Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Aim tire has toyo.

You have to read which ever one you want.

Most are for the winner at the bottom, but there some

https://www.nasapror...m/contingencies

Mazda they'll send in a day or to from LA.

AiM is doing a Aim Solo

Hawks are in Tech if you run them

Racer Parts wholesale, 4th gets a Racng Harness ?

SRC, 1st 4th, 8th, 12th $

Go Pro 

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Number:59

Thanks, looks like I'll be sticking with just Toyo contingency...

Like you I am curious if we could submit both regional and champ contingency.

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Looks like Mazda pays $350 for 5th, $3500 for 1st. (Minus taxes) 

Page 8, make sure you got everything,.

http://www.mazdamoto...gencyAwards.pdf

http://www.mazdamoto...&langId=-1&ss=6

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

If my racing suit says NISSAN all over it, do you think I can still get Mazda contingency with a 5" "Mazda" patch on the suit LOL  :king:

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Chad Martin

Chad Martin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Region:Midwest
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:38

Sure but after one set of MAXXIS tires you sure won't want two more sets...free or not!    Kidding, i have never run them, i have no idea if they are any good.  They just seem SUPER eager to get a foot in the door.

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
Signed up.
  • MPR22 likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Ya, I saw, cool, long time. :thumbsup:

J~

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Toyo, Hoosies, some others but only if you win regionally in a open tire class

Spec is where it at.

https://nasa-assets....s_Reg_Spec1.pdf

https://nasa-assets....hamp_Spec...pdf

https://nasa-assets...._Spec_Tire..pdf

J~

That depends.  Supersizing and turning a single lap in TTE and wining 2 Hoosiers is pretty hard to beat. ;)  But yeah, overall, and for really large fields Toyo is awesome!  (Talking about regional events.)

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

We are back up to 22 entries. Parking was also updated, we are on the other side of pre-grid, in front of the race control tower. When is everyone heading to the track?

-Ecobrap

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Did you get the email last night ?

J~

Attention racers:  Our official classifieds partner Racer Connect will be live video streaming on the web for the NASA Western States Championships at Sonoma raceway, Nov 7th through the 9th!

Racer Connect is debuting their live in-car streaming product called RaceCast! where family, friends, or fans can watch the in-car views or follow the excitement from five strategically placed track-side cameras views.

Live timing, scoring, and live track-side video streams will also be on display on six 50” LCD panels at the Racer Connect  Command Center  located in the paddock for crew and event attendees to watch.

Racer Connect is offering all NASA Western States Championship racers a free introductory RaceCast! account for this special event.  If you are interested in live in-car streaming during the championship races, contact Racer Connect at contact@racerconnect.com.

Let’s Go Racing With Racer Connect’s RaceCast!

Links:
Racer Connect Live! 
http://live.racerconnect.com

Racer Connect Classifieds http://classifieds.racerconnect.com

--

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Wow, a lot has happened in our community since the 2014 NASA Spec Miata Eastern Championship race!  In this email I’ll address the latest controversies, how they will be addressed at this event, outline what is expected of you and what you can expect at this years Western Championship.

Most have run one of these big events so much of this will be familiar, but there are some important points and times in this email so please read it carefully.

For those who don't know me, I'm the SM National Director for NASA, I'm the jackwagon who works on the rules and parity of our wacky class.  I’ll be your Series Director for the event in charge of car/class questions and technical inspections. I will not be racing at this event so my availability should be pretty good.

Contact info at the event:

• Cell & Txt: 818.439.7436 (best way to get me)

• Email: John@Weekend-Racer.com

• Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/john.mueller.167  (please tag me on your posts)

EVENT FORMAT:

• Thursday - Open testing (7:30am drivers meeting)

• Friday - Qualifying and Qualifying race #1 gridded by the morning qualifying

• Saturday – Warm-up & Qualifying Race #2 gridded by Friday's fastest lap in the Friday Qual race

• Sunday – Championship Race will be gridded by points from Qualifying Race #1 plus #2

ON-TRACK SCHEDULE: (SM is running in Group A)

https://nasa-assets....ps_schedule.pdf    

MEETING SCHEDULE:

• MANDATORY Race Drivers Meeting will take place 6:30pm Thursday November 6th at the Driver’s Lounge.

