61 replies to this topic

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

I admit that simple integrity may be beyond some folks, but I haven't managed to grasp the "anything goes as long as you don't get caught" brass ring yet. I envy those who have, but not the world they leave in their wake.

Cool, so now I'm a liar and cheat as well as a serial killer, bank robber or other of that ilk. Glad we cleared that up... :rolleyes:

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Just in case anyone is actually doing this to save weight as the primary goal. We swept up what was on the floor, along with any dirt that may have already been there and we got just over 2 lbs.. I can't see a scenario where anyone gets over 3 lbs off the underside of the car. If you are painting, you probably add back 1/2 a lb or more as well.

I'm doing (did) it because of the rust damage I had to take a bunch off because it catches fire when you weld on the floor pan. Plus mine has 20 years of oil and klag stuck to the bottom of the car. I'm stripped down to the tub and if I'm this far I might as well make it look as clean as I can. At one point I almost build a rotisserie but I need to get on the stick and get this done. I've got 117 days til school and a stripped, unpainted tub with half a cage and boxes of new or reconditioned parts.

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:92

2004? that was back when I was a kid and I can't remember that far back.
Cnj.

You were a kid in 2004?!?!

Wow! Life must be harsh down under there... :spin:

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
+1 Mr. Deerwester. Of all the things to get your panties in a wad over - this ain't it. If a car needs ballast I can't think of anywhere (unsprung) lower on the car than the bottom of the tub. (and yes, my 1.6 could make last year's weight with a moose in the seat)
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32

You were a kid in 2004?!?!

Wow! Life must be harsh down under there... :spin:

What, u got nothing better to do with your evening than pick on me? Why don't u toddle down to the capital and get Combs to write a nice big check so that we can get our track already! Anyway, Austrlalians are from down under...
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

steveracer

steveracer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Oh, pardon me...I meant down next to...

Didn't get to pick on you enough in person, so I'm trying to catch up. Besides, nobody there at this hour but the guards and the cleaning crew.

Steven Holloway

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

What, u got nothing better to do with your evening than pick on me? Why don't u toddle down to the capital and get Combs to write a nice big check so that we can get our track already! Anyway, Austrlalians are from down under...

South of the equator, you're all the same..... :P

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Besides, nobody there at this hour but the guards.

:)
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

South of the equator, you're all the same..... :P

Sheesh, don't you start as well. Don't you have another cheater motor to be putting in your car to keep you busy?

steveracer

steveracer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Down over?
Down around?
Just down?

Steven Holloway

Andy Bettencourt

Andy Bettencourt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:09
Can anyone confirm that ANY Miata from any given year was produced WITHOUT undercoating? Maybe an Arizona or California car? If some existed, All you would be doing is building 'that' car.
- AB
www.flatout-motorsports.com

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
Maybe for the SEMA show? ;)

Kyle Freiheit

Kyle Freiheit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Car Number:8
Can I repaint my undercoating on with... cough cough... "lead" undercoating paint... cough? Oh, and I am kidding..

Although Jim B. may have been a little harsh on the delivery, I think his point about the legality of futzing with the interior welds of the header is spot on. Yes it is illegal but would someone find out? Probably not. Could you get the same gains by buying a bunch of headers and testing them? Absolutely. Does it make you a good competitor by doing an illegal modification in order to get a result that you could have got legally? Nope, they call those guys cheaters.

That being said, even though we could probably change the rule because its not that policeable, I don't think we should. I think SM shouldn't go down that route to far because this is Amatuer racing and if we opened up every rule that was hard to police or had an absolute spec for everything the rule book would either be GIANT(and ridiculous to police) or small and we could just become F production lite. Just leave rules like that alone and let your fellow competitors shame you into playing fair, because thats what they do.

Kyle

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
Guys out to win championships and races at any level aren't shamed by midpackers or even the other in front. Racing isn't fair. Never will be, never has been. It's about pushing the limits of the competitors, rules and equipment.

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
Yup, there is no honor here. Racing is for liars and cheaters at the front, and fools at the back. Makes ya proud, don't it? :butthead:

Jaime Florence

Jaime Florence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:96
I think it's interesting that the guy who regularly wins is almost always assumed to be cheating. Or, "man, that guy has a fast car". I guess it should be considered a complement when it's you who have been working your ass off to beat everyone else and consistently find that little edge. It just seems a little bit of a shame to assume the pointy end has somehow figured out how to cheat and not get caught...or bought their way there instead of recognizing that maybe they have worked harder or spent more time preparing then the mid-pack or back of the pack.

I know it wouldn't likely be possible to actually pull this off...but if you gridded the cars the way they qualified and inverted the drivers for the race (fastest drivers starting in the slowest cars on grid) I bet you a nickel the field would be inverted again within 15 or 20 laps. My contention is that the fast guys would find their way to the front in very little time even with someone else's equipment.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
I'm not say the guys in front are cheating as a rule, they just push the limits of the car, the driver and the rules. Compliance is about tech inspection, templates and measurements. Look a when there is a weight and plate change, particularly on the high dollar cars. They built those cars into the grey area, for example using cage designs and tubing to find the right balance for a particular car ith a particular driver. That takes time, money and skill. And it's right into the grey area of ballasting. Look at well known head builder that got a car bounced from the Runoffs. He was pushing the edge, reached too far and went over. The guys in front don't try to get that last tenth, they they to get that last one hundredth.

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Yup, there is no honor here. Racing is for liars and cheaters at the front, and fools at the back. Makes ya proud, don't it? :butthead:

I've missed you Jimmy....

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
Thanks Dave! :wub:

Gordon Fairulegoat Everitt

Gordon Fairulegoat Everitt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Do miatas have sound deadening painted on the floor surfaces like other cars ? Was considering doing the dryice trick if so as done previously with other (rally) cars. I'll be gutting interior for the cage install anyway and it's much nicer welding/drilling without that junk and safer also.. No bonfires.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users