38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:38

For me there is two safe ways to pull off a start. 1. pace car turns in and haul ass. 2. pace car turns in and go to a crawl. playing in the middle can make a mess behind you. I am one who generally likes option 2. Option 1 can get you a wave off or a black flag. I have never got a wave off using option 2. 

• JRHille likes this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

For me there is two safe ways to pull off a start. 1. pace car turns in and haul ass. 2. pace car turns in and go to a crawl. playing in the middle can make a mess behind you. I am one who generally likes option 2. Option 1 can get you a wave off or a black flag. I have never got a wave off using option 2. 

I know this sounds utterly insane, but the front row could keep doing the pace the pace car set until the green comes out.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Number:29
Rob, I agree with you on waiting to see the flag....but at Rd America the pace car pulls off well before you can see the flag. When you can see the flag you are close to the flag stand and anyone with a radio and crewman calling the green May give the mid rows a huge advantage down the remainder of the very long front strait. I am trying to think of another track where the front row can not see the flag stand where the pace car pulls in....I am sure there may be another, but I cant think of one.
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

From what I have found if you keep pace car speed the rows behind start playing games. It always seems a bit too fast and allows gaps to be formed.   If a slower than pace car speed is set cars tend to bunch up tight. 

A fast pace like Jim likes usually creates big gaps all the way back. But at a risk of wave off or penalty. Oscillating speed seems to always create a mess. 

Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Never had the talent to be on a pole. Don't know the feeling/sensation/excitement.

Read from the GCR:

6.5.2. The Pace Lap

1. If a pace car is used, it will be positioned at the head of the pack, with emergency lights flashing. Drivers may not pass the pace car until it turns off its emergency lights and pulls off the track, and the pole car will maintain the speed of the pace car before it pulled off track until the green flag. The front row drivers must be advised not to pass the pace car.

dave

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

At last weeks Majors at Summit Point, in race 1, Tyler Kicera and I were on the front row. We slowed the field down and kept the field really tight, so that there would be no gaps and no opportunistic runs, and yet most of us were surprised by how early they threw the green. I was caught napping, missed my 2-3 shift, lost several positions and after even screwing it up even more on the exit of T1 dropped to dead last!

So even guys that qualify on the front row can get it completely wrong.

In Race 2 we approached the start the same way, but were prepared for the early green and all got away cleanly.

There are different ways to start - some text book, some not. Some have better outcomes than others

This is racing, no matter what you do, someone, somewhere will screw up, including ourselves, and when that happens, there are consequences. Nothing we do will prevent sh!t from happening, but we can try and limit it.

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Bruce Andersen

Bruce Andersen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Region:Central/South
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:17

A bit late, but congrats Kyle.  And, sorry for the bad luck Mike, great qualifying though.  Also, never realized T-Brown made beer.  Have to try it out sometime.

The reason I wasn't there, another wrecked start at VIR a couple of weeks earlier.  I will probably be back for Mid-O.

Totally agree, starts are getting out of control.

Bruce Andersen
Senson Racing Group

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Rob, I agree with you on waiting to see the flag....but at Rd America the pace car pulls off well before you can see the flag. When you can see the flag you are close to the flag stand and anyone with a radio and crewman calling the green May give the mid rows a huge advantage down the remainder of the very long front strait. I am trying to think of another track where the front row can not see the flag stand where the pace car pulls in....I am sure there may be another, but I cant think of one.

So?  If you're in the back, go when the field goes.  The guys in the front row can see the flag, they have no excuse.

If people are playing games behind you, protest.

It's not that hard.  I have zero sympathy for Jim or anyone else that goes early trying to reach turn 1 alone.  This isn't a F1 restart.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I know this sounds utterly insane, but the front row could keep doing the pace the pace car set until the green comes out.

You can also pull over and point the next three or four rows by if you like as well? 

I don't care to ruin my weekends whining and protesting others behind me who blow by at the start while I hold pace car speed all the way to the green.   I have zero interest in protesting starts etc to prove a silly point. his way works, has worked and will continue to work.  I don't see the front row leaving the next few rows in those starts.  Also not fond of the crashes that often result from the pace car speed start at Road America when the first 3-4 rows arrive at t1 all at the same time. See above Blackhawk videos.

If lucky enough to start on the front row again, I will start the same way.  

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Number:29
Danny, I agree with all you said. Rob, I think again I agree with you, except for the protest part... That may be more of a west coast thing, I don't know
  • Jim Drago likes this
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Watched the start of every race I've ever attended. IMO here are the main reasons(in order) starts go south(between green flag wave and turn 1)

1. Missed shift(never intentional but made worse if the offender tries to block the 2nd/3rd car from going by)

2. Intentional gap left by someone attempting the green flag guessing game. If they guess wrong and speed up but then hit the brakes...bad,bad,bad!

3. Front row comes through the last corner at either to quick or slow a pace then speeds up or slows down accordingly.

4. Starter waits to long and throws the latest start possible...Almost never fails when these occur that the Sea's part and you have 5 wide because all know the flag has to come out.

