Photo

What are Your Questions for the SCCA Race @ COTA in March?

- - - - - COTA FAQ Austin

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:92

Call me stupid, but if someone causes an accident and there is armco damage - doesn't the SCCA's insurance cover that?

Blake

Not from the stories I hear about TWS under some previous ownership. I think the SCCA's insurance is geared more towards covering SCCA from a lawsuit than keeping you from paying for damage you were involved in. Also, Lone Star Region isn't interested in paying for anyone's F'ups, either.

Just like when your car gets damaged, your car, your bill. Your car causes damage, your bill. That's always been in the supps for SoWDiv, it's at the discretion of the track whether to collect or not. None of the tracks in SoWDiv are on worldwide tv, except COTA. I bet they don't care if you're just racing for fun if you tear up their facilities, especially in the 1st year.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Wow...I would hate to drive 18 hours to not make the top 85....

Please tell me your kidding? Who tows from WISC down to cota if they think they camt make to top 85?

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32
Lee (and Steve),

Thanks for starting this thread. I know a great deal about the track and facilities construction but this is far better dealt by you guys who are on SW Div SCCA BOD. Couple thoughts/questions.

1. Consider confirming damage costs for Tec-pro barriers as separate from Armco. In general it's going to be hard for SM to get to the Tec-pro barriers (which are really expensive) but at turn 19 exit I could see those of us with fire in the eyes getting to the Armco (which is cheaper and more damage resistant).

2. Please identify how the track is going to book the test day. To my knowledge this will be the first open booking day that COTA has arranged and so be nice to know how its going to work. Also I expect that non SCCA racers will try to book track time so it would be great to ask COTA to implement a policy that reserves the test day for those of us actually racing that weekend.

3. If regular SW Div SCCA racers (who have in part provided the funding for the up front track rental) are not able to race because they get immediately squeezed out by a flood of national registrations, there are going to be some very strong and long lasting feelings. I respect that there may be challenges to prioritizing locals registration (and by any measure its an unusual situation to be talking about more than 85 cars in SM), but I encourage the LSR BOD to consider the issue carefully.

4. I suggest asking COTA about the observation tower. They might consider opening it for the Saturday only if they don't want to staff it the whole weekend.

5. Will COTA have installed a temp pit wall in pit lane so that there is separation between hot pits and cold pits or must all cars in garages exit on paddock side?

6. This is a low priority, but the start position at COTA does does not have a flagger position (ie. flag bridge) as F1 and Moto GP use lights. The finish position where there is a flagger stand (where Charlie Whiting stands) is actually shortly after turn 19. Will we have one or two flag positions?

7. There is no way we are going to fit into the main paddock only. Not nearly enough room. With that said, there are few markings in either paddock (other than tradional parking in main paddock) and I expect we will have at least 350 cars at this race (probably 400). Will it be a free for all or will there be some parking direction? (Obviously I am hinting that there be a plan...)

8. Will COTA allow Internet access in the garages?

9. COTA has great security - but please sort out how people can get in and out - or what the limits are on time (you might have addressed this in your post Lee)

10. Consider arranging a track walk after test day and possibly after Friday? I suspect this will be welcomed by all. Except those like Kimi who don't need one :). Drago and Berry who will have had advance track time can give us all thier secrets....

11. Confirm that all parts of the track viewing are accessible to the SCCA. I assume that the paddock building and grandstand will be closed but it would be good to confirm this.

12. I will PM you with some more detailed issues/suggestions.

Cnj
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:45

Please tell me your kidding? Who tows from WISC down to cota if they think they camt make to top 85?

Chicago thank you very much...and just saying I would hate it...not that I don't think I will make it! But a LOT of big dogs will be there!
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
More questions:

---Pit vehicles (scooters and such) What is the plan on those
---Obviously the shower question...and will there be free camping? more so for the VOLUNTEER workers. I know of 3 or 4 right now who want to come down but not if they are going to have to pay I bet!
---Fuel at the track?
---Oil dump facilities at the track?
---Annual Tech? Many of us from up north will need it!
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59
Here are the costs as they were laid out for next weekends DE:

a. Asphalt. $500.00 per sq. ft. for all asphalt damage, including fuel, oil, hydraulic and other fluid spills.
b. Guard Rails. $25 per foot for any guardrail that is damaged during the Event.
c. Tire Barriers. $25 per foot for all tire barriers that are damaged during the Event.
d. Fencing. $15 per foot for all fencing that is damaged during the Event.
e. Airfence. Lessee will pay the Company an amount of $1000 per square feet airfence module that is damaged during the Event.

