MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

we used to have races in Memphis that would get 10-16 Sm, 17-25 at Gateway.. 25 plus at Hallett every race. Now we don't even have any races in Memphis, Gateway is 2-5 cars if that and hallett still our best race but nothing near what it was.  Total attendance is down..   Yet, when our division is basically all but dead, we appoint our area director as president of the club? It is bad enough we stayed within the old school SCCA for this position  to move the club forward. But I have no logical explanation as to why would choose the person who headed the weakest and failing division within our club?  

The club ABSOLUTELY needs some new direction and new ideas.. When I am still below the "average age:" at 48, we have an issue. We need to generate new members and keep them. We lose as many members as we gain yearly. Collins had some numbers and they were STAGGERING as to how many we lose yearly. 

If regional racing falls, it is the first block, majors and racing in general will be next. For the club and club racing to be successful we MUST have a healthy regional program. 

Jim is right on with this.  The SCCA runs off the younger people before they can experience the best the SCCA has to offer.  The Blue Hairs make it very unwelcome from a teenage standpoint.  A very talented young driver was just telling me how he thinks he may change to racing NASA because it seemed a better fit.  This isn't like me and the other nuts who will race anywhere anytime, with any organization.  This is the "customer" that pays the bills.  Without many of these  younger people joining and staying the organization may be in trouble.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Jim is dead on. The secret to car counts is attracting younger drivers to repopulate the aging racers that are exiting. But what would appeal to young drivers? Not sure, but I think I can guess a few things that turn them off.

1. Bureaucracy - Racing is rule intimidating by nature. Adding unnecessarily to that wont help.

2. Cost - Young people with money is an oxymoron. Young people with parents that have money is not.

3. Clunky use of technology and computer systems - Young people crave information. Racing is again fundamentally in opposition for information sharing. Young people are also more independent than when I was young. They expect that the information world is there for when they are ready to receive and integrate information. Take a look at the recent topics of discussion here. I have almost written a new post titled "I am bored" . Though constant discussions of parity might be interesting to a few, younger people are not as engaged by those conversation ( with the exception of Cresci :) ) . Young people expect to be able to learn how to become an expert on a subject by researching it on the internet in real time. Racing does not lend itself to sharing with others the secret to success. How many setup threads do you see? Race craft threads? Pro motor prepping? Data acquisition, tire inflation and temperature classes? Our conversations tend to revolve around parity and whos fault it was for an accident. How long does it take to post race results and points totals? A young person expects it to be almost real time, not a couple of days before the next event if you are lucky. What other ways have the organizations used social media to draw in young drivers? Motorsports registration and NASA's website registration are wonderful exceptions to this. If I really wanted to engage a younger crowd through the use of technology, I'd be sitting down with Brian Ghirdanelli to discuss it. He is tech savvy and young enough to understand the mystical mind of the youthful for those of us that have forgotten.

4. A lack of fun will drive off all but the extreme gear head.

Anyway, my two cents. I am not just casting stones. I am currently building a car specifically for young American drivers. I am trying to figure out how to engage youth and trying to figure out the economics of providing opportunities in a resource demanding sport like motorsports to a demographic without money. Not easy. But as with winning, you must first participate before you can expect to win.

• Jim Drago likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

I suppose the economy with slow growth in parts has nothing to do with it either. :)

Maybe a question I shouldn't be asking, but... :devil:

When we had our Majors before the runoffs we had a fully booked event at like 600+ cars, at like $700 a pop, How much did SCCA get ?

Not counting the double dippers.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

James

I agree on technology.. The stupidity of us having to STILL go through all the registration and tech lines at each event is absolutely inexcusable. There simply has to be a MUCH better way.  

All should be required to have a yearly hard card with waiver on file.. Logbooks should be electronic.. after you pass your yearly tech, unless your log book is flagged.. there should be no tech inspection.  

• MPR22 and Jamz14 like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

James

I agree on technology.. The stupidity of us having to STILL go through all the registration and tech lines at each event is absolutely inexcusable. There simply has to be a MUCH better way.  

All should be required to have a yearly hard card with waiver on file.. Logbooks should be electronic.. after you pass your yearly tech, unless your log book is flagged.. there should be no tech inspection.  

Have you raced NASA recently? Well, NASA Tx, I can't speak for others.  Logbooks aren't electronic, but....

