Photo

What are Your Questions for the SCCA Race @ COTA in March?

- - - - - COTA FAQ Austin

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
Where are the areas we can put sick/injured cars out of the way so no full course yellows are necessary.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

Collins, I'm parking with you.... EP debut and expecting some protesting so need you close....

Looking forward to it!
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Czarny

Czarny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Number:21
I heard that in Austin you can't carry wire cutters in your pocket.

suck fumes

suck fumes

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Lonestar
  • Car Year:1997
No but you can carry a gun in your pocket or at least they are trying to pass that law
2010, 2011 SM Sowdiv points champion!
2011 National points champion!

WWW.MOTORSPORTHEAVEN.COM

Terry Clements

Terry Clements

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:Souhwest
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:6

I heard that in Austin you can't carry wire cutters in your pocket.

Don't drop a bar of soap at a public shower in Austin and bend over to pick it up :butthead:
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Don't drop a bar of soap at a public shower in Austin and bend over to pick it up :butthead:

Is that ^ why the showers at Mid Ohio are public shower type?

I suppose concealed carry would not be concealed in a "public shower".
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32
Lee,

It seems that for many this will be first race of the season so its possible there might be well over 200 cars that need annuals. Is it possible for LSR Tech to expand hours for tech considerably (start just after lunch instead of early evening) so that this does not become crazy?

Cnj
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Lee,

It seems that for many this will be first race of the season so its possible there might be well over 200 cars that need annuals. Is it possible for LSR Tech to expand hours for tech considerably (start just after lunch instead of early evening) so that this does not become crazy?

Cnj

Get some of your buddies together and Call your regional tech guy and see if he hill make a house call before the event. That what I am doing.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC

Get some of your buddies together and Call your regional tech guy and see if he hill make a house call before the event. That what I am doing.

I am a Nationally Licensed Tech Inspector. I am willing to do SM inspections on Wednesday between test sessions if it helps.
  • MPR22 and Lee Thomas like this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

mdavis

mdavis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Region:Texas

I am a Nationally Licensed Tech Inspector. I am willing to do SM inspections on Wednesday between test sessions if it helps.

Wednesday test sessions? You got an inside line to more practice time?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Mike,

Thanks for this - awesome offer! I will definitely take you up on this. I'll come find you on Thursday (which is the presumed test day).

Cnj
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Lee Thomas

Lee Thomas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:24

Hi Mike - I tried to PM you but it said I can't... Can you reach out to the SOWDiv tech Scrutineer Art Tapley @ 817-913-4345 and let him know you'll be able to help us with tech? This will be a huge help and we are grateful for it!

-Lee

Lee Thomas

Lee Thomas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Here are some answers to the questions you posted.

Please remember: This is unofficial. The sups will contain the official rules/regs so please just use this as a guide to what might be. These answers come from the person who is directly negotiating with the track and are not hearsay but until the sups are done, nothing is official. If I get anything way wrong, just look for me at the track for your official apology. I've had lot of practice so I'm really good at apologizing.

What is the fee for registration? $650 - Credit cards will be accepted online only. Registration will be on DLB and announced on the SOWDiv website on January 15th. Only cash or checks will be accepted at the race. Garages can be rented when you register. Garages will rent for $500 for the race weekend Unclear if this will include the test & tune days. The garages have doors on both sides (like TMS) but only the doors on the pit side will be open.

Event Link: http://www.scca.com/events/index.cfm?eid=5405

Describe the process to book our test/tune days. How will they ensure it’s only SCCA racers are booking that time? $150/day (We will have two full days - Wednesday & Thursday) - COTA will handle this. Registration for test & tune days will open on January 21st on MotorSportsReg.com Make sure you have you valid SCCA membership cards for the whole event. Friday practice will be included in your registration fee. We get three full days of practice...sweet!

Who gets priority for car numbers? SOWDiv members get first priority for car numbers.

Will there be a track walk in the schedule? Yes

Will shower facilities be available for racers? Where? Yes - The only showers are near the RV Park

What is the policy regarding visitor access to paddock areas? No spectators, only members. Temporary SCCA crew memberships are encouraged and will be available at the track. Unclear if this can be done before the race weekend.

What is the policy regarding visitor/spectator access to other viewing areas of the track? TBD although there is some speculation that the general admission grass berms between turns 1 and 10 will be available to us. Stay tuned...

Where is parking? TBD. May be in the back paddock.

What is the cost of RV parking? $40/night for Fri/Sat/Sun. Test and tune days are still TBD.

Are there air compressors available? Unknown

Will the tower be open? Cost? No. There is active construction going on so that whole area will be off limits to us.

What happens if we go over the maximum allowed car count in a run group? Does any specific group get preferential treatment? There will be 7 run groups. First come first served. 85 cars max per run group. Waiting list beyond that.

What are the costs for track damage, etc? Refer to the sups. We've all seen posts on this so just assume: It's going to be expensive.

Are wood blocks required under jack stands? Refer to sups. Do whatever you have to do to avoid damage to all areas of the track, paddock and garages.

