• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Todd, Are there SCCA events close to you?

Mueller, take off you hoosier, err, I mean hoser.

metric crapload

How many SAE craploads is that?
  • john mueller likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

No matter what, IMO we need to be on a tire that doesn't require shaving. That's just nonsense. Waste of money, time, and resources. It is the most inane thing I've seen in racing watching people run "new" tires during non-critical sessions just to wear them down until they're fast. I'll not race on RA1s next year. There are way too many other things to do with life than be pissed off at your tires all weekend.

I can't imagine NASA's contract letting them have an "open tire" SM class, so I'll still hope that we'll get a molded Toyo.

I cant agree more & very true.

Otherwise it's trips to Europe, Brazil and a metric crapload of rockclimbing for me, and I'll still save money over racing. That's what we as a community have to realize. This is a very expensive sport and if you take the fun out of it for people, they will go do something else. If we as the customers just stand by, do nothing, and "take" it, then the nonsense continues. Vote with your dollars and write them letting them know why you've chosen to do other things. If enough people do that, then things will change. Of course if not everyone feels the same as you, you're screwed. ;)

How many tires would you need shaved to cover a trip to Brazil? Sorry, I'm just being a dick. I fully agree here too...
Patience my friends, patience. (don't' ask, I ain't/can't say sh!t)
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Somehow it seems appropriate that "don't ask, don't tell" has made it's way to Miata racing.

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

I am not sure what NASA or John have Brewing, but a compromise that would help would be to allow open tire in the regional nasa races require Toyo for the Nats.

In NASA every class is a national class. I like that about the sanction and the fact it operates as a for profit business rather than a not for profit club.

Not directed toward Frank but it doesn't surprise me that many of the racers that are the most vocal hardly (if at all) participate in NASA. What a mature, well adjusted adult might choose to do is if a sanction has rules with one may not agree, don't run that sanction. One could always go to Europe or South America though having spent a significant part of my adult life traveling and living outside the US, a couple of trips (or even one) could easily pay for a season of tires on both sets, even if you traveled alone. The dollar isn't that strong and things can be as pricey (or more) than they have been in the past. If one can fly for free and stay with friends that will feed them, that's another story.

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Todd, Are there SCCA events close to you?

There's a Double Rational at Miller next week. Next closest tracks are Vegas, Colorado, and of course all the Cali tracks. Previous to this year we held 7 race weekends + 3 hour enduro at MMP under SCCA rules. I imagine we'll still be under NASA next year.

Don't get me wrong, our local NASA guys have busted their asses to put on great events. I can't imagine them doing more to try to promote our races and have a great atmosphere on the weekend. However, we also have a local issue that doesn't allow many to race on Sunday which just makes it doubly difficult in these tough times.

How many SAE craploads is that?

5.12 (That'll make sense if you are a climber.)

John - I know you were joking, but two sets of Toyos is about the same cost as me spending 5 weeks in Brazil. (I stay with family there which really helps.)

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

There's a Double Rational at Miller next week. Next closest tracks are Vegas, Colorado, and of course all the Cali tracks. Previous to this year we held 7 race weekends + 3 hour enduro at MMP under SCCA rules.

There haven't been any SCCA races in the Vegas Region the last few years, or more. In fact there haven't been any sanctioned car road races at all in Vegas in the last few years. There are technically five possible circuits in Vegas and Pahrump. LVMS has 2, one in the speedway, which is really an RV park, and the "outside" circuit which is next to The Bullring. I ran the outside a couple times about 10 years ago. The track fees at LVMS are pretty expensive but SMI/LVMS is such a pain in the butt to work with it makes up for it. :whistling: I'd love for Cal Club or So Cal NASA to come over between Oct and April. If they could work out the insurance they could probably get the So Nevada Kart Club to go in on the rental.

Spring Mountain has 2 small or one larger circuit but they're a country club and except for some DE and bikes they don't do too much outside of the club Radicals and member track time. It's a nice place though. I ran a race there about six years ago or so and they let us test out there for a few months but got cold feet the first time someone got hurt.

Vegas is all about desert racing, rock crawling and drags. With a bit of circle track to appease the local rednecks. :spin: Solo does fairly well though.

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

John - I know you were joking, but two sets of Toyos is about the same cost as me spending 5 weeks in Brazil. (I stay with family there which really helps.)

Sweet. Can I come next time? I'm small and don't eat much. :lol:
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Paraphrasing Sam Kinison: Move to where the tracks are. You live in a f*****g desert. :D

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

There haven't been any SCCA races in the Vegas Region the last few years, or more.

That's a bummer. I've run all the (road course) tracks in Vegas/Pahrump, but I think the last time I was there was '99 or so. When you get your car done, come up here. As a bonus I'll take you rock climbing and you can compare the fitness requirements between the two activities. ;)

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Sweet. Can I come next time? I'm small and don't eat much. :lol:

You're more than welcome. However it is impossible to not eat much in Brazil. Between churrascos, all the tropical fruits, fresh seafood (google bobó de camarão), and ice cold beers/caipirinhas, it is hard to hold back.

NASA Utah SM Director

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

That's a bummer. I've run all the (road course) tracks in Vegas/Pahrump, but I think the last time I was there was '99 or so. When you get your car done, come up here. As a bonus I'll take you rock climbing and you can compare the fitness requirements between the two activities. ;)

Yeah, it's a bummer but Willows isn't too far. I've been on both the full circuit and the kart track at Miller. Nice place, good people. Definitely plan to make it back up, if nothing else as a spectator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users