ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:59

There are 32 SE30's and 19 SM's at the moment. Think they will split classes? Would be nice to have a schedule three weeks out from the event...

Either way, going to be fun weekend and looking forward to meeting racers from out of the region! It's a shame you're going to get spanked by a little red 1.6  :duck:

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

I sent this out to the drivers registered for the 2014 NASA Western Champs.  It may not be the ultimate answer but for right now it works for NASA.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

SM Driver;

Given all that has happened in our community over the past 10 days, I just wanted to send a quick email to touch base.

The plunge cut protest at last week’s Runoffs has had my phone and email rather busy for days.  I’ve been gathering info and working with some great folks (thanks Craig) to come up with a way to make it work best we can given the time frame and complexity of the issue.  So, for the 2014 NASA Western Championship we’re leaning toward this:
  • There will be an a moratorium on “plunge cut protests” for the Western Champs and the remainder of the NASA season.
  • NASA Tech will still inspect the plunge cut just as we would normally when the valves are out of the head.  Tech will act accordingly based on NASA’s clarification of the rule.
  • The Clarification will allow some deburring but not egregious blending.  My goal is to have illustrations and photos to help make our interpretation of the machining process less subjective.

I’m still working on the wording of NASA’s clarification and should have something out to you and have it published somewhere on NASA’s website and/or Facebook page(s) hopefully by the middle of next week.

Please feel free to reply to this email if you have specific questions about this or anything else regarding tech and this year’s Western Champs.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Tentative schedule posted! We(20 entrants) are running with Spec 944(18 entrants).

We are also never on track past noon LOL (bring lots of beer  :guinness: )

Schedule

• Johnny D likes this

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Anybody know what a 944 laptime is?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Number:11

Can you drink yet? 

Ugg another class in the championships....

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Wasn't 21 at the beginning of the season but I am now!

Also, I had to replace my windshield due to the gravel meteor showers that hit my car during the 5 mile Thunderhill races, and my 2014 tech sticker extraction process didn't go as planned and it now looks like it went through a cheese grater. Will I have trouble getting another sticker at the event?

Johnny, fastest 944's were 1:57 at last event.

-Ecobrap

Sacslider

Sacslider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:27
When we do not have enough entries we will have to run a combined group.... It pays benefit to everyone to sign up early...
Craig Evans
NASA NorCal SpecMiata Director Retired
NASA Norcal Region Champion - SpecMiata 2011, 2013<p>
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Number:11

I some how thought that was the case.  With the low signups.  Wonder if the MRLS issue had an effect on this event's attendance? 

If you have the annual log book which was signed off they should give you a new sticker (if they have any) without incident.  Otherwise they will sign you off for the weekend given it is the last race of the year.  

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Chad Martin

Chad Martin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Region:Midwest
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:38

WOW, they are mixing 944spec and SM?!  Regardless of lap times the 944s are considerably slower in the corners but can out motor SMs in a straight line.  I can tell you guys at RAT for the eastern states champs the 944s had A HUGE affect on the PT racing.   We ran an RX-7 in PTE and had more straight line speed than the 944spec cars so we could motor by them.  We were marginally slower in the corners than the PTE miatas (faster lap times than SM) so the miatas would get held up in the corners but couldnt easily pass the 944s on the straights.  It really played into our favor and helped secure a good lead and the win.  Sonoma being less of a straight line HP track than Road Atlanta will help some but this will really make things interesting for you SM guys racing there...also the 944s tend to have an even wider variety of skill than SM...

• ECOBRAP likes this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

We've been running with E30's, this sounds great.

I assume they actual have a racing line and don't turn in like a dump truck.

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

We've been running with E30's, this sounds great.

I assume they actual have a racing line and don't turn in like a dump truck.

J~

I think they will be worse than E30's. They will walk away from us on straights and be snails through the corners. Like Chad said the variability of drivers seems greater than in SM (many drivers over 2:10/lap) and with our 45 minute race it will get interesting...

Can we bribe them to slow Drennan down?  :angel:

And our entrants list dropped from 20 to 18...

-Ecobrap

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Brian G dropped after the Runoffs.

Have to check the conting again. Is 19+ important?

Remember will be catching the back of the pack, should be one at a time.

J~

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I have a question (I'm raising my hand) :wave:

So for SFR, this is our last regional race. (Jerry said so) :)

Do do we get Regional and Championships Contingency ??  :prayer:

J~

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

I think they will be worse than E30's. They will walk away from us on straights and be snails through the corners. Like Chad said the variability of drivers seems greater than in SM (many drivers over 2:10/lap) and with our 45 minute race it will get interesting...

Can we bribe them to slow Drennan down?  :angel:

And our entrants list dropped from 20 to 18...

For our cars 944's make better drafting partners (if they are in front that is) than E30.  You'd think since those E30's resemble garage doors they'd be good but not so much.

Brian G dropped after the Runoffs.

Have to check the conting again. Is 19+ important?

Remember will be catching the back of the pack, should be one at a time.

J~

I'm out too.  With all the nonsense going on I don't feel it's responsible for me to have my attention not on providing the best event possible for all'yall.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Hmmm...at what point does Mazda money kick in? 21?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Chad Martin

Chad Martin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Mazda money is always available down to min of 4 car championship.  It gets reduced by 25% if you have less than 10 cars and by 50% if you have less than 7.   The mazda min competitor rules are as good or better than anyones.  Most everything else is maxed at 10, in some cases 15.

Mazda Champ Contingency is about the only thing keeping Performance Touring alive at this point.  ;)

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Toyo, Hoosies, some others but only if you win regionally in a open tire class

Spec is where it at.

https://nasa-assets....s_Reg_Spec1.pdf

https://nasa-assets....hamp_Spec...pdf

https://nasa-assets...._Spec_Tire..pdf

J~

Chad Martin

Chad Martin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Yeah Toyo Spec Tire support is fantastic as well.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

What's up with Maxxis in PT ??. 8 tires for a win. Geez

https://nasa-assets....ency_InfoV2.pdf

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Where do we get all the decals for contingency? Will they be at tech at the track?

-Ecobrap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users