MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

I guess you need to watch what happend at june sprints restart last year.  Im out have fun this conversation is stupid.

And the conversation is only stupid if people keep repeating the same mistakes and blaming anyone but the drivers.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

A couple things I know.

At BFR the right lane is a big advantage. I would rather start 5th than 2nd.

The officials at Blackhawk are the same ones that we see at Road America. Since I see these people multiple times each year, I hear things. The stewards are not happy with the usual SM starts. They do not like the front rows accelerating before the green flag. Especially at Road America where the field is typically at full speed at pit entry, which is long before the crest of the hill and not within sight of the bridge. It has been suggested that anyone caught accelerating prior to the green will be black flagged and counciled in pit lane not to do it again.

Seeing the starter from rows 2-15 is difficult at BFR, the bridge is simply not high enough to see over the row in front of you. Thus radios and a green green green call are huge. This may or may not be the reason some people get a jump over others at the start.

All this being said, running into the back of a competitor is wrong. You must maintain control of your car at all times. Control = the ability to not hit the car in front.

I am installing 6 fenders and 3 bumpers this week

dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Number:48
each individual needs to watch his video and try to think about any possible way HE could have avoided the situation. Regardless of whether or not you think you were at fault, if everyone can come up with one thing that they could have done differently, and stop looking at other drivers, this sort of thing would be a whole lot less common.
  • MPR22 likes this

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Last time I check the flagman was not required to wave the green, correct ??

If you guys play games, don't line up, jump, whatever, why should he throw it ?

It's your race, it's your time. Do you want to do it right or do you want to go around again and try again.

Sounds like you got the flagman whipped or he doesn't care and just throws it anyway.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

From my observations within the CenDiv, it's rare for the green flag to not be thrown the first time by. Just as we have habits the starter flag folks have habits.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

You can give the director my speech, but them saying "they took off before I waved it " :crying2: is BS, IMO.

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Especially at Road America where the field is typically at full speed at pit entry, which is long before the crest of the hill and not within sight of the bridge. It has been suggested that anyone caught accelerating prior to the green will be black flagged and counciled in pit lane not to do it again.

The safest, most fair starts at Road America are in our class have been done just this way. Perhaps they should concentrate on letting the correct lane of cars out of the pits first. :) Let the racers start the races like we have for the last 5-6 years, they know what they are doing. If lucky enough to start from the front row I will be starting the same way we have for years.. :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Ok, I guess the back of the pack is still on the hill right ?

How was it at MRLS Jim? you didn't get stacked until the green dropped? IDK I wasn't there.

Kyle's did Sonoma, We stacked them up and waited for the green to fly.

The flagman should figure out what's safest even if a super late or early green.

Pole controls pace speed, not the green, IMO.

But that's your guys call.

J~

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Congrats Kyle!

Shame the front row couldn't hold a steady speed.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Ok, I guess the back of the pack is still on the hill right ?

How was it at MRLS Jim? you didn't get stacked until the green dropped? IDK I wasn't there.

Kyle's did Sonoma, We stacked them up and waited for the green to fly.

The flagman should figure out what's safest even if a super late or early green.

Pole controls pace speed, not the green, IMO.

But that's your guys call.

J~

From Memory laguna start was similar to what I described above, no drama

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

tynor

tynor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Region:Atlanta

each individual needs to watch his video and try to think about any possible way HE could have avoided the situation. Regardless of whether or not you think you were at fault, if everyone can come up with one thing that they could have done differently, and stop looking at other drivers, this sort of thing would be a whole lot less common.

Reminds me of something I learned in driver's school.  I can't remember who it was attributed to, but it was essentially: whatever happens on the race track is YOUR FAULT.  It doesn't matter if you get struck by lightning on the back straight. Being where the lightning hit is YOUR FAULT.    Learn from any incident and find ways to not let it happen again.

Steve Tynor

'99 SM

Atlanta, GA

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

An incredible statement from such a young driver...if only all young drivers had this attitude(and many older ones!)

Mr. Hille can come to the west coast any time and drive my car!
  • Johnny D, MPR22 and Danny Steyn like this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

So what's with this all, "black flag, bring you in for a talk in the pits" when it's been done without drama, is proven to be safer and nobody does what's threatened ??

J~

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Congrats Kyle!

Thanks Rob

K. Webb