• The entire class will meet as soon as the Race Drivers Mtg concludes, this as well is a mandatory meeting.

• NOTE: There will be an automatic penalty of being moved to last starting position for the first qualifying race for missing either of these meetings without giving prior notice to me. So, print this email off and keep it with you for my contact info in case you have travel delays.

RACE DIRECTOR:

We are very fortunate to have Tom Clayton as our race steward. Tom is an accomplished racer, he understands all issues from all angles, including in the SM world.

Tom will handle all issues and questions regarding on-track conduct and race results (not me).  Tom will be conducting meetings at the event, I will be attendance giving reports from Tech.  These meetings will be the key vehicle for distributing information to you, attendance will be mandatory unless you make other special arrangements with Tom or me.

Let's make Tom's job easy by making high percentage moves while on-track.  If we collectively keep the red-mist at bay and make good decisions everyone will be able to drive your cars up on your trailers and remember this as an awesome time.

RANDOM ITEMS: (some are repeats, sorry)

I’m not going to go really far into what is expected from you guys because all of you should know already how to conduct yourselves on a race weekend.

• Event Regs (read them and check back often for updates): http://www.nasaproracing.com/nationals/Regs_West_Champs2014.pdf

• Parking Map & Traffic Plan: https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/content/upload/4967/2014_Champs_Map_Combined_10-25-14.pdf

• SPEC FUEL:  Use the 91 track fuel only.

• SM is great because we race really close and hard but good sportsmanship is a requirement throughout this entire event.  If you stray from this there will be consequences ranging from grid penalties to expulsion from the event or worse.  So, keep your cool, be reasonable with everyone and you’ll be okay.  No BS will be tolerated.

• Be on time to meetings or designate a proxy to attend for you.  If you can let me (txt) or our Race Director know if someone is standing in for you.

• Mind the flag stations and don’t pass under yellow, for if you do you’ll be DQed for that session.

• Say no to stupid dive-bomb passes!  Reckless and dumb-low-percentage moves that result in body contact will be dealt with swiftly and you’re not gonna like what happens to you if you caused it.  Read the CCR section on passing, know it and follow it.  See section 25.4 of the NASA CCR (http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf)

• If you have the ability to record video please do so every session.  It may keep you from getting DQed when you did not pass under yellow (when indeed you didn't) or may exonerate you from an avoidable contact situation.

• Be on grid with at least 15 minutes early for our sessions and know your starting position.  If you don’t where you start you may end-up starting DFL.  This happened many times at the Easter Champs a few months ago, don’t fall victim.  If you are Supersizing let me and both of your race directors know and we’ll work something out.

TECH:

Compression Testing:  For this event and all future events NASA will be Whistle testing SM’s with the valve cover removed.  If you’re held in impound at anytime during the event be sure you have a 10mm socket nearby to pop that valve cover off.

Short Turn Radius (STR):  This one got messy.  It is a common machining practice to slightly clean-up the edge at the STR after where the tool has cut the heads aluminum (deburring after plunge cut).  Some machinists and engine builders have taken this standard practice too far and have smoothed the edge with intent on gaining a performance advantage.  Initial testing shows an advantage from intentional smoothing to be around a 2hp gain.

As much as NASA would like to implement a way to make the STR a fully objective measurement the reality is it would open other doors for rules creep and acquiring one consistently from head-to-head is difficult.  Due to time constraints the 2014 Western Champs will have a more inclusive allowance on this particular item and will institute the following for this event:

• There will be a moratorium on protests of the Plunge cut and the STR, they will not be accepted.
  • If you‘re held in impound post the Championship race on Sunday be ready to remove your cylinder head and valves (after Whistle).  If you cannot or do not remove the valves from your head you will be DQ’d

All technical questions should be directed to me at this event, not the guys working in the tech area and not our race director.

