• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Did they take the valve cover off ??

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Thanks Rob for the clarification...what did yours whistle at with valve cover off(if you want to share)?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91

Aren't the numbers in the rules?

J~

I think so.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Thanks Rob for the clarification...what did yours whistle at with valve cover off(if you want to share)?

"legal" ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Does anyone have video to share?  My camera battery died.

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Number:59

I have all races on video (Sat Race, Sun Qual Race, Sun Race). I will upload Sat Race and Sun Qual Race later this week. Unfortunately my camera died before the last lap restart of the Sat race where there was almost a huge pileup in the first turn and I had to go off track. My rear facing camera still worked and shows some solid rooster tailing as I try to do some flat out off roading.

• Rob Burgoon likes this

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Shouldn't matter. The compression limit is the same. Adjustments made to keep it at the comp limit done with the head thickness and block deck height I believe.

It does matter, just not very much.  The whistler measures volume at TDC.  You have to tell it what the max volume is at BDC so it can compute compression ratio.  A bigger displacement means more air is getting smashed into the same size combustion chamber. That's why reducing the total displacement setting lowers the CR number it spits out.

pmillion

pmillion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Region:Southern CA
  • Car Number:14
Autoclub Speedway

Picture speaks for itself.  This happened on the start. Front row.

"crushing the hopes and dreams of NASA's new crop of teens"

hmm

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

I'm sorry my apology after the race wasn't good enough.

• pmillion likes this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

I'm sorry my apology after the race wasn't good enough.

Dream Crusher !!!  :nonono:

:rotfl:

J~

• Mark and Michael Colangelo like this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Wow...i realize maybe this is this first time youve had contact but that is hardly worthy of a picture post. There was 2 other teen challenge drivers who are writing off their cars and spent time in the ambulance...

Then again if your post is meant to guilt Rob because you lost positions then just say so?

• ECOBRAP likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Because there did seem to be a lot of carnage this weekend did NASA penalize anyone?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Because there did seem to be a lot of carnage this weekend did NASA penalize anyone?

The race steward is on travel this week, but has video and will be carefully reviewing it to sort out penalties and such.

There were DQ's and suspensions from the saturday race and sunday heat I think.

I'd still love to see video from anyone 4th row and back since I'm not sure how it played out.  If I made more than one error there, I want to learn from it.

True North

True North

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Region:Arizona
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:7

First I would like to congratulate Mr. Fillippi for his two wins over the weekend!! Mason did some pretty good driving but will have some very tough competition in the months ahead. I know there were some bad decisions made over the weekend during the races but overall, these young teens are really talented drivers.

As far as video goes, I had terrible problems all weekend with backfiring and then forgot to put my SD chip in my Smartycam after we solved the problem...I think!

Good luck to all the Teen Challenge drivers at Buttonwillow in June and looking forward to seeing you all again at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. 

• Mark, Joe (dad) Jordan and Michael Colangelo like this

Race hard my friends,
Dean Busk
Director/Spec Liaison Az. SCCA
True North Equity Group

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Picture speaks for itself.  This happened on the start. Front row.

"crushing the hopes and dreams of NASA's new crop of teens"

hmm

I'm not sure how to reply but I can say that I'm disappointed in your post PMillion.  

Wanna trade?  Mine is noting compared to others who got to ride in ambulances and possible write their cars off as totaled.  I'm not complaining.  If you can't take a little wrinkled body work then this may not be the class for you.

11143724_10210177946592130_1393380940508

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Number:59

I still think it is worth discussing if a faster start with courteous spacing between the cars is a better option for us. It would be less fun, but it actually allows people to correct for a front runner missing a shift and heavily reduces the risk of a chain reaction like we saw on Sunday.

Also, John I think a lot of us would appreciate a detailed description of what happened in tech on Sunday. What I heard is that Filippi failed the whistle by a significant margin, but also that the tech guys had no idea what they were doing, and Filippi was cleared just because of that? Just saying what I have heard, and would like some clarification as to what really happened, and if further investigation was taken or is being taken. If not, why not.

Best,

Matt

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Unfortunate that there were torn up cars...

My .02 is that rules on body contact on lap one are really meaningless like a watchdog with no teeth. Dq's and repositioning cars for incidents also is no deterent, and in either case no post race action taken ever fixes anyone torn up car.

The more competitive the field the more important rolling to wot early to avoid as much lap one contact as humanly possible.

Facts we must all face is that even the guy who quals dfl thinks he is 10 spots better then his current grid spot and whynshouldnt he? He is a racer we all have lofty expectations or why would we even show up? I often do not qual nearly as good as the car and I am capable of and nearly every race that I hose qual I pass 5-8 guys just on my consistency and racecraft, so if I can pass 5 cars when they make poor starts I'm in the hunt, have made a podium result at majors doing this a few times. Should i learn to qual better absolutely!

K. Webb