JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:48
If tech was improved in the Great Lakes region, I would have found out before the qualifying race at nasa nationals that my car didn't have a heater box. Or maybe if I read the rules and inspected....hmmm..

No cars in the NASA Great Lakes region have ever raised an eyebrow in my opinion. We are all very close and I doubt many others question either.
  • Glenn and Caveman-kwebb99 like this

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Hey Kyle, I think you are looking at me ...... should I tell you that my "bad ass mother" in fact dynoed in the low 120s hp when I hauled it back from Road America? Or would that offer too much fact for the speculation? What was your '99 car horsepower in the latter part of last year ;-)

Any way you want to look at, I think it is safe to say that car was just incredible that first season. Simple as this for me, Jim would never have taken that car to the Runnoffs with 120hp, and I dont beleive that the car was worn out when you got it, as again Jim wouldnt have taken a worn out car to the runoffs. I had an incredible dyno number last year in SCCA trim. but I only raced that car in one NASA SM race, that being the national, where it rained alot, and well since I have never been worth 2 cents in the rain, I made some other bone head moves for the nationals, like changing brake pad brands, and not chasing the setup. My car was good enough for the Pole last year in the SCCA dbl national, and that car was Legal, and could have withstood a teardown at any time. Again and as I have stated several times, I do not beleive that anyone is cheating at the front of the NASA GL or SCCA GL fields. Well except Hille :) I think running No Heater Core was worth like 10hp, no wonder nobody could keep up LOL, it was to bad to see that hold him back at the nationals, I think he would have had a shot, if that had not pushed him to the tail end.

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Just to clear up...
Chris bought my spare car, it was a good car but not a great car and not as good as my primary. Primary car was 125 on Back streets dyno at the Runoffs, I believe Chris car was 123.

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

If it is not legal in one area, it is not legal in the othere areas, that is the fair and equatible way, the same for all.

I don't think anyone is suggesting you have different rules. There is just different leniency in enforcement. Much like if you are going 5 mph over the limit in a school zone while kids are getting out, you're much more likely to get a ticket than going 5 mph over the limit on a freeway. Sticking to racing terms, I'd expect a spec fuel for the June Sprints or Runoffs. I'd not expect it for your typical regional race. I'd also expect the tech to be longer and more invasive.

Again, I'm more responding to "A more uniform tech process from NASA region-to-region has been one of the big things on my list from the beginning of when I accepted this gig." I guess it all depends on what "uniform process" means. Personally I'd rather see focus on uniform tires between the sanctioning bodies . ;)

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Again, I'm more responding to "A more uniform tech process from NASA region-to-region has been one of the big things on my list from the beginning of when I accepted this gig." I guess it all depends on what "uniform process" means. Personally I'd rather see focus on uniform tires between the sanctioning bodies . ;)

Again, a non sequitur comparison. The tire issue has to do with existing contracts and roll over dates for those contracts and traffic law has nothing to do with racing. A more uniform approach could be checking the top X number of cars a bit more closely and checking everyone for weight, plate, tires and perhaps anything that doesn't look out of the ordinary. Here is how other amateur racing series deal with the tech crew problem...

http://www.racingwes...operations.html

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

The tire issue has to do with existing contracts and roll over dates for those contracts and traffic law has nothing to do with racing.

Had it just been for 2012, I'd agree, but this says otherwise: "We are delighted to renew our partnership with Toyo Tires for four more years."

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

"We are delighted to renew our partnership with Toyo Tires for four more years."

Pretty much seals it for me - SCCA only. Tech all you want in NASA! B)
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Had it just been for 2012, I'd agree, but this says otherwise: "We are delighted to renew our partnership with Toyo Tires for four more years."

It was just for 2012 but they chose to renew for additional years. For them it was a better deal with better contingency money. That money ans sponsorship puts the championship race on TV. Usually the runoffs are on Speed but I didn't notice them last time. Do they have a broadcast TV deal? With streaming it's becoming less and less a factor but it remains there is more money in traditional TV/cable than web only. There are some SCCA divs that are allowing Toyo's in the supps for regional events. The Hoosier rule is a national rule and can be over ruled regionally in the supps.

SCCA regional tech isn't that comprehensive either or not existent in many cases. What's the saying about stones, glass, and houses?
  • Rob Burgoon likes this

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

It was just for 2012 but they chose to renew for additional years. For them it was a better deal with better contingency money.

So in other words, your post was incorrect and didn't address what I am saying. You missed my whole point. They went through all the trouble to get on the same rules (which I applaud them for!), but sabotage it by keeping us on different tires for the near future. Great. Glad it was "better" for them. What about what is better for their clients, the people actually racing? (And no, the contingency doesn't make up for it, IMO.)

NASA Utah SM Director

Doug007

Doug007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Region:TX
I don't understand why people are upset at NASA. SCCA was the one that changed tires to Hoosiers...

I thought everyone vowed eternal devotion to the never heat-cycle out, good until they cord RA-1s :-)
  • john mueller likes this

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
I'm not upset with NASA - they did what was in their best interest. I wish them well. It just rules out my participation for the foreseeable future. I doubt I'll be missed. :wave2:
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

I thought everyone vowed eternal devotion to the never heat-cycle out, good until they cord RA-1s :-)

Not in the real world.... on all points
  • Alex Bolanos likes this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA