Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

this maybe crazy and off base, but when you write into the CRB to ask for something shouldnt you know how to get what your asking for?

If I ask for more torq, shouldnt I know how much I am asking for and by which means we would like to have that happen?

I dont think the CRB's job is to go do all kinds of testing to find the answers they should take data from your independant testing and look it over and if it makes good sense for the class then maybe they do some testing and come to a conclusion.

If the CRB started testing on every subject they get a letter on they couldnt hold down their day jobs.  

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

1.6 stay the same, just go back to the NASA rules from 3 years ago, that was fairly close, I could live with it, even though a 99 kicked butt at Mid Ohio.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79
I agree with Jim, if I was building a new car I would also build a 99 and Up.  But there are hundreds that have 1.6 cars and are not interested in building  new cars. 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Thank you for the torque comment. I had read that a Greg IIRC tested some stuff a couple/few years ago that did not provide factual info as desired. Does the TraqMate GPS provide accecptable, accuracy and repeatability?

I use Race Techology's DL-1, so I cannot comment on TM, but one would have to assume they are pretty similar as far as GPS+accelerometers go.  Mine is generally within a couple of hundredths of the transponder's times.  (I would imagine the difference is between where I think the timing loop is, and where it actually is under the surface of the track.  I just use the satellite map feature and draw the track marker over the start/finish line.)  So yes it tracks acceleration very accurately.  If you mean can you then use the software to provide meaningful hp/trq numbers?  Dunno.  Their built in formulas are way off, but that isn't how you use them.  You use them to compare cars and look for outliers and for this purpose they should be really accurate/precise.

P.S. The way you are replying within quoted text totally messes up the forum's 'quote' option to reply.  I had to manually edit this post to get your text in.

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Based on every previous time this was offered up, the 1.6 community does not want to do anything that will cost them money. They only want to slow the other cars, not make themselves faster. They turned down the $300 subframe upgrade by using fuzzy math to come up with $3000 costs. they turned down the flywheel years ago. They also complain they can not make weight, so lowering the minimum wieght goes against their thought process.

Just my experience from when I was on the SMAC and we offered help to the NA cars

Dave

True, I get a lot of "It's cool I can get one for $8K, change the oil and sell if I want for the same in a couple years"

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

Based on every previous time this was offered up, the 1.6 community does not want to do anything that will cost them money. They only want to slow the other cars, not make themselves faster. They turned down the $300 subframe upgrade by using fuzzy math to come up with $3000 costs. they turned down the flywheel years ago. They also complain they can not make weight, so lowering the minimum wieght goes against their thought process.

Just my experience from when I was on the SMAC and we offered help to the NA cars

Dave

I'd spend a couple of bucks to gain some torque.  Would make driving my 1.6 easier.  However, I'm not a Miata expert so have no clue what parts would accomplish that.  Header?  Flywheel?  1.8 swap?  

I don't know how the $300 subframe would help this scenario.  The hardest part of racing the 1.6 NA is the lack of torque.  I have not experienced any issues with bumpsteer or whatever else the subframes would purportedly net me.  There aren't many NBs being parted on the local CL so not sure how I'd get my hands on a set of subframes and control arms for that price.  On the other hand, I can buy an entire NA for under a few hundred $ - $1k once a month or so.   

There's a reason the front runners were running a 2001+ car at Laguna - torque.  The straights are uphill and you exit most corners low in the RPM range.  The 1.6 gets slaughtered comparatively.  I don't understand how rules will fix that disparity.  The 99-00 seems to provide a better balance of torque and higher RPM power than the 01+ car from what I've seen on dyno sheets so it's a better compromise for a wide range of tracks.  

All of the above is kinda irrelevant anyway.  Racing a 1.6 against an NB in a Nationals race is like pissing in the wind; bringing a knife to a gun fight; <insert your favorite saying here>.  1.6 cars are Regional racing only cars.  

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

So is there anyone from the 1.6 camp that will post what rule adjustments they want for 2015?  I think you have to confine the suggestion to weight and plate adjustments only.  Anything else will likely require a longer period of evaluation and probably should be submitted by a group to both NASA and SCCA.  

As mentioned above, at this point most drivers in the 1.6 camp are regional racers and don't really care about racing Nationals.  If I had a recommendation to make, I'd make it but that is not my area of expertise.  Since rules are written focusing on National level racing, you find too many people w/ 1.6 commenting since none of them race Nationals.  Whether intentional or not, my perception is that the people making the rules don't really seem to care about Regional racers.  No disrespect intended.  It just doesn't seem to be a factor in the decision making process if/when the rules are focused at getting parity at the level where everyone is willing to spend bucket loads of money to achieve theoretical parity.

Parity might be close right now but the 1.6 is still the underdog.  It'll never have the torque to be truly on parity.  If it could, you might see them at Nationals races but realistically you won't.  I speculate it's cheaper and easier to build a Nationally competitive NB car than an NA car.

On another note, None of this would address the issue at the Runoffs.  I think one of the issues to be addressed is the ability to check one's compliance pro-actively rather than only after a protest at the last race of the year.  Either by someone providing a tool or someone having a local inspector check their parts and consult an advisory committee.  Seems like such a shame that so many people invested so much time and money over the year only to be foiled at the end.  If I were going to race Nationals, I'd be pro active about getting my stuff checked.  I wouldn't want to risk spending that much money and time to risk a DQ

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92

I seem to recall many of us wanting a lighter flywheel years ago, and it getting poo-pooed by the SMAC/CRB.

Unfortunately, when we were discussing the suspension upgrade, those who didn't want it were able to out letter write those who did. Short-sighted IMO.

Anyway, I'd like to see a lighter flywheel for the 1.6. It's a relatively cheap and easy change compared to compression, stand alone ECU, etc that we wont get anyway.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Just saying, making the statement to be clear, correct me if I'm wrong...

The rules are set based on a top driver, with very little devopement needed and a top car from each, NA, NB, etc with no developement needed.

Basicly "maxed out"

Because if you and/or your car needs development and the rules changed to your favor and then you get the devolpment, you may be ahead.

Just something to think about.

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Please stop asking for a lighter flywheel. 😒 It will have a marginal effect in 2nd gear, less in 3rd, zip in 4th, and still less anytime you are climbing even a small hill. No matter how cheap it is, it would be nothing more than an ineffective pacifier at many tracks and reduce any slim chance of meaningful changes.
  • Jaime Florence likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92

What then?

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Don't discourage partispation. The input is good.

None of these suggestion may happen and the rules stay the same, IDK.

J~

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

IIRC, the proposal for a light flywheel was 50-50 for-against and voted down by the SMAC and CRB

IIRC, the proposal for allowing upgraded suspension was 80-20 against allowing the upgrade. Although the SMAC was virtually unanimous in favor, we followed the official voting. If your car handles better and you can corner 3mph faster, you will lower your lap time by about 1 second. With no other changes. Maybe you don't need torque, just corner speed????

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
👍 I'm all about participation and input, but some of my input is intended to nudge things in a good direction, or at least away from a bad one. I understand why so many people bring up lighter flywheels, they can be great for things like drag racing and autocrossing where the engine is in low gears and accelerates quickly. But when the issue is raised it is important to point out the limitations before a flood of letters are written by well meaning people without all the facts.
  • Jim Drago likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

IIRC, the proposal for a light flywheel was 50-50 for-against and voted down by the SMAC and CRB

IIRC, the proposal for allowing upgraded suspension was 80-20 against allowing the upgrade. Although the SMAC was virtually unanimous in favor, we followed the official voting. If your car handles better and you can corner 3mph faster, you will lower your lap time by about 1 second. With no other changes. Maybe you don't need torque, just corner speed????

Dave

Ahhh, I see...  Myself, I would definitely benefit more from torque.  That is an obvious deficit in the cars I race against.  I don't notice the corner speed being as much of an issue.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Ya Steve !!! :moon:

:rotfl:

Just trying to keep an open mind. B)

J~

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

And that after I did all I could to kill it last time! I'm obviously not very convincing when I exercise tact. 😕

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

And that after I did all I could to kill it last time! I'm obviously not very convincing when I exercise tact.

Just for the record since you're right in the middle of this.

You own a SM, you have a current lic, and you raced this year and will race next year ??

Just asking.

J~

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45

Dave

Dave,what good is an extra 3mph corner speed in a corner with traffic none!
That is the problem,the 1.6 is fine by its self but when in traffic sucks. When Todd ran the 1.6 in the runoffs you can plain as day see we're the 1.6 is bad. He was in the top 5 and the only reason he was there for awhile was because he was pushed down every straight. If he didn't have help he would have never finished in the top 10 and he is one of the best out there. So how much more data or proof do they need ?
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Region:ATL
  • Car Number:49

Dave,what good is an extra 3mph corner speed in a corner with traffic none!
That is the problem,the 1.6 is fine by its self but when in traffic sucks. When Todd ran the 1.6 in the runoffs you can plain as day see we're the 1.6 is bad. He was in the top 5 and the only reason he was there for awhile was because he was pushed down every straight. If he didn't have help he would have never finished in the top 10 and he is one of the best out there. So how much more data or proof do they need ?

+1

The 1.6 is already faster in the corners.

I drove a 1.6 in the SE reasonably competitively for 6 years and to have any hope of staying in the '99's draft, I had to gap the leading car exactly on corner entry so that I was on his (her) bumper when we both went flat at exit. Nearly impossible for me at lest to get this right lap after lap. Enter on a '99's bumper and you lose the 1.6 cornering advantage and get left in the drag race on the next straight. I was the lone 1.6 under the OPM tent for the last couple of year so I've looked at a lot of '99 data. When comparing TBL laps with well driven '99's I was consistently 2 mph faster in every turn but would still finish mid-pack.  Whether the inability to do it lap after lap was due to poor race craft or car is debatable but after 6 years I threw in the towel.

1.6 needs torque between 4 - 6 K RPM. Flywheel will not work for reasons above. Cam?

• B(Kuch)Kucera45, Danny Steyn and Mike Babcock like this

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

2016 SARRC SM ECR Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users