Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:12

Based on input from drivers at the Thunderhill Double Regional in late May plus a 97% yes vote to a survey of 2013 SMT entrants, effective immediately, SFR will be allowing the Toyo RR for SMT for the remainder of this season including the Sonoma Sprints in July.  This is the same tire that NASA requires.

The goal is to support SMT drivers with affordable, fun racing and we will monitor the usage of the RR for the remainder of the season to collect information for 2014.  Regional SMT entrants may use the Toyo RA1, Hoosier SM6 or Toyo RR, all in 205/50-15.

Cars running at Sonoma who want National points must run Hoosier SM6.

Note the SSM tire has NOT changed and remains only the RA1.

Thank you for your input!

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest

Just curious Brian..does this 97% yes vote indicate satisfaction with what the RR is delivering, or more to do with the ability to enter both SCCA or NASA without having to deal with the tire issue? Or maybe both? Seems like a very racer friendly decision.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Just curious Brian..does this 97% yes vote indicate satisfaction with what the RR is delivering, or more to do with the ability to enter both SCCA or NASA without having to deal with the tire issue? Or maybe both? Seems like a very racer friendly decision.

No one for the most part have run the RR in SFR. Brian will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the main reason was the complaints of the costs to run the Hoosiers.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Driven by cost (in theory).  I disagree with it personally but we (try hard to) run a customer-oriented program here.  There are satisfied NASA drivers who have used the RRs however I don't know of much empirical data to date.  We're going to use the rest of '13 to figure it out, taking into account some other things coming down the pike that we'll be announcing soon!

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:34

Thanks to the SCCA board for implementing this rule change that will hopefully help contain the higher tire costs we have encountered this year! A few points for all:

1) We have a good amount of empirical data from Norcal NASA about the longevity and drivability of the RR's. By all accounts, the longevity is approaching that of the RA1's but with greater performance.

2) Performance vs. Hoosier is a harder call. My estimate is that the Hoosier will outperform the RR's, but at a higher cost. If you are willing to spend a kilobuck per weekend on tires (not me) then you will put new Hoosiers on every weekend for qual and 3 races and use the remains for practice. This is the approach that many top racers employ. (See this link: http://mazdaracers.c...break-in/page-2)

3) If you are inclined toward a more modest tire budget (me) then you will try RR's and probably run a few tenth's off of those on a higher Hoosier budget. That's life in racing: there is usually someone willing to spend more $. The great thing about our being able to run both RR's and Hoosiers this season is that we will get a lot of objective data to see what the tradeoffs are here -- $ and performance -- which will inform our decision for next year.

Zoom zoom!

[Edited: I'm researching the tire rotation point (4) as it appears the rotation issue may have been resolved.]

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:34

About RR tire delamination and diagonal rotation issues from last year, I asked Ron Cortez at AIM about the current status. Here is his reply:

"TOYO RR's should be switched by crossing if you want to follow the correct procedure. However, we have not seen an issue with the tires made in 2013.  It was only with a two week period of production the middle of 2012 that we say some, not all, have an issue.  The same tread issue was found on RA1's, R888's and Nittos of the same production dates!  So, it wasn't only the RR that experienced the problem."

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Car Number:88

Any Contingency $$$ ??  :D

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Thanks to the SCCA board for implementing this rule change that will hopefully help contain the higher tire costs we have encountered this year! A few points for all:

1) We have a good amount of empirical data from Norcal NASA about the longevity and drivability of the RR's. By all accounts, the longevity is approaching that of the RA1's but with greater performance.

2) Performance vs. Hoosier is a harder call. My estimate is that the Hoosier will outperform the RR's, but at a higher cost. If you are willing to spend a kilobuck per weekend on tires (not me) then you will put new Hoosiers on every weekend for qual and 3 races and use the remains for practice. This is the approach that many top racers employ. (See this link: http://mazdaracers.c...break-in/page-2)

3) If you are inclined toward a more modest tire budget (me) then you will try RR's and probably run a few tenth's off of those on a higher Hoosier budget. That's life in racing: there is usually someone willing to spend more $. The great thing about our being able to run both RR's and Hoosiers this season is that we will get a lot of objective data to see what the tradeoffs are here -- $ and performance -- which will inform our decision for next year.

Zoom zoom!

[Edited: I'm researching the tire rotation point (4) as it appears the rotation issue may have been resolved.]

My comment is more along the lines that I don't think perception and reality are quite lined up with the Hoosiers yet (out here). I scrubbed mine according to the procedures and on the test day I ran the same lap time on HC #11 at 4pm as I did on HC #5 at 9am.  Other people are cording them by HC #5 or 6.  To me, that suggests that there is something else going on besides pure tire characteristics.

I'm looking forward to how they perform and last.  The most important thing in my opinion is to be on one tire for our class.  

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

My comment is more along the lines that I don't think perception and reality are quite lined up with the Hoosiers yet (out here). I scrubbed mine according to the procedures and on the test day I ran the same lap time on HC #11 at 4pm as I did on HC #5 at 9am.  Other people are cording them by HC #5 or 6.  To me, that suggests that there is something else going on besides pure tire characteristics.

I'm looking forward to how they perform and last.  The most important thing in my opinion is to be on one tire for our class.  

I think you have a better chance of getting the same laptime on cycles 5 & 11 than you do comparing cycle 1 or 2 to cycle 5.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I think a lot is track and temp dependent as well.. Last year we qualified for the Sprints on 6-8 session Hoosiers and went out on Stickers every session at the Runoffs. We will likley be on on session 5-6 for qualifying this years at Sprints and racing session 2-3

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Any Contingency $$$ ??  :D

J~

YEP http://www.nasaprora...y_Info_Spec.pdf

Oh, sorry :devil:

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Car Number:88

I know that one.

Was wondering if AIM was going to do a little something something, providing you got the tire from him/AIM.

Haven't been following the SCCA RA1 conting, so....

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hoosier, toyo, sfrscca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users