TommyB

TommyB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Region:Northeast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:50

Maybe do it like some local roundy round guys (and horse racing).

Make our races "claimers".

For a certain fee at the end of the race you can buy anybody's motor.

So , go ahead spend a gazzilion dollars, but you could end up losing it for ???? + some kind of core charge..Perhaps the fee could be equivalent to the cost of a crate motor.

Might apply this to trannys and diffs also.

Just say'n.

Regards

Tom B.

hf1

hf1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Without putting too fine a point on it, a lot of drivers at the front would probably welcome such a plan because most people would be surprised by how small the power differences are.

If the power differences are truly insignificant then the runoff results should have stood, and this thread should have never been started. If the dyno charts after few major races showed that the cars are pretty much all equal, then the class would be a happier bunch, no one would protest, everyone's racing would become cheaper, and the engine builders would be out of business (Oops!). 

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
If a car truly fails tech, you can't let that slide.

I didn't say insignificant. I'm talking about the guy's who are a second off per minute of lap time thinking that what was found here is the explanation. Power can make that difference, but not from this particular issue.

But if I had been there fighting for position and just got edged out again and again, I wouldn't consider ANY power gained outside the rules to be insignificant.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

My accountant sells audit insurance.  Maybe engine builders should sell tech insurance.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

If the power differences are truly insignificant then the runoff results should have stood, and this thread should have never been started. If the dyno charts after few major races showed that the cars are pretty much all equal, then the class would be a happier bunch, no one would protest, everyone's racing would become cheaper, and the engine builders would be out of business (Oops!). 

Again, the SCCA doesn't work like that.  If you are found non-compliant, you are disqualified.  Whether or not it adds a fraction of a HP. (why the cars found non-compliant weren't DQ'd vs. moved to last place is still a mystery to me that as far as I know the SCCA hasn't explained).

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

hf1

hf1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Again, the SCCA doesn't work like that.  If you are found non-compliant, you are disqualified.  Whether or not it adds a fraction of a HP. (why the cars found non-compliant weren't DQ'd vs. moved to last place is still a mystery to me that as far as I know the SCCA hasn't explained).

I understand. My assumption is that the rules exist with the ultimate goal of minimizing the differences between the cars and making the racing as much as possible about the drivers and as little as possible about the cars. What better way of proving that said goals have been achieved (or not) than going straight to the source of major inequality: HP/torque curves? 

Come to think of it, the more complicated (hence vague, and open to interpretation) the rules become, the better off the engine builders become as the ways of concocting "magical potions" which they can offer for top $$$ to vane yet rich racers only grow. There are infinite number of ways to combine 50 +/- tolerances, each satisfying the rules in a "compliant" car, but only a few combinations offering superior HP/torque curves. Assume a "compliant" car existed that showed +5hp across the rpm range. Only one shop knows how to get these +5hp in a compliant car and it charged $100k to do it. Would this be good for the class as a whole? I, for one, would like to know if I had lost to a guy with extra 5hp, tech compliance be damned. 

Compliance without equalized HP/torque curves is meaningless, especially in a "spec" class. 

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

hf1, I strayed from my own point to which you responded. In the dyno scenario I suspect that some guys who are (to pick a number) 1 second per minute of lap time off the pace would be disappointed to know that they are down relatively little power. So either they assume that much power makes a 1 second difference or they understand that it is just one of many factors, and in this class, one of the smaller. But I will always come back to admitting that in such a low power class it is also the easiest gain to apply, so keeping it (or at least the potential for it) equal is important. It absolutely matters, just don't delude yourself into thinking it is the main reason a lot of guys are much faster because then you stop looking for all the other areas to improve.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Compliance without equalized HP/torque curves is meaningless, especially in a "spec" class. 

You, we and I can lobby the CRB for whatever rules we all think are best.  Parts specifications, HP/TQ curves, whatever.  But smart people will work within the rules to build a better mousetrap.  It always happens.  Heck, I bet I even know how to manipulate dynos to a wider HP margin then magically producing a motor with all the optimum specs between the different builders.  And I know there are people out there smarter and more experienced than me at this.

Short of a entirely sealed package (which has some pitfalls also), the racers with money, time and experience will always gain advantage.  That is the way racing works.  We can do our best to limit creativity, but there are some very smart people out there.  Today though, the cars and engine packages from the major builders are as close as I ever have seen.  Leaps and bounds ahead when I started in 2004.

To me, what happened in Laguna is a minor hiccup.  Things like that happen.  Sometimes builders read and apply the rules differently than the SCCA does at the time which results in a DQ.  It's happened in the past and I am sure it will happen again.  Hell, even mutli-million dollar F1 teams get caught mis-interpreting rules and get a re-alignment.

For me, what we have, SM, is pretty damn good.  No overhaul to the class is needed just another tweak (and I am sure more in the future to follow) to the ruleset to either 1) make compliant the heads seen in Laguna, or 2) be more specific about not allow the blending.  Just need to decide (smart people) and add some clarity to the rules and move forward.

Tomorrow it might be something else that is written a little fuzzy in the rulebook that is the hot topic.

• Sacslider and FTodaro like this

James York

sponsored by:

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

hf1

hf1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

You can lobby the CRB for whatever rules you think are best.  Parts specifications, HP/TQ curves, whatever.  Smart people will work within the rules to build a better mousetrap.  It always happens.  Heck, I bet I even know how to manipulate dyno's to a wider margin then magically producing a motor with all the optimum specs between the different builders.  And I know there are people out there smarter and more experienced than me at this.

I admit that my mechanical knowledge is limited to changing pads, rotors, and fluids, so cannot argue with you on this. 

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

I admit that my mechanical knowledge is limited to changing pads, rotors, and fluids, so cannot argue with you on this. 

I guess it all depends on what we think the window is out there between the builders.  I think small. (<3hp)  Others may think differently.

And yes, I for sure would rather have the motor from the builder that was +3, obviously.

And I am talking about just motors.  There is a lot more to making your car move quickly than just the lump under the hood.

• Jim Daniels - FIG likes this

James York

sponsored by: