Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Crickets

You are there...come out of the closet!!

Seems like some great competition! But know one is going to come on here and give up any kind of secrets or strategy! How about tech shed? Anything? Sealed motors?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:38
Hillies time was disallowed. He did not take his restrictor off with the correct official watching. One was watching just not the right one.

Other cars. Hard top gap and 2 lbs too light.
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Hillies time was disallowed. He did not take his restrictor off with the correct official watching. One was watching just not the right one.

Other cars. Hard top gap and 2 lbs too light.

The Hille thing is the most ridiculous thing i have seen in tech to date.  I sure hope he protested.  From what i understand, i wasn't there at the moment, "please remove your restrictor plate", ok, here you go.  Bauer walks over and says not good a "national tech"
official not a "local tech" official needed to oversee the removal"  WTF!!!!!    

Carbonell was under by 2 lbs.  

Collum had his hard top attached at the two front, two middle and 1 rear attachments.  The left rear frankenstein bolt was not present nor was any other fastening device.  The hard top was firmly attached and didn't have any play in it unlike mine from the NASA nationals.  

The tech crew is being very strict.  They are requiring gaskets on both sides of the restrictor plate even though gaskets are an "open" item in our class.  I don't know anyone that runs gaskets on both sides.  

Things they checked that I heard or remember.  Restrictors, stall test, visual inspection of the undercarriage for aero parts, checked for proper hard top attachement.  Sealed heads, put stickers on transmissions and shocks.  Basically if you need to remove any of those parts you must come back to tech shed to have the tech officials watch the removal, inspect the new parts and impound the removed parts.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Fastest "overdog at Daytona" 1.6, 130.126. Obviously need help! :-)

Is this the typical myopic 1.6 owner misrepresenting the facts?   

Check out David Zippes 1.6 

http://cdn.growasset....pdf?1442857623

135.748 with a best lap time of 2:21.873.   OMG he is so slow.. Please understand that because all the 1.6 owners believe their cars are underdogs doenst mean the are.  It is just more likely they are not as good a driver as they think they are.  And oh yes at this track, he can pass plenty of cars with that trap speed.  Many 99 and 01+ in the top 10 didn't have that high of a trap speed.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

How many cars in impound after Q1? After last year they may feel obligated to look at a lot before the race and impound the top 15 plus a bunch of randoms after.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Number:48
Rob was given a list of things to check, under the assumption that he should start the process, never was it specified that he had to wait for Bauer. As there was another official under the car marking suspension parts, he preceded to remove the restrictor. There was another tech official standing right next to him but apparently he had nothing to do with SM tech.

This is our first runoffs and we've never had an issue with tech procedure all year. We did protest but Bauer's decision is not protestable. Just bullshit.

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

How many cars in impound after Q1? After last year they may feel obligated to look at a lot before the race and impound the top 15 plus a bunch of randoms after.

Top 10.  I expect they will pull the top 10 again based on time tomorrow, will probably quite a bit of overlap as I don't expect but a few of the people from 10-20 to improve enough to get impounded.  Some big names and talent in those spots so you never know.  This track is all about being good not great through the infield but absolutely nailing the exit of turn 6 though start finish with a partner. 

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Is this the typical myopic 1.6 owner misrepresenting the facts?

http://cdn.growasset....pdf?1442857623

135.748 with a best lap time of 2:21.873. OMG he is so slow.. Please understand that because all the 1.6 owners believe their cars are underdogs doenst mean the are. It is just more likely they are not as good a driver as they think they are. And oh yes at this track, he can pass plenty of cars with that trap speed. Many 99 and 01+ in the top 10 didn't have that high of a trap speed.

I missed that one, but did you actually miss the irony/sarcasm???? It was a wisecrack meant to beat the 1.6 militants to the draw. After all the talk about them possibly being competitive there I had hoped that a serious 1.6 contender would show up and do well.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

I didn't miss the sarcasm, I just wanted to bust some 1.6 balls and yours were the first ones to whack.  

It does bother me that every thread ends up being a parity thread about the 1.6.  

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

As for trap speed, you seem to miss the obvious. It is ALL about a good draft. Any half decent car could do that speed with good exit speed from the prior corner and a good partner. A few extra or fewer HP will determine how well you can turn a run into a slingshot pass, but just hanging on the bumper isn't that hard, so don't read too much into trap speeds.
  • Rob Burgoon likes this

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I didn't miss the sarcasm, I just wanted to bust some 1.6 balls and yours were the first ones to whack.

It does bother me that every thread ends up being a parity thread about the 1.6.

It was headed there eventually, I was trying to kill it in its tracks while things were otherwise silent.
  • MPR22 likes this

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

It was headed there eventually, I was trying to kill it in its tracks while things were otherwise silent.

So you are saying that was a prophylactic dose of 1.6 parity?

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Gasket on both sides?? Never heard of that! I better at least get 1!

Wasnt there something about the hardtop attachment recently? You could go to the front part of the roll cage was one thing? And I thought you only had to have the side latch bolts and not the Frankenstein? Or was it the other way around? I know its popular to remove or loosen the adjuster that slides over the Frankenstein so the top sits up a little...small gap that isnt noticeable unless you look for it. Then there are those that just remove the seal all together under the hardtop  :blink:

On an aero note...any cars in the top 15 not running a chin spoiler? How about the small side window? Are cars a little tighter to the  ground?

Sorry to hear that Justin...I assume they said they told everyone to wait for a tech and you must have not heard it? Because if a tech dropped the ball and DIDNT tell you to wait I would be all in someones grill!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac

None of this means jack until the headlights are up.  I hate the endless parity crap as much as anyone but the NA's got hosed on this night race deal.

• MPR22, Blake Thompson, Rob Burgoon and 1 other like this

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

As for trap speed, you seem to miss the obvious. It is ALL about a good draft. Any half decent car could do that speed with good exit speed from the prior corner and a good partner. A few extra or fewer HP will determine how well you can turn a run into a slingshot pass, but just hanging on the bumper isn't that hard, so don't read too much into trap spee

Not lost on me, you still have to be able to hang out of the corner.  The one in question is a mid third gear turn not a 1.6 dream.  

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

None of this means jack until the headlights are up.  I hate the endless parity crap as much as anyone but the NA's got hosed on this night race deal.

Couldn't agree more.  I don't think it is as big of an issue if the 1.6 is the pusher.  Any car running by itself is hosed regardless of headlight positioning.  

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Gasket on both sides?? Never heard of that! I better at least get 1!

Wasnt there something about the hardtop attachment recently? You could go to the front part of the roll cage was one thing? And I thought you only had to have the side latch bolts and not the Frankenstein? Or was it the other way around? I know its popular to remove or loosen the adjuster that slides over the Frankenstein so the top sits up a little...small gap that isnt noticeable unless you look for it. Then there are those that just remove the seal all together under the hardtop  :blink:

On an aero note...any cars in the top 15 not running a chin spoiler? How about the small side window? Are cars a little tighter to the  ground?

Sorry to hear that Justin...I assume they said they told everyone to wait for a tech and you must have not heard it? Because if a tech dropped the ball and DIDNT tell you to wait I would be all in someones grill!

I think everyone had the chin spoilers.  Can't tell if the cars were slammed to the ground, haven't seen any that looked like they were sitting on their bumpstops yet this weekend.  It looked like those that had Frankensteins had the mid bracket adjusted up so they sat up higher than those like mine that are hard fastened to the body.  Didn't notice the side window but i am sure many are trying to do anything they can to gain aero advantage.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Beat me to the punch  Mark...i was going to ask if 135mph was with headlights up??

But you hit the 1.6 conspiracy right on the head...SCCA does not want the 1.6 around anymore!

Ron

RAmotorsports

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Rob was given a list of things to check, under the assumption that he should start the process, never was it specified that he had to wait for Bauer. As there was another official under the car marking suspension parts, he preceded to remove the restrictor. There was another tech official standing right next to him but apparently he had nothing to do with SM tech.

This is our first runoffs and we've never had an issue with tech procedure all year. We did protest but Bauer's decision is not protestable. Just bullshit.

Now you know why its never a good idea to give an official un-appealable power. Never a good idea. If there was an official witness to confirm should have been ok.

• MPR22 likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

135.748 with a best lap time of 2:21.873.

Fastest 1.6: 2.2 seconds off pole time and 25th O/A.

PARITY ACHIEVED! (close enough, anyway)

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)