Photo

Charlotte SARRC/MARRS Contact and Protest.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Didn't even get that.

How is that different from what the pole sitting start cheaters are currently doing today? There seems to be a lot of favor for ignoring the rules on the books and protecting the pole sitter from those with non-geriatric reflexes.

All I want is everyone on the same page. It's just like with the terrible engine rules we had. "Overhaul that increases hp not allowed" yeah, right. Unwritten rules don't make things better, they make things messy.

We should pick what sort of start we want for our class and/or SCCA, then tighten up the rules around it.

Rob Do you get upset when someone drives 70mph in a 65 mph zone? Rules are generally interpreted in such a way to try and achieve the desired result. You can word the rule anyway you want but someone has to interpret it and implement it. As MPR22 said there is a rule and the started has the freedom and judgment to wave it off if its getting out of hand.

I do not like rules such that it leaves no margin for interpretation, at least when it comes to an issue like starts. I agree that the "rule" passing under yellow for example has to be strictly enforced, but some "rules are more of a guideline" than a black and white rule.

Where do you draw the line on an infraction. Pace car is doing 35, and you roll on the throttle and are doing 40 at the flag? 45? 50?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Where do you draw the line on an infraction. Pace car is doing 35, and you roll on the throttle and are doing 40 at the flag? 45? 50?

No reason why you couldn't add a tolerance of +/- 5mph. See the engine rules for examples.

I think it's important to have it be clear when we're racing and when we're not racing. If you have a pole sitter that varies speed, the cars behind sometimes falsely believe a start is happening and you get the accordion effect.

This often isn't a gray area, you're either holding speed until the green comes out, or when a pole goes early you can be doing double the pace car's speed before the green comes. That wasn't by mistake or hard to detect.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Region:83
  • Car Year:1967
  • Car Number:67

No reason why you couldn't add a tolerance of +/- 5mph. See the engine rules for examples.

I think it's important to have it be clear when we're racing and when we're not racing. If you have a pole sitter that varies speed, the cars behind sometimes falsely believe a start is happening and you get the accordion effect.

This often isn't a gray area, you're either holding speed until the green comes out, or when a pole goes early you can be doing double the pace car's speed before the green comes. That wasn't by mistake or hard to detect.

really rob so if i brake ck you on start will you protest
Satire is primarily a literary genre or form, although in practice it can also be found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Why do I remember this same discussion last year??? Maybe this topic deserves it's own thread...or not! Here you go...

Radar gun...like in hockey with a face off if you jump early you are kicked out...to the back! Seriously though, I think many agree(quietly) with Rob's frustration and also with MPR22/Drago's thoughts. When the pack is already at 80MPH at Road America Nationals every year when the green flies...and that is accepted...how do you think this is looked at? Legal correct?

So do you follow the crowd or test the system? P3 and 4 this year need to park it at 40mph at the last corner heading up the hill. Regardless of what P1 and 2 do(roll on the throttle??)they maintain 40mph until the green flag. Will P1 and 2 still be with them? If not will the start be waved off? Will someone protest if in fact P1 and 2 bolt?

Not so much for the front row of course but I think the biggest problem is guys who leave big gaps...then try to guess and create the dreaded start stop accordion effect. Never actually seen a pole sitter slow back down after a pace has begun...drag brakes, yes...but not slow down. Though not "legal" the rolling starts do generally get everyone making it through the first corner :D Which is a good thing yes?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46
A good/fair race start (in any class) is the Holy Grail. I don't think Rob should be crucified for encouraging this. I think it's easy to blame the guy at the front who rolls onto the throttle before the green, but farther back it's pretty easy to fall a little behind (like when someone brake checks you ahead). The guys in the back then get on the throttle soon also. With large fields and varying levels of experience and skill, there will always be unequal starts.
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Number:99
I couldnt agree more no crusifixion for the monkey man a simple tar and feathering will do just fine LOL
  • DrDomm likes this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:46

in my huble opinion all parts guys drive over there heads because they can afford the parts lol you tooo drago

That is funny.
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

A good/fair race start (in any class) is the Holy Grail. I don't think Rob should be crucified for encouraging this. I think it's easy to blame the guy at the front who rolls onto the throttle before the green, but farther back it's pretty easy to fall a little behind (like when someone brake checks you ahead). The guys in the back then get on the throttle soon also. With large fields and varying levels of experience and skill, there will always be unequal starts.

I do not believe anyone is crucifying Mr. Burgoon regarding his desire for a fair start. I have repeatedly pointed out to Mr. Burgoon to file a protests if he feels anyone jumped the start. I personally do not belive the rules need to be changed.

As for Mr. Burgoon's consistent assersition the pole sitter must have poor reflexes and therefore cheats to keep from being passed at the start is silly. Anyone fast enough to be on the pole at a National SM race should be able to react to a green flag that is clearly visible to only two drivers at most racers. The pole and his wingman.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I am still in the "if it aint broke done fix it camp" I have been in starts that go both ways. guys who hold the pace car speed and guys who roll on the throttle. I really do not see an advantage or disadvantage either way. I am looking forward, I am keying off of two things, the cars ahead of me if any, and the flag stand. The only time its a problem is if the guy ahead of me, if there is one, who is late to the gas but that is a problem under either case. So I guess I just don't see a problem we are all operating under the same conditions.

If the car ahead is going, I go, if the car ahead is pacing, I pace.
  • JRHille likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Region:ATL
  • Car Number:49
I'm just glad to finally know why I get left for dead on the starts.

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

2016 SARRC SM ECR Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91

I have repeatedly pointed out to Mr. Burgoon to file a protests if he feels anyone jumped the start.

I did. It failed. That's why I feel the rules need revision.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

I'm just glad to finally know why I get left for dead on the starts.

There's the "have" Radio and Spotter and the "have nots" in some cases.
Get the guys without in front of the guy with, 3, 4 wide?
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Number:99
If that damn bertok wouldnt get into these accidents we wouldnt have all this bickering... Steve, I sure hope someone "not you" ruffles some tin sometime soon so we can all argue about starts again lol

K. Webb