I never thought I would find myself WANTING to hit the armco as apposed to an air fence... but that stuff is bloody expensive.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Lee Thomas

Lee Thomas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:24
Great questions... Keep them coming.

Two bits of info I just learned is the cost of the race weekend (includes Friday practice) is $650. Also, we will have access to the support race paddock area (where the Ferrari Challenge and Porsche Cup cars were if you attended the F1 race). Not surprising...with the car counts we all anticipate it would be impossible to run this race using only the garage paddock area.

I'll do my best to have most of the answers to your questions by Sunday. Stay tuned...

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Here are the costs as they were laid out for next weekends DE:

a. Asphalt. $500.00 per sq. ft. for all asphalt damage, including fuel, oil, hydraulic and other fluid spills.
b. Guard Rails. $25 per foot for any guardrail that is damaged during the Event.
c. Tire Barriers. $25 per foot for all tire barriers that are damaged during the Event.
d. Fencing. $15 per foot for all fencing that is damaged during the Event.
e. Airfence. Lessee will pay the Company an amount of $1000 per square feet airfence module that is damaged during the Event.

I never thought I would find myself WANTING to hit the armco as apposed to an air fence... but that stuff is bloody expensive.

What do they consider damage to the asphalt? A blown diff could cost somebody cost somebody a smooth $250,000 if a spill is considered damage. Me thinks the 1.6 crowd would be a bit upset with that bill.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

What do they consider damage to the asphalt? A blown diff could cost somebody cost somebody a smooth $250,000 if a spill is considered damage. Me thinks the 1.6 crowd would be a bit upset with that bill.

I will bring plenty of bankruptcy paperwork with me. Maybe I can get Tom Hart to help me and set up a drive through window!

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

tferranti

tferranti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Number:51
Where is the NOS filling station for those of us with pop-up headlights?
  • Lee Thomas likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

Where is the NOS filling station for those of us with pop-up headlights?

I'm bringing a pop-up headlight car....i don't see them at a disadvantage here ;)
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC

What happens when we hit 85 (3.425 * 25 cars per mile) cars? A Main and B Main?

The GCR also says that the CS can request 10% over...It happened at VIR a few years ago. We started 90SM's. The way I see the math we can start 95 cars.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Mike Asselta

Mike Asselta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Region:Kansas City
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:70

I'm bringing a pop-up headlight car....i don't see them at a disadvantage here ;)

I put the NOS bottle where the pop-up headlight goes. Is that what you meant?
Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Car Number:92

You haven't seen the run up to turn 1 in person :help:

I'm thinking we won't even need to brake for 1, just keep downshifting as we loose momentum going up the hill.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
Not sure that hill is any steeper than the front straight at Road America??
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM

suck fumes

suck fumes

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Lonestar
  • Car Year:1997
Oooo yes it is!! I've seen both in person
2010, 2011 SM Sowdiv points champion!
2011 National points champion!

WWW.MOTORSPORTHEAVEN.COM

suck fumes

suck fumes

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Lonestar
  • Car Year:1997
I bet all yr models will bog down. Mx5 cup car did and its got a lot more juice
2010, 2011 SM Sowdiv points champion!
2011 National points champion!

WWW.MOTORSPORTHEAVEN.COM

Jim Daniels - FIG

Jim Daniels - FIG

Site Founder

• Administrators
  • 274 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:Any
Collins, I'm parking with you.... EP debut and expecting some protesting so need you close....

"Never Stop Challenging"

Jim Daniels

Auto Sports Consulting / Coaching

My cup runneth over - Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champ Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda  - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Competitor - Grand-Am Competitor in a Mazda  (can be GT, and ST)

mdavis

mdavis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Region:Texas
Hey Lee. First of all THANK YOU for serving on our BoD. However, I think I saw your car a few weeks ago at Ed's shop. That fender dent was from my door! (your fender vs my door)

Now- on to the questions-

Numbers- SoWest Div. get priority? I have #45 already (for Tracy on this board!)!

Parking- I think Craig posted about this. Free for all or something like is done at the ARRC vs June Sprints or (hopefully not) runoffs? Been at all 3 and prefer the ARRC setup where somebody basically guides you into your spot(s).

Again- thank you very much

Matt
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
Matt,

I'll race you for it ;-)
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM