• Please log in to reply
390 replies to this topic

Weekend Warrior

Weekend Warrior

Racing to Cure ALS

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Here is why SSM works so well in the DC Region. There is one individual that seals the cars, this year and hopefully many more it is me. I am the benevolent dictator Rob speaks of. I consult with many knowledgeable builders and racers, past and present (Jim Thill, Mike Collins, Bret DePedro, Chris Windsor and many more) and I make a decision. We don't change the rules unless we need to create better compliance. We don't try to fix a problem that doesn't exist. It works! If your car comes to us to be sealed and there is something amiss, it doesn't get sealed, period. Based on constantly increasing car counts, this system works.

The reason SSM doesn't work in other regions is because other regions want to change the rules...

If you want SSM in your region, copy and paste our rules and our "administrative rules". Don't make stupid changes, keep it consistent. Nobody wants to spend new money every year for the "new" rule change... we saw that this year. You then have to find some idiot that will enforce the rules and possibly make someone upset. Find a person that will commit to lots of time with no pay (it will actually cost them much). I personally have devoted a minimum of 100 hours to making sure the system works so far this season alone. Find someone that doesn't have any special allegiances to any particular race shop.

We have had 40+ cars at each home event so far this year. I know this number will increase as I have just sealed 3 new cars to SSM in the past 2 weeks and have 2 more cars (that I know of) coming up to be sealed in the next 2 weeks.

If you want to contact me, give me call as I usually don't have the time to write stuff and rarely come on here anymore since I lost interest in SM 4 years ago.

Regards,
Alan

PS. Someone made a comment (not sure who it was and don't have the time to re-read all these comments) about our spark plug rule being optional to the shop that seals the cars. I take offense to this comment as I am the one sealing these cars. If you know something I don't, please enlighten me. I personally have changed spark plugs on at least 40 cars this year. If this is an insinuation that I have done this, state the case!
  • wreckerboy and Danny Steyn like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

PS. Someone made a comment (not sure who it was and don't have the time to re-read all these comments) about our spark plug rule being optional to the shop that seals the cars. I take offense to this comment as I am the one sealing these cars. If you know something I don't, please enlighten me. I personally have changed spark plugs on at least 40 cars this year. If this is an insinuation that I have done this, state the case!

The someone was me, referring to one of the shops sealing and racing before you started running the show.. They had the wrong plugs in their car and weren't Dq'ed bc "it would ruin their chance at the championship and it was just an honest mistake"   but you knew this?  :) Just poking a little fun

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

wreckerboy

wreckerboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:NJ
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:53
Jim, if you are referring to the incident I'm thinking of, some clarification:

1. Previously vehicles were only inspected and sealed at one of two shops: RP Performane and Ed York's.*
2. Sealing tape and/or wire is and was applied to AFMs and valve covers.
3. Plugs and wires, although specified, were not physically sealed.
4. The incorrect plug situation, at least the one that I'm aware of, was found at post-race impound, where we are typically asked to show the seals, pull plugs, and show air filters and wires.
5. Again, based upon the one I am aware of, they weren't DQ'd, however they were moved back several spots, which lead to a debate about non compliant cars finishing in front of compliant cars.

* Both shops gave tirelessly of their time and energy to help the SSM program succeed and deserve all the thanks in the world for giving up time from their businesses to help.
Rob Myles | "I didn't lose, I got out-painted!"
Hero To The Momentum Challenged
WDCR SSM #30

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Kudos to THE SSM benevolent dictator. :thumbsup:

A great example for a class that was very good scattered across regions was the Spec7/IT7 other than the class was bastardized (different rules) by several regions. Co-mingling didn't work well. Enjoyed last year at the ARRC, maybe 6 IT7 cars and they had a blast. IIRC only 1 guy was youngish, under 50 and 5 of the 6 cars had been around a while.

David

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

As I said in my notes earlier, for something like SSM to succeed, you need your leaders. People that are NOT selfish, will give of their time, money and effort, for the good of the class, and put the class ahead of their own personal racing agenda. With these generous people, anything is possible, so hats off to those individuals that made SSM in the DC area into such a success.

So to those that are interested in seeing a lower cost version of SM take hold in their areas, are you the person to champion the cause, or do you know someone who has the time and energy? 

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

Kudos to THE SSM benevolent dictator. :thumbsup:

A great example for a class that was very good scattered across regions was the Spec7/IT7 other than the class was bastardized (different rules) by several regions. Co-mingling didn't work well. Enjoyed last year at the ARRC, maybe 6 IT7 cars and they had a blast. IIRC only 1 guy was youngish, under 50 and 5 of the 6 cars had been around a while.

David

*reaches for the bucket of cold water*

A dictator, benevolent or not, is not the way of the SCCA (I'm a poet and all that).  Dictatorships can be readily found within other organizations and they have their benefits as well as detractions and we get to pick & choose to participate.  I'd be more inclined to refer to Alan as DCR's "Benevolent Enforcer" rather than anything else.

I know it's devolving into a procedural or semantic debate but what DCR has accomplished is to define a regional "Class Compliance Chief".  As National is always wont to say, regions can operate however they wish within the boundaries National proscribes and it's up to those 'regional participants' to express approval or not with what's being done.

As participants in this (SSM) class are regularly noting, participation is strong so there must be something being done right for them to return and continue paying their entry fees.

With that in mind, I'm pretty certain you will never see an SSM proposal approved at a national level. You will probably get a response from the CRB/BOD similar to '...regions are free to implement whatever classes or race series they wish without any direction or input from the National Office...'  Absent someone in each region (or partner regions if more than one) being this "SSM CCC" there won't be a successful endeavor for folks who feel uncompetitive in current SM.

I wish any region luck in pursuing their own interpretation but I want to make sure expectations are realistic for folks clamoring for a "National SSM" designation.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Which kind of brings be back to this issue, is that at the regional level SM competition is pretty good in the Great Lakes region.

Our regional races and the competition in them is doing well. Attendance is somewhat track dependent. We have good results at Mid-Ohio smaller fields at Gingerman, Gratten. Except for a few drivers with lots of local experience i would say Regional SM is pretty competitive, well matched and reasonably priced.

I guess i am trying to work out in my own mind if an SSM class in our Division would be worthwhile, or if its needed.

As with the entire parity debate as it relates to the 1.6, I do not hear complaints from guys who race regionally, All the complaints, if you will, are from drivers who are trying to compete at the Majors with a 1.6.

The regional guys, have their hands full just trying to get their feet wet and figuring out driving and how to set up the car. So Changing the rules for these guys is not going to drive participation IMO.

To me running SM in regional competition were there is no sealing program and so on, is the least expensive program going.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

The regional guys, have their hands full just trying to get their feet wet and figuring out driving and how to set up the car.

Most of the regional drivers in the GL Div have been racing SM for years. They are not newbies getting their feet wet.

Here's what sucks: being a regional driver in a regional car competing against "bells and whistles", Majors-level cars that also happen to enter regional events.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Most of the regional drivers in the GL Div have been racing SM for years. They are not newbies getting their feet wet.

Here's what sucks: being a regional driver in a regional car competing against "bells and whistles", Majors-level cars that also happen to enter regional events.

"most" I am not ever sure if i agree with "many". There are 5 or 6 people at mid O and a hand full at other GLD tracks that are local talent, who enjoy racing regionally, 

Why does it suck to race against someone who may have a few more things figured out?, it makes you better does it not. I can think of a few guys who keep getting better and better coming up, a guy who just won his first race at the NCM for example, steady healthy progress is what i see.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Sometimes those "Regional only cars" haul ass ....aahhmmm :)

• Jim Drago likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Brandon, cold water to you. The words "benevolent dictator" were Alan's choice of words to which I obviously agree.  It would be quite obvious this communication (previous to your national comments) is regional level as was/is the Spec7/IT7 class. Point being, if the communication of the Spec7/IT7 or the SSM class regions wanted to go national requires just that, a national solid rule set that shall be followed just as the benevolent dictator's rules (Alan's) are followed within the DC region.

Ron, in fact this past weekend at the Farm their was a 1.6 that raced well with a 99 or so Majors racer. Oh, did a forget to mentioned the 1.6er was a lady more commonly known as Sam. The 99 or so prevailed, but it was a great race.

Frank, I as a 1.6er don't have the talent to race at the Major's level, along with many 1.6 racers would like an improvement for the 1.6. Doesn't mean I don't understand the 1.6 shortfall and I as a driver have no intents to race Majors events. Even the SMAC is open to an improvement for the 1.6. Please get out of the "fight the 1.6 crowd" or "the 1.6 crowd is ok as is", it'll be an improvement in car counts. < Did ya see how I didn't specify Regional or Majors car count. :bigsquaregrin:  

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Alan's last rule change.
https://www.youtube....h?v=DbsEDVaPTCY

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Why does it suck to race against someone who may have a few more things figured out?,

Frank, let's get real. Figured out or willing to spend vast sums? My homebuilt 1.6 is not competitive against, will NEVER be competitive against, a brand new pro-built NB car. I can name several drivers that I ran with until they bought a new car and then they disappeared into the sunset.

