Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I added it to SMAC agenda, to specifically spell out whether removing of undercoating is legal or illegal.. Although they shot down my last request for a 1.6 intake.. :duck:

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
Once the rules get as lengthy as they are, it's really hard to cover everything, or even keep them consistent.

I jokingly prodded for a couple years about deleting cruise control. I was told that it was in the rules once, then was missed in a major rewrite. It took until last year to get it added back in but people didn't put it back in their cars prior to that. Tech inspectors were curious about that plate covering the fuel filler hose in my car. They'd never seen one in a car before. I've found inconsistencies in the rules after the detailed engine specs were added where things were covered in two sections that didn't agree (didn't bother to send a letter and I've forgotten what they were by now.)

I have to give it to the guys who write the rules...it isn't easy to cover absolutely everything and if you try they become incredibly lengthy, people start pulling out Websters dictionary and diagramming sentences to make it say what they think, and it can create more confusion than anything.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:32

. http://barking.roadd...ory/mexico-tour

Great blog. I had previously read some of your entertaining karting blog, but not your audio world blog. Did not know you had been in business with my buddy Kenny.

Cnj
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Great blog. I had previously read some of your entertaining karting blog, but not your audio world blog. Did not know you had been in business with my buddy Kenny.

Cnj

Thanks! Do you mean my "Crazy Uncle Kenny B", formerly of central MA? Both Ken and I are keeping low profiles in the biz these days. I'd get a real job but no one would hire me and I'd have to take a cut in pay... ;) There is a well respected acoustical designer with your initials. If you are he we met in Des Moines in 2004 but my mind was fuzzy from spending the previous evening at the Lumberyard. And the don't sell building supplies there.... :king:

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Jim B, your living up to your profile pic. Call it a gray area in racing or a loophole in the corporate world...it's not criminal until it gets closed or changes color :whistling:

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
Sorry guys. I get pretty riled up at people who know full well what they're doing is illegal, and they just wink and say it's all good as long as they don't get caught. I don't hang out with bank robbers, rapists, serial murderers, or others of that ilk. Is cheating your race car the same thing? Well, it's not AS harmful to others, and the penalties are lower, but yes, it's the same mind at work.

An interesting wrinkle about the difference between government laws and racing rules. We're all stuck with government rules, whether we approve of them or not. One might make a principled stand that we never agreed to obey those laws in the first place. On the other hand, there's racing, where each of us DID agree to abide by the rules. In that arena, breaking the rules is breaking your WORD. I for one take that seriously. For those of you who break their word routinely, well... stiff word or erection to you.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Number:88
This was a thread on whether removing undercoating was legal. I'm fairly sure it was established as legal or soon will be so I won't feel guilty picking it off as I crawl around under there and more of it gets loose and flaky. The differences between scope creep and manufacturing tolerances can be hashed in a different thread.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
What are you really trying to say Jim :burst: Seriously though, most completely understand your point and agree with you. I think DS and others were just pointing out(toungue and cheek) the flaws of the system by saying nanananananana...catch me if you can! You took that bait and swallowed it...just how i see it. Question for PS and DD...will you be throwing paper at the next event for those you know have removed this and repainted?
  • john mueller likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Sorry guys. I get pretty riled up at people who know full well what they're doing is illegal, and they just wink and say it's all good as long as they don't get caught. I don't hang out with bank robbers, rapists, serial murderers, or others of that ilk. Is cheating your race car the same thing? Well, it's not AS harmful to others, and the penalties are lower, but yes, it's the same mind at work.

Dude? Really? You're wound a bit tight Jimmy. You need to unstress, brother. Nazis, Hitler, rapists, thieves. serial killers? Do you know that USB was a serial killer? When was thte last time you saw an RS232 or 422 on a commercial computer? My granddaughter wasn't born then. To make your point you are using exaggerations that make you look unstable. I don't know you except for your posts but dude, you're out in left field on this one. With those analogies you instantly lose cred. Then, to make matters worse, NASA specifically allows the removal of underbody deadening and the SCCA interpretation is that it's legal. Dude, at what windmill are you tilting?

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
"Dude", I already agreed about the undercoating -- legal to remove. I was "tilting" at your statement about cleaning up the headers, and the notion that it was just peachy as long as you didn't get caught at it. I admit that simple integrity may be beyond some folks, but I haven't managed to grasp the "anything goes as long as you don't get caught" brass ring yet. I envy those who have, but not the world they leave in their wake.

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60
In some respects, this is the sort of thread that makes me consider calling it quits. I agree that undertcoating can be classified and a coating and that paint is a coating, but the spirit is simply that it is not. Regardless, the eight pounds saved hardly seems woth the effort required to remove it.
Oh well... :help:
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year