Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:51

Man that was scary. Todd, great vision as that seems hard to foresee even under replay.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Number:29
Road Atl! What a great experience. Even though my finish does not show it, after getting to learn the track, I think it now ranks up there with Sebring as my favorite. What a learning curve!, especially with such an incredible field. I had more offs, and even a full 360 in the Sat race, this weekend than I have had in 2 years combined. I do have to give a Big Shout Out and Thank You to Drago who helped me get up to speed (he is so fast there, even when you know what he is doing its hard to mimic) and Todd Lamb.....this guy is an incredible coach, even if you are already very experienced he is a big help. Todd had some really amazing insights that helped me. I wish we were doing this again this weekend. For me it was one of those "wish I knew then what I know now"

I really want to CONGRATULATE the guys at the front, what an accomplishment! The race weekend was basically a runoffs race. Alex and Jim both had amazing weekends and deserved the hard fought wins.

Lastly, I want to thank Jim, Robert and the East Street team and crew. My car was amazing all weekend, and plenty capable, just needed a real race weekend at RA to be able to compete at the front.
  • Joe (dad) Jordan, pat slattery and Jim Drago like this
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Tough break Todd. It always seems  the 2nd or 3rd car that gets collected or does the collecting! Great heads up vision and gut instinct on the P car incident. The Z car was definitely fixated on the car in front headed up the hill. Good lesson for all when you know something is wrong and the car is going to stop...drive it or let it roll OFF the track!

Yiannis had to have one of those "Rut row!!!" moments...that has to be the scariest moment just waiting for the charging herd  :help:

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

zoomzoom22

zoomzoom22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Region:Southeast

350z driver video from bumper.

His name is Richard Baldwin/Zorro Racing.

Not sure if you can view it if you are logged into facebook unless you are a friend?  Pretty scary.

https://www.facebook...152270158018704

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Not sure if you can view it if you are logged into facebook unless you are a friend?

Ummm, that would be no.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I think Danny touched on it after Sebring.  It amazing the new young talented guys that are coming in to Spec Miata. As many my age or close can attest to, we don't think we are old. I am finding out we are. I am starting to realize I am nearly twice the age of some of these guys now :(  Dillon, Sellin, the Landy's. All of these guys can really drive and are VERY young.  Hell Blake informed me he was born in 84,I graduated high school in 85 :( 

I had a really good weekend, from start to finish.  Test day went well, never made a toe or suspension adjustment all weekend. Just replaced a broken lower control arm from where the stabilizer mount snapped( probably jumping curb at three). Never put a wheel off and the car was as fast or faster than ever before. If the car stayed that good, I would race every weekend :) 

This race started the same as Saturdays.. I got behind my new part time and most unlikely team mate Alex and went to work trying to get away again.  We put in some really fast and consistent times, but Dillon was still able to reel us in and join the team. We continued opening up the gap on p4. With about 5 to go, I decided I was going to win or lose today from the front and Dillon came with me. We ran around like that for awhile, I started really pushing the corners I felt I had a little on Dillon and tried to get away a little, but didn't get far. I was able to stay just out of reach.  

I have to congratulate all that I raced around, I have NEVER raced as hard and no one put a nick on my car, nor me on theirs.  To think that we raced as hard as we did and had nothing is very impressive. I will be the first to admit that Alex and I often don't agree on much,  there is no doubting his ability, he is a real talent and is having one hell of a start to the season.  I don't know Dillon at all, but from what I have seen on track, he is also a real talent and not sure how we will manage to stay ahead of these young guys.  

Also a sincere congrats to all the competitors/ shops in this class. All chipped in this weekend wherever and with whomever needed and all bonded when we thought our drivers were in trouble with the carnage.  We often complain and we take a lot for granted, but I can say without a doubt, what we have in SM is VERY special and the racing is as good and as close it gets ANYWHERE! It you are sitting on the sidelines watching the parade go by,  you are making a huge mistake! This is "the good old days " we will be talking about in ten years, it is NOW! Get involved!  13 cars qualified within .45 of a second. Just insane and it does not get any better!!!

As always I need to thank my friends Craig,Erik and Pat, without those guys, I would probably not race. My "fun" factor is far better off track than on, racing is just the tie that binds us all.  Parking with Novak and the Caveman added to the weekend.( in more ways than one :) )  Then throw in Drennan and Lamb around the corner and the OPM and Advanced ladies just up the hill to steal food,parts and supplies from, it just doesn't get any better :)  It was a very fun weekend, on and off the track. My favorite track, win or lose. 

Jim

• 38bfast likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

zoomzoom22

zoomzoom22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Region:Southeast

Ummm, that would be no.

Try this one.  Looks like you have to be logged into facebook....

https://www.facebook...152270158018704

Panic Motorsports

Panic Motorsports

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Region:079 SCR
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:90

You don't happen to have the video from that other incident, do you Todd? The one on the back straight?

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Congrats to all the winners and podium finishers at Road Atlanta this past weekend. You all deserve our respect, as this was one of the deepest SM fields assembled at this track in a long time. I was not up to the task this weekend and I was never a factor. It happens to all of us. Strange to see Cliff Brown struggle as well. And as Jim said above, it is really pleasing to see the new wave of young Spec Miata drivers making their mark in this class. Young drivers will make us look cool!!! And PS Jim, you graduated high school 10 years after me!!!

In the 2nd race I was just pushing too hard and with two laps to go was closing in on 4th place and over drove the exit of turn 5 and put my right front wheel in the hollowed out gravel trap, and it sent me into the air head first at 78 MPH into the tire wall in T5. I fortunately released the wheel at impact otherwise I would have broken both my thumbs as the wheel spun violently as I did a full pirouette in the air and came to rest exactly where the Porsche was struck in Saturday’s horrific wreck.

