those brackets were useless on my application. However I didn't know that they were interchangable...lesson learned from the gurus. Now you have me wondering why they were labeled :noidea:

Feel free to call me Tracy, Mr. Drago.

You never know why they are labeled which was my point. Unless you are running the Runoffs I doubt they would ever be checked anyway; which is a topic all it self. However shocks are so low on the list of things made to make a Miata go fast it is amazing that anybody was found to be non-compliant. I have heard that drivers had big motors, fuel, Ecus, soaked tires (we know who you are :) ) and a host of other items but I have never heard a fellow driver complain because somebody else had better shocks.
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

You never know why they are labeled which was my point.

I'd presume they are labeled because you get a dyno sheet telling you how each shock performed. Having them labeled makes it easy for the dyno operator to keep them straight. Also, if you have an issue with your shocks down the road and send them back in, it then becomes very easy to make sure you are talking about the same shock(s). When you get them back you can put them on the same corner to see if they issue follows the shock, was random etc. etc. etc.

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94
Jeesh, labellng shocks is a big deal? We label shocks, tires, hubs, brake parts, etc just because we like to put things back in the same place that they were before we took them off the car. A suspension engineer would tell you that if you want to make our cars handle better, the dampers (they like to call them that rather than shocks) need to be substantially revised. If somebody is gong to cheat shocks for a big benefit, they will be way out of spec, not near the edge. I can't recall the last time anyone was caught with a shock that was way off the mark and I think that shocks get looked at in Runoffs tech each year, NASA Champ tech and the ARRC?
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

John, I will ask you directly since you obviously have more personal knowledge of Stewart Development and the product he puts out. It has been my understanding that SD builds(re-builds) a shock to the best possible number...right to the edge of the current rule set...which of course should test "legal" when it leaves his shop. What true gain if any over a new factory shock is truly only known by the shock guru's of the world. With the way the current shock rule is written, is it possible for a brand new factory shock to "Fail"?? I would imagine they have tolerances and occasionally fall outside those? Do you feel every effort is made by SD to put out an accurate(spec)well built shock? Is it very easy for an end user to ask for and get something other than a SD1 or SD2...maybe a street tuner/HPDE/autocross guy? Happy to get a PM. Thanks.

Good question Ron! The short answer is all SD SM shock rebuilds are built with a stupid level of attention to detail. which is part of why they take so long sometimes. Honestly, many complain about delivery but I've heard very few complains about the quality.
  • SD1 rebuilds are not revalved
  • SD2 rebuilds are optimized within the SCCA spec (NASA adapted this spec for the 2011 Nationals)

Bilstien's manufacturing tolerances are large, but if properly tested at the SCCA spec I'd guess that very very small percent would not pass... So I guess I'm saying it's possible just not very probable that a new out-of-the box shock would fail at the SCCA spec. However, if the testing procedures are so bad as to cause up to a 10% variance from actual, I'd say it would become very probable. --- Which in my opinion what D.Wheeler experienced as his SD1's were not revalved.

Does this answer your question Ron?
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

However shocks are so low on the list of things made to make a Miata go fast it is amazing that anybody was found to be non-compliant. I have heard that drivers had big motors, fuel, Ecus, soaked tires (we know who you are :) ) and a host of other items but I have never heard a fellow driver complain because somebody else had better shocks.

Really? Shocks are HUGE for feel... They are what attach the tires to the car and the car to your butt.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Does this answer your question Ron?

I felt comfortable with the product before and just wanted to confirm my suspicions about certain factors. Thanks!

Ron

RAmotorsports

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Car Number:72
Allow me to put a different hat on. As former chairman of the SMAC, I was involved in the shock spec rule making procedure. This is all from a 3 year old memory, so forgive me if I have something wrong. Possibly Jim, Mike or Tom can correct/back me up.

SCCA purchased several sets of stock shocks. Ran them on their dyno, using their procedures. Then averaged the results. This gave a "typical" new shock spec. Then an allowable tolerance was added. This tolerance was far beyond what any of the tested shocks reached. Our discussion was that if you got anywhere near the tolerance, your shock was modified.