• Don't monkey around with the rules, it's just not worth it.  Please bring a clean car, earn your finishing position and have fun.
  • If you are concerned about someone else not having a compliant car then read up on the protest process and move forward as you see fit.  Refer to Section 17.5 of the NASA CCR (http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf).  I respectfully ask that you consider giving me a heads-up that such a thing is coming.  With all the class has been through over the past few weeks I’d like to understand all the what’s and why’s before a protest moves forward.
  • We will be sending cars to the Dyno - if you are sent you probably won't be allowed anywhere near your car during that process.   And wont be able to know the results until a time when all will be given out. Don’t ask and tell your builder that goes for them too. 
  • Don't be surprised if at sometime your ECU is requested by tech.
  • Don't be surprised if a NASA official puts a self contained Traqmate unit in your car.  If it is tampered in anyway you'll be DQ'd from that session.
  • If you are held in impound or sent to the tech bring tools. Cars will need to be put in the air and be ready for anything.
  • If you finish in the top four or five for the Championship Race send some folks to go get A BUNCH TOOLS.  This includes a way to remove valves from your cylinder head.

Please feel free to email a reply with any questions.

Have a fun and safe Championship!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Dear NASA Championships Competitor,

I'm pleased to announce that for the first time, NASA will be having two Dynojet dynamometers at the Championships for compliance testing purposes.  After listening to customer feedback, we have decided to try this out, and see if it is as valuable to our competitors as they have suggested.  There are multiple proposed benefits of having two Dyno's on site, with the most obvious being that if one Dyno has a mechanical breakdown, we will be able to continue compliance testing using the other.  Additionally, there will be more Dyno time available for our competitors to do pre-event testing, as well as testing during the event when the Dyno's are not being used for NASA compliance testing.  Furthermore, having two Dynojets on site will allow NASA Officials to compare data from both of them, especially the weather station data that is the key component of the SAE correction factor, to help ensure that there are consistent readings throughout the event.  

In order to keep compliance testing as consistent and fair as possible, each competition series will be assigned to compliance testing on one of the Dyno's.  This will allow a competitor to do pre-event testing on the same Dyno that will be used for that vehicle if it is chosen by Officials for Dyno compliance testing.  The assignments have been chosen to allow the direct crossover classes (ST/TT1-3 and PT/TTB-F) to all use the same Dyno and for there to be approximately the same number of competitors assigned to each Dyno.  It is recommended that if a competitor is going to do pre-event testing/tuning, that the Dyno assigned for compliance testing to that vehicle's series/class be used.  So, if your series/class is assigned to the MCE Dyno, and you currently have Dyno time scheduled with TFB, we suggest that you arrange with Kevin at MCE for Dyno time. 

Classes will be assigned as follows:

TFB Dyno - John Sharp (415) 205-2222

Spec Miata

American Iron

Spec E30

GTS

MCE Dyno - Kevin Murray (530) 934-3237

944 Spec

TimeTrial

Performance Touring

Honda Challenge

So, the big question that you are probably asking yourself right now is what happens if a competitor goes over the limit of horsepower on their assigned Dyno. Of course, if NASA Officials suspect that there is any type of mechanical malfunction or unsuspected inconsistency of that Dyno, they will have the option to test the vehicle on the other Dyno.  This aspect will be discussed in more detail at the Racer and TT welcome meetings, and by your Series and Race Directors. 

Regards,

--

Will Faules
National Event Manager
Asst Divisional Director
National Auto Sport Association 

Regional Director - NASA Texas

737-932-7004
www.drivenasa.com

KyleLoustaunau

KyleLoustaunau

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Region:sfr
  • Car Number:89
John your email says the Thursday drivers meeting is at 7:30. Your post says its at 6:30.
Please tell me 7:30 is the right time.

KyleLoustaunau

KyleLoustaunau

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Region:sfr
  • Car Number:89
Never mind two separate meetings.

Bad Rusty

Bad Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Region:Arizona

John your email says the Thursday drivers meeting is at 7:30. Your post says its at 6:30.
Please tell me 7:30 is the right time.

Never mind two separate meetings.

Kyle, let Ron handle the thinking part, you go drive the wheels off of it and win that race!
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

CLARIFICATIONS:

Spec fuel for SM and SE30 will be the track 91 pump.

I guess the format changed she I wasn't looking.  starting grid for Saturdays qual race #2 will be by fastest lap on Friday's Qual race #1.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
So who won test day?
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

tLinder

tLinder

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:SouthWest
  • Car Number:40

So who won test day?

(Maybe I can manage to get qual right  :wacko:)

1. Drennam: 1:54.621

2. Loustauna: 1:55.137

3. Palermo: 1:55.342

4. Dodge: 1:55.703

5. Cresci: 1:56.33

Toby Linder