It’s amazing the thoughts that go through your mind when you are exposed like that. My first thought, at the instant of impact, was that I knew I that I had totaled my car, and that I would not be making the trip to VIR. I also knew I was a sitting duck in the impact zone and it was just matter of seconds before I would be T-boned by the pack. The Saturday’s wreck was firmly imprinted in my mind and I for the first time in my life I was REALLY fearful of being hit by someone else. Until that moment it had never worried me.

For what seemed like an eternity, but was actually just a few seconds, I was sitting there in the impact zone absolutely fearful screaming at the marshals to stop the cars from T-boning me, and then I looked down at the dash realized my car was still running, and miraculously I drove it out of the impact zone, and all the way to the pits.

When you see the impact below. You will NEVER believe that this is how little damage my car suffered. Tire walls – I LOVE YOU – not in a million years did I think I would have had this kind of damage after that kind of hit. In fact there was nothing preventing me from completing the race, no tire rub, no broken radiator, nothing other than I was completely unaware of the lack of damage to the car.

Thanks to Tom for building a strong car, but I know I got lucky this time. Thanks to all my sponsors and supporters, and sorry to disappoint you this weekend.  OPM Autosports, Rossini Racing Engines, Traqmate Data, Carbotech brakes and Adept Photo Studios. 

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

It’s amazing the thoughts that go through your mind when you are exposed like that. My first thought, at the instant of impact, was that I knew I that I had totaled my car, and that I would not be making the trip to VIR.

I really did laugh out loud reading that.. I have very similar and strangely inappropriate thoughts in similar situations :) Glad you didn't get hurt or damage the car too badly. As I said On FB.. It seemed like T5 had a devilish quota of cars that it felt it needed to fulfill this weekend. It is my favorite turn in all of racing, but it can really bite you!
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

suck fumes

suck fumes

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Lonestar
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:75
Holy moly! Is there a big rut there that launched your car?
2010, 2011 SM Sowdiv points champion!
2011 National points champion!

WWW.MOTORSPORTHEAVEN.COM

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Oh man Danny...besides you that corner worker was checking his shorts to!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Aaron, there is a little rut between the two paved areas that is filled with gravel. As the weekend goes on it gets a bit deeper. We normally just graze it as the two pavments converge into a V and run over the converged area. This time I was just a bit too ambitious on entry, entered at 78mph on the rev limiter when I normally come in at around 75-76mph, had to add a bit of counter steer as the rear end got loose and entered the V about 10 foot too early and it launched me. I now realize that no matter how much steering input you add while you are in the air, the car will not turn!!!!

The really dumbass thing about this is that in the STL race earlier that morning, Voytek DID EXACTLY THE SAME THING in my rear view mirror, chasing too hard in the attempt to make up one spot in the last few laps. His car is a lot worse. As Mark Pombo says, you have never really mastered Road Atlanta until you have had intimate contact with the Turn 5 wall. Like Jim, this is my favorite turn in all of racing.

Danny
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

mellen

mellen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:87

Finally back from Atlanta and just wanted to post a note from a mid-packer. I could not agree more with Jim and his comments about the SM community. The help going back and forth, the exchange of ideas is great. You truly do not know what your missing if you do not attend one of these great Majors races. A shout out to Joe Catania and Mark Gibbons for some of the cleanest , greatest racing i have ever done.  Great to know you can have great intense and clean racing when you are racing for 30th just like the guys racing for 1st.

• 38bfast and DrDomm like this
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting HOLY SHIT........WHAT A RIDE!!!!!!!!
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:12

I walked the track Friday night and looked at 5 in detail.  Beyond the exit curbing, there is not just a rut but the gravel trap then angles upwards pretty significantly.  Then it flattens out at the connector road which is where you go airborne if you more than just drop a wheel.  As Danny says, it doesn't turn so well at that point.

Attached Files

• Danny Steyn likes this
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom OPM

Tom OPM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Region:SE
  • Car Year:1990

As a experienced turn 5 wall smacker I can tell you once you get to that gravel you usually do not get a free pass.

• Joe (dad) Jordan, Muda and Jim Drago like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

suck fumes

suck fumes

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Lonestar
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:75
I'll keep that in mind in August. Although my mustang may not go as high as a Miata cause it weighs a 1000 pds more.
2010, 2011 SM Sowdiv points champion!
2011 National points champion!

WWW.MOTORSPORTHEAVEN.COM

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

I walked the track Friday night and looked at 5 in detail.  Beyond the exit curbing, there is not just a rut but the gravel trap then angles upwards pretty significantly.  Then it flattens out at the connector road which is where you go airborne if you more than just drop a wheel.  As Danny says, it doesn't turn so well at that point.

Brian, thanks for that photo. Next time I go to Road Atlanta, I am going to walk the track and piss all over that V!!!!

• Mike Collins likes this

Danny

Todd Lamb

Todd Lamb

Driver Coach // Racer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Wondering if the SCCA has any pull to get that filled in with concrete?

Full disclosure: SMAC chairman, my opinions do not reflect anything to do with the SMAC unless specifically stated.

Todd Lamb
Atlanta Speedwerks
www.atlspeedwerks.com
SpeedShift Transmissions - reliability and performance

Spec Miata / Spec Boxster / Spec Cayman specialist

Spec MX-5 Challenge Series Director

Global MX-5 Cup team

MX5 Cup Champion - Has won a Season in the MX5 Cup Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Majors Winner - World Challenge Winner - World Challenge Winner

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

I think every SM driver who races that track should kick in $20 and just fill that sucker in by themselves.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users