Photo

Charlotte SARRC/MARRS Contact and Protest.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
I think the starts are fair. If everybody really thinks they aren't fair, could always move to standing starts.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Still not legal. If the guys behind don't cheat, your reaction time is good, and there is no draft, you'll stay in first.

the guys behind the pole sitter who go to WOT before the green flag drop are not cheating unless they improve there position before the green flag drops So If the Pole sitter is doing 40mph and the cars behind time it right, and they normally do when the green does fly they have 5mph on the guys who are waiting for the green to fly.

I have not started that many races but the ones I have I roll on the gas as I am approaching and anticipating the flag.

Now all I have to do is master the the 2/3 up shift without missing it.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

the guys behind the pole sitter who go to WOT before the green flag drop are not cheating unless they improve there position before the green flag drops So If the Pole sitter is doing 40mph and the cars behind time it right, and they normally do when the green does fly they have 5mph on the guys who are waiting for the green to fly.

On the flip side, I got rammed VERY hard when someone behind me tried to anticipate the flag too early and was WOT when the rows in front checked up because the flag didn't come out.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

the guys behind the pole sitter who go to WOT before the green flag drop are not cheating unless they improve there position before the green flag drops

SCCA Rules:

G. The Starter will start the race by suddenly and continuously waving
the green flag until all cars have passed the start line if the field is:
1. at a constant slow speed;

NASA Rules:

Once the pace car leaves the track,
the lead car will be responsible for pacing the field slowly, and at a steady pace, until the
green flag is shown. [Note: Pace means “steady speed.” Acceleration (or deceleration)
after the pace car leaves the track, but before the green flag is displayed, is illegal.]

What part of constant/steady and that accel/decel is illegal doesn't register with you? It sure as h3ll is cheating. But as Drago says everyone does it and you only have to get smoked on pole once to know that you'll be rolling the start since it appears that the officials don't care (at least in every race I've ever been in.)

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
Unwritten rules are often the best. Anything that promotes less contact on lap one is a good thing in my book.

Fair and by the rules often leads to carnage, as 20-60 cars try to anticipate when the green flag will fly.

I don't mind one bit that I don't get a chance to make that hero pass when the front row accellerates before the flag flies, at least I get through turns 1,2.... in a reasonablly orderly fashion.

Before you start telling me I'm a cheater, tell me when I have sat on pole? I am usually the guy that would benifit most from an agressive anticipation of the start, but as they say you can't win a race on lap one but you sure can lose one.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91

Unwritten rules are often the best.

B.S. change the rule.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
By the by, I wrote a letter on this topic back in May, and apparently the CRB elected to sit on it rather than address it.

Just like a congressional subcommittee!
  • Jason J Ball likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

I think the starts are fair. If everybody really thinks they aren't fair, could always move to standing starts.

All the 1.6 miatas will simultaneously blow their diffs when the green drops.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

"Idealism is fine, but as it approaches reality, the costs become prohibitive"

William F. Buckley Jr.

Spec racing in a nutshell.
  • Tom Ghan likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

"Idealism is fine, but as it approaches reality, the costs become prohibitive"

William F. Buckley Jr.

Spec racing in a nutshell.

How hard is this? If allowing the pole to start the race is a good idea, change the rule to "race is started by the pole accelerating on the S/F straight or the green flag, whichever comes first"

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
The rules work just fine now... I dont car enough to write letters to change a rule that dont seem to matter. If I only had a nickle for everyone that thought they were gonna change the world...

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

By the by, I wrote a letter on this topic back in May, and apparently the CRB elected to sit on it rather than address it.

Thank You For Your Input.
  • Jason J Ball likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Rob,

Why would the diffs drop on the 1.6?
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
Rob,
I am all for changing the rules if they are enforcable or do not create a saftey issue. One of the main issues would be with large fields with limited fields of vision from the front to the back. The starter (guy with the green flag) should be able to see if everyone is on the straight and in line. If that becomes the responsibility of the pole sitter he/she might just go as soon as they hit the front straight. That would be a huge advantage. As the rules are written the starter can choose to throw the flag or waive off the start if the pole car goes too soon or creates an accordian effect with starts and stops.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

As the rules are written the starter can choose to throw the flag or waive off the start if the pole car goes too soon or creates an accordian effect with starts and stops.

Not critical of the comment ^, have never viewed a waive off by the green flag waiver in the SCCA CenDiv.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
We have several a year. Usually the larger the field the more likely the waive off, especially at MSRH, the S/F straight is very short and has two sharp turns at either end.

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Thank You For Your Input.

Didn't even get that.

Rob,

Why would the diffs drop on the 1.6?

1.6 diffs will break if you look at them funny. Gears are a little too small I think. That's why the 1.6 cars are allowed to use the 1.8 torsens these days.

If that becomes the responsibility of the pole sitter he/she might just go as soon as they hit the front straight. That would be a huge advantage.

How is that different from what the pole sitting start cheaters are currently doing today? There seems to be a lot of favor for ignoring the rules on the books and protecting the pole sitter from those with non-geriatric reflexes.

All I want is everyone on the same page. It's just like with the terrible engine rules we had. "Overhaul that increases hp not allowed" yeah, right. Unwritten rules don't make things better, they make things messy.

We should pick what sort of start we want for our class and/or SCCA, then tighten up the rules around it.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
Rob,

I doubt any pole position in an SM national race has geriatric reflexes. If you truly believe that then what does that say about your reflexes, less than geriatric since you didn't qualify P1. The current rules work, the SCCA has a starter, if he/she doesn't like the start you get no green flag. Rules are in place, if the SCCA official chooses not to enforce them then protest the start. You already love to call people out for bad driving, why not bad officiating. It's curious how you are consistently complaining about the drivers around you but you don't seem to have the skill to drive off from them. A truly exceptional driver, one who makes no mistakes, should be able to set the pole then drive away from the field, therefore unburdening themselves from the horrors of racing with the scrubs. BTW I'm a scrub.
  • Jason J Ball, FTodaro and James York like this

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Rob,

I doubt any pole position in an SM national race has geriatric reflexes. If you truly believe that then what does that say about your reflexes, less than geriatric since you didn't qualify P1. The current rules work, the SCCA has a starter, if he/she doesn't like the start you get no green flag. Rules are in place, if the SCCA official chooses not to enforce them then protest the start. You already love to call people out for bad driving, why not bad officiating. It's curious how you are consistently complaining about the drivers around you but you don't seem to have the skill to drive off from them. A truly exceptional driver, one who makes no mistakes, should be able to set the pole then drive away from the field, therefore unburdening themselves from the horrors of racing with the scrubs. BTW I'm a scrub.

It's possible to turn quick laps with slow reflexes. You can't react as quickly to a green with slow reflexes. Fast reflexes does not a fast driver make.

The most recent video I posted of others' bad driving was a result of being around slower drivers that had (illegally) pulled their plates for STL.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
Sounds like you want to go drag racing, there you can overhaul that Miata engine for performance gains and show off your cat like reflexes on starts. Problem solved, heck we didn't have to change the rules to make you happy, we just had to find you the right run group.😃

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users