123 replies to this topic

Justin Fowler

Justin Fowler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48
I rebuilt my engine just this week, first startup my HLA's sounded exactly like that. Added a little bit of lucas oil stabilizer and the tick went away completely!

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
Austin;
Car is coming along nicely !!
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Austin Robison

Austin Robison

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:47
Thanks John!

Alberto and I got some more work done on the car today. Got the SD radiator in (though I see I forgot to take a picture) after drilling a new set of holes in the mounts so it would line up with the hooks on the frame. Guess all of those complaints about the fitment of these radiators were true ;) Easy enough once we got everything all lined up. The factor lower radiator hose fits great, the upper radiator hose is a bit short, so you'll need a longer hose for the top in addition to the longer overflow tube.

Austin Robison

Austin Robison

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
In addition to putting in the bigger radiator, we fixed a couple coolant leaks at the heater hose and the water return to the pump (where that crazy o-ring thing goes in). A little re-rounding of the bent up copper tube on the heater core and a little RTV on the gasket and no more leaks.

Following the coolant fixing, we set in on getting the dash reassembled. Previously, I'd put some new boots on the shifter, since the originals had long since disintegrated:

Posted Image

After much hacksawing, tinsnipping, and wishing we had a cutting wheel for the dremel tool, we had the dash cut around the roll cage and back in! (still might need a little plastic adjustment to get fully seated)

Posted Image

Kinda starting to look like a car again.

Austin Robison

Austin Robison

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Test fit the seat back in as well:

Posted Image

Even with the padding pulled out of the bottom I still don't have enough clearance on top for my helmet (and for not hitting the roll cage bar on the left). Not sure there's enough material left on the seat mount to move it sufficiently, so I might take everything back to Tony once it's all together and have him help me get it set correctly.

I also started to install the center net; where do you guys pass the straps through the dash? Cut a slot through the center of the eyeball vents perhaps?

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Austin, with the Halo seat you don't need the center net for NASA...and of course it isn't required in SCCA. But if for yourself and more safety cool!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Car Year:1990

I also started to install the center net; where do you guys pass the straps through the dash? Cut a slot through the center of the eyeball vents perhaps?

TC installed mine along with the seat when he did my cage. That plastic ducting behind the vent opening has been removed on my car and the strap passes through the opening closest to the driver connecting it to the dash bar. At least I think it is connected to the dash bar since I never looked at it that closely.

However, as Ron mentioned, you technically don't need it per SCCA rules on a halo seat.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Austin Robison

Austin Robison

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Austin, with the Halo seat you don't need the center net for NASA...and of course it isn't required in SCCA. But if for yourself and more safety cool!

Yep, just for a little additional safety!

Austin Robison

Austin Robison

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Got a bunch more work done yesterday with Brandon's help, which culminated in a midnight victory lap around the block!

(Here's the SD radiator, all hooked up and leak free)

Posted Image

The new undertray looks way too clean:

Posted Image

I've read a bunch of differing opinions on transponder placement, I'm considering the LF wheel well, though may go for the a rear-mounted location:

Posted Image

Austin Robison

Austin Robison

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I'm still waiting on delivery for my new calipers, so in the mean time I bolted the old ones back on with the new rotors and pads (going to try the carbotech setup). The car looks so much different not floating a foot or two off the ground ;)

Posted Image

Back from a lap around the block, I didn't even knock off any of the extensions I'd forgotten were resting on the hood ledges!

Posted Image

Austin Robison

Austin Robison

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I also stuck the hood, trunk and parts of the bumpers back on for fun (and for less suspicious drives around the block). I think the registration is still good through May, though, so perhaps I'll be able to just drive it to be painted, aligned, etc.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Austin Robison

Austin Robison

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Got the car back from paint jail today! Some final prep work this weekend, a trip to TC next week to fix up the seat mounting situation and fab a Laguna exhaust and I'm ready to roll for the race!

Posted Image

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
Oooo, shiny. :o

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Car Number:42
VERY PRETTY!!!

Austin Robison

Austin Robison

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Thanks guys! $300 well spent.

I got my calipers in the mail yesterday as well, so this weekend I'll be replacing the brake hydraulic system (master brake cylinder, steel lines, calipers), finishing up the wiring (kill switch and transponder), apply cheaty go-fast-parts (stickers and decals), getting my tires mounted to my wheels, and installing my LC-1 AFR gauge.

I suppose I should install the competition motor mounts that I got this week too; you can get to those without having to pull the engine, right? Just support it with a hoist and unbolt from the block?

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Thanks guys! $300 well spent.

I got my calipers in the mail yesterday as well, so this weekend I'll be replacing the brake hydraulic system (master brake cylinder, steel lines, calipers), finishing up the wiring (kill switch and transponder), apply cheaty go-fast-parts (stickers and decals), getting my tires mounted to my wheels, and installing my LC-1 AFR gauge.

I suppose I should install the competition motor mounts that I got this week too; you can get to those without having to pull the engine, right? Just support it with a hoist and unbolt from the block?

You can use a jack under the flat, front part of the trans (behind the engine oil pan) to lift the motor an inch. Don't really need much lift to replace them.

Did you weld the SD exhaust together? I understand they tend to fall off if you don't.

Austin Robison

Austin Robison

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Did you weld the SD exhaust together? I understand they tend to fall off if you don't.

I'm going to have TC weld that for me next week while they're fabbing the muffler and flange.

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
Cool.

btw, I just talked to Brandon. Book your hotel if you haven't already. Seems like there is something going on in Monterey and hotels have gotten pricey w/ limited availability.

Austin Robison

Austin Robison

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Cool.

btw, I just talked to Brandon. Book your hotel if you haven't already. Seems like there is something going on in Monterey and hotels have gotten pricey w/ limited availability.

I'm going to camp at the track (or at least this is the operating plan).

Austin Robison

Austin Robison

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Whew, sorry for the lack of updates everyone, it's been crazy busy what with work and trying to get this car ready for this weekend's race!

Over the weekend, I got the new calipers on, the exhaust straightened out (going to have that central part welded tomorrow), and most of the interior sorted. Plus...decals!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: build, na, scca, construction, 1991, 1.6L

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users