Is camping allowed? Where? No tent camping will be permitted

Are pit vehicles allowed? Cars? Bikes? Golf carts? Yes. Golf carts and bikes. We are working with vendor to rent golf carts at the track. Cost unknown at this time.

Will SCCA insurance cover track damage? TBD but assume you will be responsible.

Fuel at the track? TBD

Oil dump facilities? Yes

Annual tech during the event? Yes. Try to get this done before you come because the line for this will be long!

Will COTA have installed a temp pit wall in pit lane so that there is separation between hot pits and cold pits or must all cars in garages exit on paddock side? Yes. This will be setup the weekend before our race.

The finish position where there is a flager stand (where Charlie Whiting stands) is actually shortly after turn 19. Will we have one or two flag positions? Start/finish will be separated.

Edited by Lee Thomas, 01-14-2013 03:48 PM.

Lee Thomas

Lee Thomas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Check out the video feeds @ COTA. We will have access to all of this.

Posted Image

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
Lee,

There's sweet and sour to that :)

There's 45 pan tilt zoom cameras (close to two per corner - you can see them on the poles) and each records Hdef video to hard drive. The system allows the stewards to run any incident back in slow motion and gang (via time code) any number of cameras to see exactly what happened. So no where to hide if you screwed up, but great if you think you were wronged...

It does mean that in an accident race control can visually get right up to the car almost immediately to see what's going on. Great for safety.
Us drivers may spend the weekend peeing in Portapotty's but race control will be flying first class.

Cnj

tLinder

tLinder

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:SouthWest
  • Car Number:40

Here are some answers to the questions you posted.

Please remember: This is unofficial. The sups will contain the official rules/regs so please just use this as a guide to what might be. These answers come from the person who is directly negotiating with the track and are not hearsay but until the sups are done, nothing is official. If I get anything way wrong, just look for me at the track for your official apology. I've had lot of practice so I'm really good at apologizing.

What is the fee for registration? $650 - Credit cards will be accepted online only. Registration will be on DLB and announced on the SOWDiv website on January 15th. Only cash or checks will be accepted at the race. Garages can be rented when you register. Garages will rent for $500 for the race weekend Unclear if this will include the test & tune days. The garages have doors on both sides (like TMS) but only the doors on the pit side will be open.

Describe the process to book our test/tune days. How will they ensure it’s only SCCA racers are booking that time? $150/day (We will have two full days - Wednesday & Thursday) - COTA will handle this. Registration for test & tune days will open on January 21st on MotorSportsReg.com Make sure you have you valid SCCA membership cards for the whole event. Friday practice will be included in your registration fee. We get three full days of practice...sweet!

Who gets priority for car numbers? SOWDiv members get first priority for car numbers.

Will there be a track walk in the schedule? Yes

Will shower facilities be available for racers? Where? Yes - The only showers are near the RV Park

What is the policy regarding visitor access to paddock areas? No spectators, only members. Temporary SCCA crew memberships are encouraged and will be available at the track. Unclear if this can be done before the race weekend.

What is the policy regarding visitor/spectator access to other viewing areas of the track? TBD although there is some speculation that the general admission grass berms between turns 1 and 10 will be available to us. Stay tuned...

Where is parking? TBD. May be in the back paddock.

What is the cost of RV parking? $40/night for Fri/Sat/Sun. Test and tune days are still TBD.

Are there air compressors available? Unknown

Will the tower be open? Cost? No. There is active construction going on so that whole area will be off limits to us.

What happens if we go over the maximum allowed car count in a run group? Does any specific group get preferential treatment? There will be 7 run groups. First come first served. 85 cars max per run group. Waiting list beyond that.

What are the costs for track damage, etc? Refer to the sups. We've all seen posts on this so just assume: It's going to be expensive.

Are wood blocks required under jack stands? Refer to sups. Do whatever you have to do to avoid damage to all areas of the track, paddock and garages.

Is camping allowed? Where? No tent camping will be permitted

Are pit vehicles allowed? Cars? Bikes? Golf carts? Yes. Golf carts and bikes. We are working with vendor to rent golf carts at the track. Cost unknown at this time.

Will SCCA insurance cover track damage? TBD but assume you will be responsible.

Fuel at the track? TBD

Oil dump facilities? Yes

Annual tech during the event? Yes. Try to get this done before you come because the line for this will be long!

Will COTA have installed a temp pit wall in pit lane so that there is separation between hot pits and cold pits or must all cars in garages exit on paddock side? Yes. This will be setup the weekend before our race.

The finish position where there is a flager stand (where Charlie Whiting stands) is actually shortly after turn 19. Will we have one or two flag positions? Start/finish will be separated.

Lee,
Concerning the garages, with doors only opening to the pit wall side, do you still believe 6 SM's is reasonable / logical per garage reservation?

And by the way, BIG THANKS for being our Liaison. (I believe the punishment for mis-information is you'll have to run a 1.6 :scared:
  • Lee Thomas likes this

Toby Linder