Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Moose your a knuckehead. Why are you always complaining just to complain? In GL reagion SCCA you can run all the Toyo RA1's you want. That lets you run both NASA and SCCA, since you have said many times under your former name that you would never bother to show up at an SCCA national, I dont see as why you care about the tire issues since you are acutally alowed to run them in both sanctioning bodies. And as for tech you complain there isnt enough tech, but then you dont want to be teched. What is it you want? Tech or no Tech? Hoosiers or RA1's? There is no substantial data sugesting the Hoosier is even faster at Mid Ohio, I have run Toyos to put me ont he pole and then ran hoosiers in the race and gone a full second slower, I have run hooisers to get the pole and changed to toyos and run the same time in the race. Seen guys run RA1's, hooiser A6, hoosier R6, and even BFG, and never seen a single tire you could say was a real difference maker at Mid Ohio. I have seen races won by a mile by my old Hoosiers that Deerwester bought after I had 8 cycles on them, still winning on them at the 13 cycle mark, so unless you are runnign with the top 10-15 SM guys in the nation, I dont think the tires are what wins or losses you a race, A great driver in a great car that day wins races. I dont see how tires one way or the others would preclude you from with any sanctioning body. Beleive me there are some reasons i prefer one to the other, but it has nothing to do with tires or tech.
  • AJ Roderick likes this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Steve D

Steve D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:30

Moose your a knuckehead.

Should we just shorten that to Mooseknuckle?
  • Alex Bolanos, FTodaro and AJ Roderick like this

Steve DeVinney
Retired mediocre driver

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
Moosehead?
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Mr Webb,

I did not start this thread to complain about lack of tech, I merely stated that in 9 years of Ohio/Indiana, now GreatLakes, NASA competition the only real tech I personally observed was at the National. This was in reaction to the suggestion on another thread that lack of tech in Florida was an isolated occurrence. I suggest it is not.

As far as SCCA regional competition goes, and only referring to SCCA regional competition, I don't believe that most SM competitors think invasive tech is warranted or desired, at least not the competitors I personally know in my region.

Now I will explain my tire situation. I am working two jobs, a full time day job and freelancing at night. This is how I spend most of my evenings. I do this so I can afford to attend 6-8 regional events this season. Moose NASA membership+Moose NASA license+Squirrel NASA membership+Squirrel NASA license+1st NASA Mid-Ohio event = 1 set of Hoosiers.

Yes I could run my old Toyos - but Toyos absolutely heat cycle out. I was just turning laps last year because all I had was 3 year old, probably 50+ cycle Toyos. That's why I work, so I can buy several sets of new tires for this year. Another major factor is that Squirrel and I like to enter races in other divisions/regions, particularly the SEDiv. The SEDiv spec the national tire for all regional events so if I want to race there I have to buy Hoosiers.

Mid-Ohio is only one of many tracks I like to visit.

Again, my budget simply does not permit multiple tire brands. I'm not upset, I'm not complaining, it's simply my reality - Moose's world if you will (@Mueller). When forced to make a choice I prefer how the SCCA conducts its events for a host of reasons.

I don't recall personally insulting anyone on this site, if I did I apologize.
  • john mueller likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Again, my budget simply does not permit multiple tire brands. I'm not upset, I'm not complaining, it's simply my reality - Moose's world if you will (@Mueller). When forced to make a choice I prefer how the SCCA conducts its events for a host of reasons.

I don't recall personally insulting anyone on this site, if I did I apologize.

Moose; I was using your post to make my point about that it's all a matter of perspective when it come to anything, and in this case it's tires.... Everyone has their own. But making the point that NASA's decision to remain on Toyos as the reason for you not to attend NASA races just seemed silly to me. Looks like the real factor was that you guys wanted to run in a different region/division and you prefer SCCA anyways... Well that makes way more sense, I hope it goes well for you guys. I apologize if I came off in an attacking manner, not my intent.

BTW: At the 2011 Nationals (Mid-O) my best set of RA1's were constructed in 2009 and had 50+ cycles on them, the new (2011) RA1s were almost two-seconds slower.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
I not blaming one group or the other, but if both organizations were on the same tire then I would race with both.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I not blaming one group or the other, but if both organizations were on the same tire then I would race with both.

OK I got to jump on the Moose on this one, I think what KWebb was saying and John maybe is that since in SCCA regional s its open tire you do not have to go out and get two sets of tires. you can run the Toyo which at mid o is a good tire and you can run them for ever so the cost factor is good. the fact that SCCA national requires Hoosier is only relevant at the one national race at Mid O. otherwise at all the regional you can run any dot legal sm size tire you want.
So are you sure that the reason for not running NASA is the Tire??

