Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

But you hit the 1.6 conspiracy right on the head...SCCA does not want the 1.6 around anymore!

Ron, although we have never met, I consider you a friend. But the statement above is neither helpful nor true. Behind the scenes there are people working to make sure that the 1.6 becomes more competitive, but posts like that dull our desire to take on this thankless task. 

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Fastest 1.6: 2.2 seconds off pole time and 25th O/A.

PARITY ACHIEVED! (close enough, anyway)

Since i know you are serious that is absolutely the most asinine thing your have posted and that is saying a lot. Facts are nobody that wants to win wants to fight tuning the car everyday.  We can build NBs and set them and forget them.  You will never have parity as you define it because nobody with enough talent to win will chose that route.  Unless the car was made a big overdog and that is not good for the class.  By your definition the 01 does not have parity as I was 1.x seconds off pole.  Oh never mind, I just drove like shit and that had nothing to do with the car.  Go put your car into IT trim and find some place else to troll. 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

You will never have parity. Go put your car into IT trim and find some place else to troll.

Maybe the SCCA stills wants the 1.6 but apparently Neil Patrick Ross does not.

PS: who's the fastest VVT car? 2nd fastest, 4th fastest? (I wonder if they sat in and forgat it?)

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Maybe the SCCA stills wants the 1.6 but apparently Neil Patrick Ross does not.

PS: who's the fastest 2001 car.

Do I think the 1.6 needs some help at some tracks? Yes. Do I think it's a good idea to make a the oldest car in the class the car to have? Absolutely not. I like the aftermarket header idea, implement and go race it. Will it change your mind on the parity of the cars in the class? No, because you still won't win and therefore it must be the car.

I believe I have the fastest VVt at the track. Who's VVT had the fastest time, Todd Buras, P2. See I admit it's a driver parity issue not always a car parity issue. Yesterday I was 19th today I hope to improve, same driver same car was on the pole at VIR two weeks ago in a reaonably deep field, many of the same drivers. Time slips don't tell the whole story. Next year enter the race. Mid Ohio, your home track? 1.6s do well there regularly. I'll probably come up and try to learn the track in 2 days just like I did at VIR and like I'm struggling to do here.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Guys , with the "P" talk your ruining the thread..............................

• MPR22, FTodaro and sentercut like this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Number:48
He never told us to wait for him, and he admitted to that, but it still didn't matter. In his mind, because 10 other veteran runoffs crew members didn't have an issue with the process (go figure) we must have swapped the plate, and if he let it slide for us then other people will think they can get away with it too...

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

JR, does loosing your time mean you also loose your start position for today? Presume you and Novak have a plan.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Dave, yes I will have to start in the back. Not a big deal as he will just wait in the pits, although it would be nice to go out in order of speed. Less chance of hitting traffic and higher chance of running a flying lap behind the Todd show

1999 Spec Miata

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Dave, yes I will have to start in the back. Not a big deal as he will just wait in the pits, although it would be nice to go out in order of speed. Less chance of hitting traffic and higher chance of running a flying lap behind the Todd show

Sorry this happened, I watched you deal with it yesterday and I will say you a mature beyond your years. My head would have exploded but you seemed to just deal with it. Probably the quiet confidence that you can back that time up today or probably do even better. Good luck out there.

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
You didn't hear all of the behind the scenes F bombs and immature blows below the belt :P
  • Danny Steyn and James York like this

1999 Spec Miata

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Not a big deal as he will just wait in the pits, although it would be nice to go out in order of speed. Less chance of hitting traffic and higher chance of running a flying lap behind the Todd show         

Not if you time your pit exit right :)

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

JR, from the bleachers, might it be a good idea to be sure NO ONE will interfere (sometimes people show power, right or wrong) with Novak waiting in in the hot pit. If someone might interfere with Novak maybe Novak should come to grid after the one minute mark.   Totally understand starting at what would have been your earned position, the Todd train and masses of cars after.

"Cars not on the grid at the one-minute signal shall relinquish their qualifying grid position and start the qualifying session from the rear of their class, if the second group has not yet been released, or from the rear of the second group if it has."

How does the word cumulative in the sentence below impact your third and fourth qualifying start position? I have never paid attention in the past.

"Grid positions for qualifying sessions 2, 3 and 4 will be determined by the cumulative fastest times from the previous session(s). "ï‚·

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

There's no rule that prohibits waiting on pit lane or pitting after x number of laps, or for that matter giving point-bys until desired track position is achieved.

• Blake Thompson likes this

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

The qualifying protocol is one of the things that is most annoying at the runoffs.  Day one grid by national points, day 2, 3, 4 grid by best standing qualifying time.  Since we almost go out in small groups of 2-3 miatas it creates a bit of chaos getting your qualifying buddies together. Most people just go sit in the hot pits, put their group together and go.  This lead to much more mixed speed traffic yesterday than in the practice days.  Most laps were in traffic of some sort.  Yesterday worked for me and Chris as we were 18 and 19 national points wise.  Today not so much.  He is 5 and I am 16.  Not sure what national points has to do with where you should start qualifying.  My opinion it should be open all 4 days.  Bring your dance partners to grid when you are ready, line up and go.  

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Ron, although we have never met, I consider you a friend. But the statement above is neither helpful nor true. Behind the scenes there are people working to make sure that the 1.6 becomes more competitive, but posts like that dull our desire to take on this thankless task. 

My black helicopter sarcasm caught someone to early in the morning??  

Thanks for the compliment and not to worry...I think the current direction is warranted! And dont forget...it is so easy and cheap to grind all exhaust parts internal welds to pipe size diameter! 

Back to a comment you made earlier relevant to this thread...

If 2 cars are traveling at the same speed and both hit the rev-limiter at the same time.. how can either gain speed?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137

The qualifying protocol is one of the things that is most annoying at the runoffs.  Day one grid by national points, day 2, 3, 4 grid by best standing qualifying time.  Since we almost go out in small groups of 2-3 miatas it creates a bit of chaos getting your qualifying buddies together. Most people just go sit in the hot pits, put their group together and go.  This lead to much more mixed speed traffic yesterday than in the practice days.  Most laps were in traffic of some sort.  Yesterday worked for me and Chris as we were 18 and 19 national points wise.  Today not so much.  He is 5 and I am 16.  Not sure what national points has to do with where you should start qualifying.  My opinion it should be open all 4 days.  Bring your dance partners to grid when you are ready, line up and go.  

because they'll grid three sessions early and make a terrible mess for everyone else in other groups trying to have a good time.

• Chad Martin likes this

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

because they'll grid three sessions early and make a terrible mess for everyone else in other groups trying to have a good time.

Was not a problem on test day and everyone was treating it like it was qualifying.  

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Ironically in SFR we still do this nonsense! Not sure why our SCCA region still is CLUELESS!!  Grid numbers that can be seen from the car(cones)and a grid sheet posted 1 hour before your session eliminates 3 grumpy grid workers! (Ok 2 and one nice one :) )

Ron

RAmotorsports

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Just learned via Facebook that the dq of hille qual time has been reversed by chief steward! Scca did the right thing here imo! Good to hear that rational thinking prevailed over unwritten rules being enforced!
  • Mark, Bench Racer, Danny Steyn and 5 others like this

K. Webb