That's exactly how it works.  I got teched in January, I got a 2015 sticker.  I register online, for both the test day and the weekend.  I drive to track, park unload, go to driver's meeting, drive, eat, sleep, sh*t, race, eat, sleep, sh*t, race, go home. 

Generally provisional results are posted on the timing and scoring FTP site within an hour or so (depending on incidents).   That said, official results and season points have been slow when the crew got busy with other things post-event. 

• Jamz14 likes this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

tburas56

tburas56

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:56

I raced my first NASA event this passed weekend at Sebring. 5 Races in one day and I am registered for the Championship Race at VIR. Everything took, including tech, 30 min. They got it figured out. Think of the cost saving to SCCA using technology, but maybe all the workers like to come to a SCCA weekend.

Donor - Made PayPal donation SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner - World Challenge Winner - World Challenge Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda - Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda MX5 Cup Winner - Has won a Race in the MX5Cup.com Series We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Brian also does a sign up any time and pay around the day of the event.

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Have you raced NASA recently? Well, NASA Tx, I can't speak for others.  Logbooks aren't electronic, but....

That's exactly how it works.  I got teched in January, I got a 2015 sticker.  I register online, for both the test day and the weekend.  I drive to track, park unload, go to driver's meeting, drive, eat, sleep, sh*t, race, eat, sleep, sh*t, race, go home. 

Generally provisional results are posted on the timing and scoring FTP site within an hour or so (depending on incidents).   That said, official results and season points have been slow when the crew got busy with other things post-event. 

I will say that Sidney has the SW stuff in SCCA better than anywhere else I have raced. Nola was the best SCCA registration/tech I have seen.

• Cnj, MPR22 and Danny Steyn like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

I raced my first NASA event this passed weekend at Sebring. 5 Races in one day and I am registered for the Championship Race at VIR. Everything took, including tech, 30 min. They got it figured out. Think of the cost saving to SCCA using technology, but maybe all the workers like to come to a SCCA weekend.

Exactly! On a Saturday with NASA, assuming that you already have your annual, you will have driven the first practice session and qualifying before you are required to see an official ( drivers meeting is the first mandatory interaction if registered on-line). At least this is the way it is with Socal. I'd bet it is similar across the country.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

How about cool phone apps. while you race ?

http://racercaster.com/

J~

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Exactly! On a Saturday with NASA, assuming that you already have your annual, you will have driven the first practice session and qualifying before you are required to see an official ( drivers meeting is the first mandatory interaction if registered on-line). At least this is the way it is with Socal. I'd bet it is similar across the country.

Same in texas:

Saturday: practice, qual, <SM drivers meeting>, race1 (25 min), race2 (25 min)

Sunday: practice, qual, race3 (50min)

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

How about cool phone apps. while you race ?

http://racercaster.com/

J~

Don't mind the idea, I find it really hard to see the flags at TWS...but, I didn't like idea of the "mandatory" part.  But, I'm instictively rebelious. 

-tch

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

You have to introduce the idea slowly.

1st, it doesn't work on this phone.
https://search.yahoo...p phone picture

After that, then you may say, how about the night race at Daytona?

Like boiling a frog.

J~

• Tom Hampton likes this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

You may wish you had it in the rain or fog or tracks that you just miss the flag station for whatever reason.

J~

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

1st, it doesn't work on this phone.
https://search.yahoo...p phone picture

J~

My new balast. 

Imma call racecaster tech support...."No, I don't have a wifi icon.  But, it makes this cool clicking sound when I dial '0'." 

-tch

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Have you tried the cord extension ?

J~

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Have you tried the cord extension ?

J~

Of course.  We do the same thing for wide-band datalinks on aircraft.  Works great!  Kinda like those electric tethered "remote control" airplanes I played with as a kid.  the cable is just longer. 

...now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

-tch

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Last time I was driving in the fog, I couldn't see a turn for my eating/peeing joint. Pulled to the road side, standing between the truck and trailer doing you know what and the vibrant blue and red flashing in  the fog told me to stop doing what I was doing. A brash young state trooper asked If I required any help, naw I put everything away and am good to go. He says, I could write you a ticket for something or another exposer, yep and I'll fight the ticket in court suggesting because of the fog you didn't see a thing and were purely guessing as to what I was doing. Officer, be care full driving in the fog. Thank you, have a nice day.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Can I nominate this thread for the "most meandering" award? 

• MPR22 and Jamz14 like this

-tch

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Can I nominate this thread for the "most meandering" award? 

Yes please do my Texas friend. But that is what happens when the peanut gallery becomes bored.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users