Even if I had the budget to buy the best (which I don't) I wouldn't because this is a hobby to me and there is a limit to the value I receive from this hobby.

If some of us would prefer a low-cost version why is that a problem?

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Frank, let's get real. Figured out or willing to spend vast sums? My homebuilt 1.6 is not competitive against, will NEVER be competitive against, a brand new pro-built NB car. I can name several drivers that I ran with until they bought a new car and then they disappeared into the sunset.

Even if I had the budget to buy the best (which I don't) I wouldn't because this is a hobby to me and there is a limit to the value I receive from this hobby.

If some of us would prefer a low-cost version why is that a problem?

Hard to argue with the post..

The flip side is what about those who want to race with the NB cars? They need to spend whether they stay in 1.6 or buy a NB.  If we all go to 1.6 tomorrow it wouldn't be cheap anymore either.  

It also appears that outside a VERY few areas of the country, regionals are dying out?  Hell racing seems to be dying out.  I don't have a solution, just pointing out we are combating a few different problems at once and I can't see any one solution fixing them all? 

• Steve Scheifler likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Dead on Jim. The Great Lakes has a total of six, SIX!!!, regionals this year. We use to have twice that many. Meanwhile all is not sweetness and light in the Majors either.

No solutions here, but I don't think the SCCA will grow by having increasingly higher costs to participate.

I do have one idea - to attract the 18-24 y/o demographic the SCCA needs to find a way for them to be able to Instagram themselves during a race.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

I do have one idea - to attract the 18-24 y/o demographic the SCCA needs to find a way for them to be able to Instagram themselves during a race.

How's this doing in the area ?
http://www.tracknightinamerica.com/

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Dead on Jim. The Great Lakes has a total of six, SIX!!!, regionals this year. We use to have twice that many. Meanwhile all is not sweetness and light in the Majors either.

No solutions here, but I don't think the SCCA will grow by having increasingly higher costs to participate.

we used to have races in Memphis that would get 10-16 Sm, 17-25 at Gateway.. 25 plus at Hallett every race. Now we don't even have any races in Memphis, Gateway is 2-5 cars if that and hallett still our best race but nothing near what it was.  Total attendance is down..   Yet, when our division is basically all but dead, we appoint our area director as president of the club? It is bad enough we stayed within the old school SCCA for this position  to move the club forward. But I have no logical explanation as to why would choose the person who headed the weakest and failing division within our club?  

The club ABSOLUTELY needs some new direction and new ideas.. When I am still below the "average age:" at 48, we have an issue. We need to generate new members and keep them. We lose as many members as we gain yearly. Collins had some numbers and they were STAGGERING as to how many we lose yearly. 

If regional racing falls, it is the first block, majors and racing in general will be next. For the club and club racing to be successful we MUST have a healthy regional program. 

• Steve Scheifler likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Question relative to learning:

As great as Spec Miata racing is, can we learn anything from the overall car count reduction we've had within Spec Miata from the previous higher car counts?  For comparison to what's happening car count SCCA total. Relative to CenDiv races this year car count sucks. Other than the Sprints.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

As great as Spec Miata racing is, can we learn anything from the overall car count reduction we've had within Spec Miata from the previous higher car counts?  For comparison to what's happening car count SCCA total. Relative to CenDiv races this year car count sucks. Other than the Sprints.

I think there are a lot of moving parts that contribute to car counts from the "peak".  Economy, natural rise and fall in popularity, my personal favorite the" Majors".  It would be best if we looked at the SRF data over the same time period to see if there are correlations.   Is it region specific, is it Regional/Major specific, is it competition from competing organizations (in Texas NASA is kicking SCCA's A$$, it was not so when I started racing in 2010.

• Eric Orton likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I used to have all those numbers.. It seems the SM car count drop is in line with racing in club general..

If we could re-bottle exactly the same level of racing,parity and competition we have right now and cut the costs to 50% of what it costs now.. We would double to triple fields imo..  How do we get there is the question  :scratchchin:   

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users