Photo

What are Your Questions for the SCCA Race @ COTA in March?

- - - - - COTA FAQ Austin

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39
Hi Lee and Chris - hoping that you will look at this and let our comments be known

Based on what I saw in the supps, in my opinion Qualifying is really going to be a BIG issue. Each race has only 1 x 15 minute qualifying session to determine the grid. There will NEVER be enough time to allow all drivers to get in decent qualifying laps. I predict cars will start lining up on the false grid at least a day before their qualifying session to ensure that they at least get one flying clean lap.

Trying to get 85 cars onto a track for a 15 minute session to set the grid is likely to lead to some really poor grid results. I predict that several really fast cars will be held up and grid way behind slower cars, creating that unhealthy first lap drama where the faster car tries to pass slower cars that don't expect them or even see them coming.

For Double Nationals here in the SEDiv we have ZERO PRACTICE, you can sign up for the test day before if you want, but on the official 3 day weekend, you get 1 x 25 minute qualifier PLUS 1 x 20 minute (or 15 minute qualifier) per race. This allocation of time helps to sort out the grid.

But with only one 15 minute session per race, plus 85 cars on the track, and with a high 2 minute lap, there will be only a few that get their clean lap in - this will make for an interesting drama filled first race lap for sure.

If I were the race chair I would QUICKLY AMEND THE SUPPS, change Friday's 25 minute non-timed practice sessions into 25 minute Qualifying sessions.

Just my $0.02
  • Todd Lamb, Jim Drago and James York like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92
Yeah, I'm not real happy with a 15 minute P/Q either...

We really need this to come off clean and easy. So far, my hopes are dim.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Danny, just my opinion but 25 minutes isn't enough time if all drivers have option to be on track at any point in that time frame. I think you should consider something like they do in kart racing. each driver has 3-4 laps to set a hot lap and that is it. release drivers in groups of 20, staggered a few seconds apart, 3 hot laps and you are in. Next group go.

But I know that even though it is club racing and supposed to be fun, it would take an act of god to do something contrary to what is written down.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

zoomzoom22

zoomzoom22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Region:Southeast
Danny is right here.

Worth noting, many will practice during the test days. Don't get what everyone will doing Friday except practicing more?

At least if someone qualified well enough on Friday they may skip the 15 session that is the same day of their race which would mean less cars on track those same day race sessions which would certainly be a good thing. Guys being asked to lay it all out there in a 1 and done qualifying the same day of the race is a recipe for disaster. When you consider speed differences in many of the groups that will also get ugly. I'm even a little surprised the majors program didn't provide a little guidance on this too.

Lastly, if the Friday sessions were qualifying sessions, more people would likely test. For me I am wondering about going thru a day of brakes and tires during a test day to go thru more on the Friday and nothing really matters except getting my car to the grid early for the 15 throw down.

On the other hand watching SM's park on the grid the night before will be funny. Draw a number out of a hat in terms of where you grid to keep it fair? Watch the debacle that causes with all the team cars ;)

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I honestly think drawing numbers would be better than one fifteen minute session as we will be double yellow for sure with lots of chaos and carnage with 85 people all trying to get their lap.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
Yeah, this has cluster written all over it... Be safe fellas.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

zoomzoom22

zoomzoom22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Region:Southeast

I honestly think drawing numbers would be better than one fifteen minute session as we will be double yellow for sure with lots of chaos and carnage with 85 people all trying to get their lap.

Yup drawing out of a hat where you will grid for the lone 15 minute session will get ugly when team cars try to hook up ;)

Hopefully this gets thought thru very quickly as are the ramifications.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I meant just draw for qualifying positions... :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Blake Clements

Blake Clements

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
  • Car Number:6
I think we should line up based on where we registered. :sorry:
  • John Babot likes this

Blake Clements

http://www.blakeclements.com - Driver Coaching, Consulting, & Video/Data Analysis.

OPM Autosports/SP Induction Systems/X-Factor Racing/G-Loc Brakes/Traqmate/Bell Helmets

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner -

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
How about qual from practice times?
If you didn't practice you aren't starting up front anyway.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Blake nobody has registered...
  • William Keeling likes this

K. Webb