5. Clean start but someone in the first 10 rows(really anywhere) forgets their brake point will not be at their normal mark in the first corner!!

6. Early flag...before 1/2 the field has come threw the last corner(40+ fields...affects the back in the first corner)

7. Turn 1 or 2 goes from high speed to low speed(refer to #5) 

Other than #1 and #7...every scenario requires a conscious choice by someone. Dont think for a second I believe there is some kind of Nirvana here. It is racing and gamesmanship is part of it...understood. But as a collective group there is always the potential to do better and avoid the big situations.

I dont think the speed of a start is nearly as critical(to a clean start)as the gaps. Regardless of the speed...STEADY is the key. And if rolling on the throttle is the front row preference...then again STEADY is the key.

I can speak for our region and the one man who has started most every race he has attended. At all three tracks you can almost count on 2nd gear 4500rpm from the last corner to the green flag...it has worked every time!! His part in clean starts has been flawless!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

No doubt every track is a little different scenario from the last corner to first corner. And it would make sense there is also an ideal starting method...speaking strictly Spec Miata here. 

I think I've seen all the Runoffs starts at RA from the track Cameras(rolling throttle starts)...but never one that went south from a steady pace start. Can someone explain why a steady pace start(+/- 45mph) has the potential to be bad at turn one 1? Please assume there are no gaps and everyone is playing nice in line. 

Can the flag not be seen past the first few rows? Even in a late flag?

Is the distance between the start finish line and the turn 1 brake zone so great that the draft allows easy passes?

Not questioning those who say what works best...just trying to understand why having never been there!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I just want to point out that no matter what the front row does in a race where there are several cars, you will always get some guys getting to the gas sooner than others due to in car radios, some have some don't.

Much of what we are talking about is personal preference, and opinion about what is safe. Most of our opinions are based upon our personal experience and since we have not all had the same experience then i would expect to see different opinions.

So with that foundation, in my experience the keeping the steady speed of the pace car till green approach, works well to keep the pack tight, if everyone one plays by the rules. the rule being that you to keep tight to the car in front. 

But what often happens, and what Drago is afraid of is the guys behind you that lay back a little and try to get a 2 or 3 mph jump on the front row. Its a legitimate concern. the guys gaping and jumping, as Ron pointed our can cause a wreck if they time it wrong and have to check up. It also is unfair to the front row. Its likely not to be a successful protest as they did not pass anyone till the green but they have a head start.

The rolling on the throttle approach takes that away, IMO it also keep people from brake checking trying to get the timing right as the leaders are gradually pulling away.

I think its the fair as long as the front row rolls on gradually not nailing it flat to the floor then they would be the ones getting a jump. I normally tell the guys around me how i am going to start, no surprise to anyone.

I want to race, which means i get to run every corner in the race not just the first one.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

No doubt every track is a little different scenario from the last corner to first corner. And it would make sense there is also an ideal starting method...speaking strictly Spec Miata here. 

I think I've seen all the Runoffs starts at RA from the track Cameras(rolling throttle starts)...but never one that went south from a steady pace start. Can someone explain why a steady pace start(+/- 45mph) has the potential to be bad at turn one 1? Please assume there are no gaps and everyone is playing nice in line. 

Can the flag not be seen past the first few rows? Even in a late flag?

Is the distance between the start finish line and the turn 1 brake zone so great that the draft allows easy passes?

Not questioning those who say what works best...just trying to understand why having never been there!

I think the T1 or GT1 start a couple of years ago is an example of a steady pace start gone wrong, seemed like lots of Corvettes destroyed and there weren't near the number of cars that an SM field has. 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

You can also pull over and point the next three or four rows by if you like as well? 

Slow reaction time?  Somehow I always manage a steady pace from the pole and don't get eaten alive.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Slow reaction time?  Somehow I always manage a steady pace from the pole and don't get eaten alive.

You may be the best there has ever been for all I know:) What I do know is no reaction time difference in the world will stop the inevitable.

Come out and test your theory at Road America and let me know how it works...
You will end getting your ass handed to you, then you will have you will be filling out witness statements and be in the courts for a few days. But you will end up "right" and get to leave with a poor finish and/or a damaged car. Not my idea of fun.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Do you think what Rob and Ron are suggesting can't be done at Blackhawk or any other track ?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Do you think what Rob and Ron are suggesting can't be done at Blackhawk or any other track ?
J~

Absolutely not, it is done often at many tracks week in and week out, but neither have ever run at Road America before( I have, a few times actually)and it will not work there.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

You may be the best there has ever been for all I know:) What I do know is no reaction time difference in the world will stop the inevitable.

Come out and test your theory at Road America and let me know how it works...
You will end getting your ass handed to you, then you will have you will be filling out witness statements and be in the courts for a few days. But you will end up "right" and get to leave with a poor finish and/or a damaged car. Not my idea of fun.

Then it's tough luck for the pole sitter.  That or the start rules need a rewrite.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

That's what I was thinking.

Start right.

Black flag

Or change the rule.

But I just start sh!t around here so...

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users