• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Jim, did the Whitelines require any resizing of the center hole for the sleeve?  Is it a good fit, no slop but not tight?

I'd welcome a slot rule for the rears as well, and I think it is entirely consistent with the intent of the class, easy DIY, near zero cost and saves money. 

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I'd welcome a slot rule for the rears as well, and I think it is entirely consistent with the intent of the class, easy DIY, near zero cost and saves money. 

I will start a petition lol.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I will start a petition lol.

Sure you can take the pressure Frank? :)

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Picture of the tool I made similar to the one in the ISC instructions.  A slotted piece of 1/2"aluminum and a strip of quality 100 grit sandpaper folded lengthwise and long enough to go around the shaft a couple times (three times might have been better).  With a drill and a little careful work I was able to open up the tight end enough for a smooth fit without any slop.  Then I drilled and tapped for 1/4-20 set screws and installed those and the grease fittings.

I think the end result will work very well but would probably recommend the Whitelines to the typical DIY type unless they enjoy having to modify things before installing them. Since I was able to get these quickly, I'm pleased enough.

1_30_12_14_10_02_00.jpg

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Can you use the metal tube from the OEM bushing or it's molded on an a PITA to get ??

Or it come with it but doesn't fit that well ??

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
The original is too big. These come with a sleeve, but the hole for it is (at least on the first four I installed) too small from about the middle out even before pressing the bushing into the arm, and they are not very consistent. The ISC instructions do mention it is common but he's obviously tired of taking calls on it and now says to "just install them as-is and go have fun". That's when I decided to trust my judgement over his.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Steve thanks for sharing. What are the Grease fittings lubricating? do they go all the way to the inner hole for the main bolt? we do not want to lubricate the bushing in the arm.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Number:51

The purpose of these bushings is to give "enough camber". Obviously setups vary and are guarded secrets by many, but is there a general consensus as to what "enough camber" is?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
The hole for the grease fitting is drilled before inserting the sleeve and in theory lubricates the bushing/sleeve surfaces. I'm not sure how much can really get in there but that may be why he opens one end up more than the other. Again, crude. I'd like to see a center groove and maybe a few radial ones out from that to hold a little grease, but this is essentially a homemade product.

The sleeve is pinched tight between the su-frame and large stock washers, so it does not rotate on the bolt, but a little lube on the bolt might prevent corrosion.

Enough camber (potential) is probably a bit over -3, not that you always run that much on both sides at all tracks. You quickly get to the point where braking suffers even if tire temps and wear don't indicate you have too much. But I'd like to hear from others as well because I've never had the luxury of too much without also running the ride height too low.

Chris D.

Chris D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:SM #40

I just ordered the Whiteline version....simply based on the fact that their website was cooler.   :noidea:    $72 out the door.   4-8 week back order though.    :sleep:

I see some reference in this thread that the Whiteline version = Mazdaspeed version....is this known to be true?   Are we looking at two available flavors out there or three?

Chris Dilluvio

Farmington Hills, MI

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

I just ordered the Whiteline version....simply based on the fact that their website was cooler.   :noidea:    $72 out the door.   4-8 week back order though.    :sleep:

I see some reference in this thread that the Whiteline version = Mazdaspeed version....is this known to be true?   Are we looking at two available flavors out there or three?

If someone measured them and posted the dimensions here, any machine shop could make it.
If it 2" O.D it's $17.53 a foot Plus the tube
http://www.mcmaster....er-rods/=v9kkkk

If you can't wait or a DIY'er

J~

• mellen likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

This will be up as a Race Memo on Monday.  It is a clarification of the bushing rule to further define what you can use.

For camber adjustment only - inner suspension bushings, on the front upper control arms, may be replaced with non-metallic offset bushings. The bushings may use metal (inner and/or outer) sleeve(s).  Material and design must be the same in all four positions.  The control arm may be modified to allow for pinning the bushing to prevent rotation.  Spherical bearings are not allowed

• john mueller and B(Kuch)Kucera45 like this

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

This will be up as a Race Memo on Monday.  It is a clarification of the bushing rule to further define what you can use.

For camber adjustment only - inner suspension bushings, on the front upper control arms, may be replaced with non-metallic offset bushings. The bushings may use metal (inner and/or outer) sleeve(s).  Material and design must be the same in all four positions.  The control arm may be modified to allow for pinning the bushing to prevent rotation.  Spherical bearings are not allowed

NASA will be onboard with this wording as well.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Question for those that have played with the two different bushings, WhiteLine/soft and ISC/hard. Understand the difference betwen the function of soft or hard bushing. Might the soft bushing conform more concentrically to each other if one used a threaded tool as Steve posted (a tool that slip fit the steel sleeve inside diameter) and both bushings dimensionally pulled into the control arm equally. Some ifs and buts, I understand. 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

Race memo is up 

http://scca.cdn.race...ts/rm 15-01.pdf

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Close enough for honest people.

DionJ

DionJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:68

I can see binding, and wear issues happening with offset bushings. Since the harder bushings don't have much angular compliance it would be wise to insert the long bolt before final assembly to be sure both bushings are on the same vector.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

We put the whitelines on all our cars and were easily able to get 3.5 plus degrees on the front with normal ride heights ( 4 5/8) at pinch weld

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I can see binding, and wear issues happening with offset bushings. Since the harder bushings don't have much angular compliance it would be wise to insert the long bolt before final assembly to be sure both bushings are on the same vector.

Angular compliance, vector?? Is that surfing lingo? :)

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DionJ

DionJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:68

Yep, surf lingo dood. I was gonna say plane but that sounded so two dimensional. My old 510 has urethane binding issues in a similar application but 2 separate bolts which probably makes the problem worse.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users