• Please log in to reply
535 replies to this topic

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
I think he means free-hand removal, not just the plunge, but to the same depth limit. As with the original rule the idea is to makes 1.6 heads more consistent, but in reality it would likely introduce bigger difference than we have now because only someone with access to a flow bench, skill in porting, and a pile of heads will get the best result.
  • Jim Drago likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

There are two styles of transmissions all are same gearing and all are 5 speed but the boxes look different in those early na cars.

You can also run either in your car without modifications

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

At Fontana this year(I assume its similar to Daytona :) ), there were several early chassis cars with good drivers. Mark can correct me if I'm wrong but all the gains he could make on the infield were lost on the high bank if he did not have a partner. I dont think the aero advantage the NB chassis seems to have can be changed on these type of tracks. Even with the 200rpm advantage of the 1.6, will be of no benefit if it cant get there without help. Above 110mph I dont think anyone can discount the difference that occurs when the NA and NB are running alone. 

That said...the guys who figure out which combination(NA/NB/NB2-pushing or pulling) of 2 top prepped cars works best TOGETHER will be on top next year :guinness: (maybe i should include the NC?? :noidea: )

Want to really mess with the crowd and plans...allow no pushing or drafting in 2015 :duck: NASCAR did it!  

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Ron that is typical of any roval, you can make gains on iinfield in any car and not be able to hold on to that  gain if the ones chasing you are drafting the oval.

I finished p3 at MIS majors 2 seasons ago, I was runnign alone making my gains on the infield only to watch them disapear on the oval as p1-p2 were drafting the oval every lap.  I got close at one time on the infield but got taken off into the grass by a lapper.  Had I caught them I had somethign for them but its a tough tough task to beat a good two car draft  on any oval and you will never do it at Daytona which uses 3/4 of the nascar oval.

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

You made my point Kyle. But there is a 2 car combination that will work best! Bottom line is you can't help the NA with aero by itself...I think?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

that may be. but a 1.6 with a 01 behind it would be pretty damn ideal IMO... 

• Danica Davison likes this

K. Webb

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Why isn't racing seen as a fit man's sport, or better asked, why are we not rewarding the really fit guys?  Hey, when I hit 40, the bowls of ice cream had to leave the diet and I'm happy to say that yesterday's half marathon was done 15 minutes faster than the one I did two years ago.  Still way off the pace I want, but we're getting there.  Too bad lbs seem to come with wisdom for most.  

^^ This!  If I could make one rule change, it'd be to go back to the original weights for the class.  It isn't my problem if you are overweight and don't want to get in shape(*).  Just like it isn't your problem if you want to buy stickers, do setup work, test-n-tune days, put your car on the dyno, etc. before every race and I don't/can't do the same.  Stop punishing me for your lack of commitment to yourself (which frankly is way more important than all the time and energy you are spending on your car as far as your health and longevity are concerned.)  Of course it isn't realistic that this rule will ever change.

> Light flywheel best?

Downhill.  A lighter flywheel's advantage is due to inertial gains.  It will accelerate faster downhill, hence the greater gain.  That's is why 2nd gear (in addition to the greater mechanical advantage of the gearing) buys you more than 3rd. etc.  WRT where it'd help most at MMP: there are two 2nd gear turns where you are between 6,000 and 6,400 RPMs.  Both follow with an upshift to 3rd (and one has a shift to 4th).  (One other 3rd gear corner at ~4600 that leads onto a long straight.)  Relatively flat track.

> DD's multiple classes

Horrible idea.  Just two of the many reasons why: 1) The whole point of SM is large fields.  Now you'd be back to small fields and what do you do when all of a sudden you have a SMA car running between two SMC cars?  Racing out of class sucks for all involved. 2) It'd totally hose contingency for smaller regions.  One of the big benefits of running Toyos in NASA was the promise that the contingency would go deep into the field...as long as you had large fields.  Not going to happen with 4+ classes.

> What would it take to get 1.6's back out?