I know enough about shocks to be dangerous. I have never used a shock dyno. My Runoffs shocks were found compliant. I did not see the procedure that SCCA used at Road America or in their test lab in Topeka. Obviously, I have never seen Bernies procedures.

I will also agree with John, based on everything I have ever been told by Bernie. SD1 shocks are not revalved only rebuilt using some higher quality bits. SD2 are a revalve.

My issue is very simple. I asked/paid for/expected a shock that would pass SCCA spec when tested by SCCA. On 3 of 8 shocks, I did not recieve what I paid for. Seems very simple to me.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91
Then the spec got published, but without the screwdriver lower mount test procedure. :whistling:
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

... SCCA purchased several sets of stock shocks. Ran them on their dyno, using their procedures....

I'm not an SCCA member... Is it possible for a member to request a copy of the procedure document?

I will also agree with John, based on everything I have ever been told by Bernie. SD1 shocks are not revalved only rebuilt using some higher quality bits. SD2 are a revalve.

Close, I don't think any parts are being replaced unless they are damaged or worn.

My understanding through conversations (we've never talked specifically about what he does, cuz I'd not understand anyway) are that on for SD1's some of the internal parts are cleaned and polished to take the porous and rough casting/machining marks off, also the NEW oil that is used is filtered to keep crap from floating around & clogging up the valves. Basically making the internals more uniform thus a more balanced set. This alone would have very little effect on compression & rebound.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Then the spec got published, but without the screwdriver lower mount test procedure. :whistling:

I guess will have to see the spec but what, Tech was out of spec with the screw driver ?
That's funny if possibly true or a sad state of affairs for SCCA tech, however you want to look at it.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137
Interesting and deep thread over at mNet...

http://forum.miata.n...t=412254&page=5

I got a friend request from Bernie today on facebook and knew I remembered the name so I googled him. Mnet was the first article that came up :-x

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
After reading that thread I feel very fortunate to have gone through John...shipped off and got back shocks within 3-4 weeks. So is there any other shock rebuilder out there with better customer service?

Ron

RAmotorsports

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

After reading that thread I feel very fortunate to have gone through John...shipped off and got back shocks within 3-4 weeks. So is there any other shock rebuilder out there with better customer service?

Thanks Ron.

Honestly, SD's Spec Miata shock rebuild process is rather well sorted, so usually it's not one of ours that causes the problems. It's the street car & other one-off projects that manufacture the drama (not that this justifies for poor customer service). I still highly recommend Bernie's services for SM shocks. They may take longer than the three weeks Weekend-Racer.com clients were getting but they are always worth it once you take the green & the off-season is a perfect time to get them done.

My understanding is that Bilstien has shut-down their east coast service location so all work for all their shocks are done in SoCal w/ lead times of 7-to-9 weeks.... Again, this is what I have heard, I've not confirmed.

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
I echo Ron's question. My street car has revalved Koni shocks that provide better control than the off the shelf Bilstein HD.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
would this work any better to buy a finished product with a core charge?

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

would this work any better to buy a finished product with a core charge?

It would. There are inherent problems with that too but they are overcome'able and there are a surprisingly large number of people who what "their shocks back"... I'm still helping Bernie with process improvement and some other minor things, a pseudo-core program is something SD hopes to offer in the hear future.

Blake Clements

Blake Clements

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
  • Car Number:6
Is polishing internal parts of the shocks legal? Thats what I'm hearing.

Blake Clements

http://www.blakeclements.com - Driver Coaching, Consulting, & Video/Data Analysis.

OPM Autosports/SP Induction Systems/X-Factor Racing/G-Loc Brakes/Traqmate/Bell Helmets

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner -

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Car Number:72
Is polishing the insides of your intake manifold legal??????

If it does not say you can, you can not. But, can you get away with it is a different question.

Not accusing anyone, just making a point.

Dave
Still 2 seconds off the pace

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

It would. There are inherent problems with that too but they are overcome'able and there are a surprisingly large number of people who what "their shocks back"... I'm still helping Bernie with process improvement and some other minor things, a pseudo-core program is something SD hopes to offer in the hear future.

id prefer to have my shocks back too, but if the option is to wait 6 months or get some one else's back quicker I could GAF.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users