Photo

2015 Blackhawk Farms Major

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

The line up and video watch from a spectator in T1.

Novak (17) actually 9

Elder 19

Bender 8

Hille 56

Randal 89

Todaro 35

Brown 27

Talbot 4

Smart 76

Bilicki 51

Webb 99

Bernacki 34

From Hille video:

Under start stand 3 wide  Elder 19, Novak (17) 9, Bender 8 

Pre T1                              Bender 8 locks up all 4 (T1 spectator view) with Randal 89 pushing.

Mid T1                              Elder 19, Novak 9, Bender 8, Randal 89, Hille 56 all off drivers left/outside track.

After the snarl started, Brown 27 and Smart 76  made some great decisions, they entered T2 with Smart 76 leading and Down town Tommy Brown 27 in P2. 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

After the snarl started, Brown 27 and Smart 76  made some great decisions, they entered T2 with Smart 76 leading and Down town Tommy Brown 27 in P2. 

No disrespect to anybody... Coming out of that mess unscathed was 90% luck 10 % good decisions.  Many made perfect decisions and were smashed. 

All you can do is learn from these deals.. few people commenting here ( including myself) have not done things similar. the only important thing to learn here is what NOT to do next time in order to avoid this from happening again.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

No disrespect to anybody... Coming out of that mess unscathed was 90% luck 10 % good decisions.  Many made perfect decisions and were smashed. 

All you can do is learn from these deals.. few people commenting here ( including myself) have not done things similar. the only important thing to learn here is what NOT to do next time in order to avoid this from happening again.

Agree with all above!!!

And this is why we dont need a bunch of finger pointing going on.  Nobody in that field want it to go that way not even me who gained benifit from it...

We have the greatest group of guys who want to settle the race with driving skill not crashes and bs, I am confident everyone who has viewed these vids will think different.  I am sure will still push each other on the start but i think more restraint will be used in the future.  

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

And this is why we dont need a bunch of finger pointing going on.

But what are going to talk about then ?? :)
J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

But what are going to talk about then ?? :)
J

About how damn fun it is racing chick cars

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

ok.

https://www.youtube....h?v=g7RZGHX1qCY

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

https://www.youtube....h?v=MML_WXgTlEI

J~

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Only reason for my post was, there were a couple this and that's being posted that didn't agree with the videos. In order to learn, we need to follow the facts as best as we can.

IMHJ, one of Smart and Brown's first great decisions was to get on the brakes and lessen their involvement. The fact that they were on the inside line into T1 helped their status.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Agree with all above!!!

And this is why we dont need a bunch of finger pointing going on.  Nobody in that field want it to go that way not even me who gained benifit from it...

We have the greatest group of guys who want to settle the race with driving skill not crashes and bs, I am confident everyone who has viewed these vids will think different.  I am sure will still push each other on the start but i think more restraint will be used in the future.  

What I see too often is people not finger pointing.  When someone or some group of people make a mistake that tears up a bunch of cars it should be analyzed and critiqued no matter who's feelings get hurt.  We all need to learn from others mistakes and without them being called out and brought into the light  we can't do that.  I make mistakes, sometimes it damages others cars, I try to learn from it and make better decisions.  

We race in spec class, more often than not we should finish within a position or two of where we qualify.  Too often I have seen those that didn't qual well for whatever reason try to make up all the spots in between on the start.  Too often this leads to a huge pile up and lots of cars damaged.  These are NOT one lap races, they are usually 30 mins or more in SCCA, plenty of time to show everyone what a great driver you are and how you can work your way to the front.  Unless the guy up front makes ZERO mistakes there will be opportunities to pass.  That is race craft, bonzia blitzs at the start is not racecraft, It is irresponsible.  We don't do this for money, we do this for fun.  It costs us more money to do this than a lot of people make in a year.  Tearing up a car is absolutely the most expensive and least enjoyable part of racing.  It puts more people out of the sport than any other expense.   

• FTodaro, screaming monkey and Steve Scheifler like this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I started on POLE. I was warned to make a SLOW start or I would be Black flagged....   I will agree it was not my best start but it had ZERO to do with the first corner. The entire right side row hit each one after another in a bump draft and and knocked Bender through the corner and into me as we TRIED to turn the corner... Bender ---who was all the way on the right ---me in the middle and Elders on the left. I watched Benders video and he would have been able to make the turn had he not gotten hit.

We should have been able to go through turn one three wide and go from there but instead must everyone in the right row used the guy in front of them as brakes-----Not saying everyone did but I see the same thing in most of the posted videos...

Mike as far as my comments go, i was not making any statement about you or your start of the race, you cannot be responsible for what the pack does from behind you and i agree no matter what the start looks like slow or fast it does not give the guys behind you the justification to hit anyone in the first corner.

I am pointing out that i think the slow to moderate start with steady acceleration to Green reduces some of the problems, that is it.

I am however suggesting ignoring the request to hold the steady speed to green, as they give that to us at mid O too and we still do a controlled acceleration and have never been flagged.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I think there was a little gamesmanship going on up front if Smart and others were coming out of T7 full throttle.

And then the flagmen throwing the green whenever.

No pointing fingers because Kyle said I can't.

I do so love to race these chick cars though.

J~

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

I personally think that the stewards asking for a slow start is the biggest problem here.  so lets point some fingers there.  I am very sorry to see Mikes car torn up and there is not justifacation for that but singling out one driver here helps nothing.  I think next time the steward asks the pole sitter to go slow he should include the whole group of drivers in that conversation. slow starts lead to carnage plain and simple, you can say dont got 3 4 or 5 wide but you know as soon as the flag flies its gonna happen. it happens at aver race i have ever been to except whe we roll on the power at the start 

K. Webb