Now what nick name do you like, Moosehead, or........
  • john mueller likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
I can't speak for all regions but SFR doesn't have open tire in either club, SM, Reg or Nat.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Frank, I mean this in the nicest possible way, but what part of "I don't just race at Mid-Ohio, I travel to other SCCA divisions that require Hoosier, I can only afford to buy so many tires, and the money saved by foregoing NASA is part of my tire budget" didn't you understand.

Bullwinkle J. Moose

Armando Ramirez

Armando Ramirez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:76
I do not know about "all" the regions, but in the SE's, particularly Florida and Central Florida Hoosiers are required.
All for all of the SE's enduros, Hoosiers are required.

We have only had our car since March 2011, and presently if we want to run NASA and SCCA, we are going to have to go out and get two additional sets of wheels - three if we want to get Hoosier rains.

>Frank's
>OK I got to jump on the Moose on this one, I think what KWebb was saying and John maybe is that since in SCCA regional s its open tire you do not have to >go out and get two sets of tires. you can run the Toyo which at mid o is a good tire and you can run them for ever so the cost factor is good. the fact that >SCCA national requires Hoosier is only relevant at the one national race at Mid O. otherwise at all the regional you can run any dot legal sm size tire you >want.
>So are you sure that the reason for not running NASA is the Tire??

Frank, I mean this in the nicest possible way, but what part of "I don't just race at Mid-Ohio, I travel to other SCCA divisions that require Hoosier, I can only afford to buy so many tires, and the money saved by foregoing NASA is part of my tire budget" didn't you understand.

Bullwinkle J. Moose

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Looks like the real factor was that you guys wanted to run in a different region/division and you prefer SCCA anyways...

I think that pretty much sums it up right there.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Bullwinkle J. Moose

Apparently everything you said after "Frank" No worries your Mooseness, I and others who chimed in are just trying to understand, I assumed, wrongly I see that you did most of your racing in the GLD.
Don’t get me wrong I understand the concern, as I also race in other regions and plan on doing a few National events, but I do most of my events in the GLD.
Now that we got that cleared up, I will buy you a beer in a few weeks if you’re at the track.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Now that we got that cleared up, I will buy you a beer in a few weeks if you’re at the track.

See that! Right there is why I love racing with you dudes! Ok, this topic can be put to bed now...
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

BTW: At the 2011 Nationals (Mid-O) my best set of RA1's were constructed in 2009 and had 50+ cycles on them, the new (2011) RA1s were almost two-seconds slower.

And that right there is one of the main reasons why I don't want to be on RA-1's. Who wants to have to find the magic combination that gives you the fastest tire (not to mention shaving, finding how many cycles it takes to bring them in for your particular tracks, etc.)? So if I'm just starting out now and have to get 2011 tires, I'm giving up 2 seconds to those who still have tires from previous years? Add this to the potential tire shortages and having costs for extra wheels and tires if you want to run SCCA Nats, and I just don't see how you can continue to justify that moving to Hoosiers in 2013 wouldn't have been better for the racers. You are forcing many people to choose one org or the other, and this defeats the whole point of having everyone on the same rule set.

Yes the SCCA switched first, due to input from their members that they'd rather be on a molded tire.

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
I CAN'T WAIT to try out my new Hoosier H20s!!!

+1 Mr. Green.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22
+1 Mr Green!
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

And that right there is one of the main reasons why I don't want to be on RA-1's. Who wants to have to find the magic combination that gives you the fastest tire (not to mention shaving, finding how many cycles it takes to bring them in for your particular tracks, etc.)? So if I'm just starting out now and have to get 2011 tires, I'm giving up 2 seconds to those who still have tires from previous years? Add this to the potential tire shortages and having costs for extra wheels and tires if you want to run SCCA Nats, and I just don't see how you can continue to justify that moving to Hoosiers in 2013 wouldn't have been better for the racers. You are forcing many people to choose one org or the other, and this defeats the whole point of having everyone on the same rule set.

Yes the SCCA switched first, due to input from their members that they'd rather be on a molded tire.

I get your point and understand.. Just want to make sure it is understood that 2011 tires were not the issue.. New tires were the issue IMO.. I have about 8 sets of 2010 -2011 tires saved up for this years NASA championship

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
Does anyone have any theories as to why old tires work better at mid-o? Is it a drag thing?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

I get your point and understand.. Just want to make sure it is understood that 2011 tires were note the issue.. New tires were the issue IMO..

Thanks Jim, that's good to know! I thought there was also speculation that there were potential "bad batches" that got released (didn't cure long enough) due to the tsunami. Anyone have data on how many cycles you need for tires to be optimal at Miller? Most of our events (16 races?) this year will be run under NASA (whereas we ran under SCCA rules in previous years.)

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
NASA Championship Special - 3 sets of finely aged 'old compound' Toyo RA-1s for sale. $400 per set if purchased by May 1, $500 per set until July 1, after which they are $600 per set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users