I hate to say it, but Jim is probably right.  Why would you run a 1.6 all else being equal?  Who wouldn't want to be in a newer car if it cost the same to build?  Why would you want to turn a 1.6 into a pseudo NB?  It isn't like NB chassis are all that expensive when you compare it to the budget for a full year of  (serious) racing and/or the cost of doing a conversion. It'd also not be right to make the 1.6 an overdog to just get them back out.  All that would happen is that all the top drivers would stop running their 99/01's and switch to 1.6's.  The 1.6's may or may not come back out and if they did and dominated, we'd have all the 99/01's bitching up a storm and would stop coming out.  (The 1.8's would still be red-headed stepchildren and relegated to the corner with no dessert ;) ).  What would we have accomplished?  Nothing.  You also have to look from a practical standpoint of how much longer will Mazda support the 1.6?  I already have parts I can no longer get (via Mazdaspeed or elsewhere.)  It is only going to get worse.  IMO, energy would be better spent on the future of the class (NC's and ND's) rather than worrying about the past.

> torque on track

NASA already uses TraqMates to check performance.  Cheap, simple, and it's the same damn thing we use to check our own performance (though brands may vary.)

* Perhaps you are in the very small percentage of people who do work out, eat well, etc. and just happen to have a 200+ lbs body.  Well life isn't fair.   It's just annoying that we choose to use the lowest common denominator for one aspect of our rules and the highest common denominator for just about every other aspect.

• Alberto likes this

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

I think we need to go back the good old days when I started in 2010, we were 2050 and had a bigger hole in our RP... I would go for that tomorrow 

K. Webb

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

So is there anyone from the 1.6 camp that will post what rule adjustments they want for 2015?  I think you have to confine the suggestion to weight and plate adjustments only.  Anything else will likely require a longer period of evaluation and probably should be submitted by a group to both NASA and SCCA.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

sean

sean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:94

NA 1.8 bigger plate. Leave everything else the same.

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45
I think we should give the 1.8 guys a diff. RP or adjust weight to help them out.

I think the 1.6 guys need help in the TQ area to help out of the corners.

Leave the rest of the cars as is.

I hate the mind set of trying to slow the rest of the group for 1 or 2 gen cars. Hell we all want to go faster not slower !

Just my opinion ! :)
  • Alberto and sean like this
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

> DD's multiple classes

Horrible idea.  Just two of the many reasons why: 1) The whole point of SM is large fields.  Now you'd be back to small fields and what do you do when all of a sudden you have a SMA car running between two SMC cars?  Racing out of class sucks for all involved. 2) It'd totally hose contingency for smaller regions.  One of the big benefits of running Toyos in NASA was the promise that the contingency would go deep into the field...as long as you had large fields.  Not going to happen with 4+ classes.

Thank you for including some positive info.

> What would it take to get 1.6's back out?

If there were no new 1.6's built and some inhancements were given to the 1.6 that they could equally play with teh 99 plus below 5,000 RPM that would be one hell of a start.

> torque on track

NASA already uses TraqMates to check performance.  Cheap, simple, and it's the same damn thing we use to check our own performance (though brands may vary.)

Thank you for the torque comment. I had read that a Greg IIRC tested some stuff a couple/few years ago that did not provide factual info as desired. Does the TraqMate GPS provide accecptable, accuracy and repeatability?

* Perhaps you are in the very small percentage of people who do work out, eat well, etc. and just happen to have a 200+ lbs body.  Well life isn't fair.   It's just annoying that we choose to use the lowest common denominator for one aspect of our rules and the highest common denominator for just about every other aspect.

Totally understand what your saying, have lost  21 pounds since license physical early March.

So is there anyone from the 1.6 camp that will post what rule adjustments they want for 2015?  I think you have to confine the suggestion to weight and plate adjustments only.  Anything else will likely require a longer period of evaluation and probably should be submitted by a group to both NASA and SCCA.  

Tom, I would like to beleive the engine builders could throw down some torque enhancements below 5,000 RPM for the 1.6 right now. I could make a list, but the engine builders would be doing a much more knowledgeable list. And if the peek and top end went out of bounds, add some fat. Down low is where the 1.6 needs the get up and go.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

I think we should give the 1.8 guys a diff. RP or adjust weight to help them out.

I think the 1.6 guys need help in the TQ area to help out of the corners.

Leave the rest of the cars as is.

I hate the mind set of trying to slow the rest of the group for 1 or 2 gen cars. Hell we all want to go faster not slower !

Just my opinion ! :)

I also think we should make a rule that 1.6 guys can remove all stereo equipment from their cars in order to be able to go faster off the corners.

• B(Kuch)Kucera45 likes this

K. Webb