• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

I think a lot of us would race in shirt-sleeves if we could. I'm just surprised NASA permits the driver to make the call.

the risk of fire is pretty low

A high speed collision or mechanical failure could change that in a heartbeat.

• robertcope likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jason J Ball

Jason J Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Region:NASA-SE
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:15

Great racing all weekend!  MPR 22, I had to slide though the bus stop hard on the gas to keep close to 5000 rpm, that is the only way to get through there in the 1.6

without losing ground to the 99 or vvt cars.  Results for race 3 are provisional until protest results are public, so things may change with the final result.

Gale,

Were you running with the Exhaust Manifold Mod and Intake Wrap/Blinker removed? Just curious if you noticed any difference. 

Jason

• trimless likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Am I the only one amazed that NASA allows the TT drivers, running at race pace, to wear only a t-shirt? Robert, I can't tell in the video - are you wearing a H&N device?

Years ago when Mid Ohio School had the twilight  test tune that was not for SCCA race weekend, they would allow you to go out with shorts and tee shirt. I was out there in my GT3 busting 140. 141 on the club course.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

Great racing all weekend!  MPR 22, I had to slide though the bus stop hard on the gas to keep close to 5000 rpm, that is the only way to get through there in the 1.6

without losing ground to the 99 or vvt cars.  Results for race 3 are provisional until protest results are public, so things may change with the final result.

You were absolutely on point this weekend especially on Sunday, you rarely made even the smallest of bobbles.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Newbies post your videos if you have them, we like to watch mid pack racing as much as that up front, honestly more interesting things go on.  Who knows some one might chime in with some advice or compliments. 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Gale,

Were you running with the Exhaust Manifold Mod and Intake Wrap/Blinker removed? Just curious if you noticed any difference. 

Jason

Of course he could see and tell the difference... He did win right???  I mean there is no way he could win in that little 1.6 that could without those things????

• trimless likes this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

surlynkid

surlynkid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Car Number:20

If you are going to make the distinction for TT drivers needing suits based on race pace, where do you stop?  I was running in the DE4 group and was running faster than 60% of the TT drivers on worn out NT01's.  That is race pace.  Do I need a suit?  I use a Hans, but I often wear shorts and t-shirts. 

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Do I need a suit?

You tell me.

mhiggins10

mhiggins10

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Region:SOWDIV

Thanks.  Honestly, I think I'm more upset at myself for NOT trying to get the can back in the game for Saturday.  At the time I made the decision to withdraw we didn't know there was a subframe available.  At about 5:30pm Friday evening Chris came over and said, "How hard do you want to work..there's a NA subframe over there?"  By that time, I'd already received my promo code for Cresson from Adrienne.  I'm sure I could have gone back and re-entered, but I'd already checked out mentally. 

So, I wussed out.  That bugs me still.

The more I do this, the more I appreciate the mental game that goes with it.  From early DE days, they tell folks that racing is more tiring than you give credit for and the adrenaline masks the fatigue (so true), but even once you get past that and are comfortable doing a day of driving, pushing for tenths on every lap at full race pace is yet another step in mental acuity required.  I can only imagine what it starts to take if you're really fighting for podium positions as well as watching out for those tenths...

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself.  If you started wrenching at 5:30PM to do all that work, it would've been one hell of a long night.  If your head isn't in it the next day, it's almost more frustrating to go out and run crappy laps than it is to sit it out.  

mhiggins10

mhiggins10

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Region:SOWDIV

I think a lot of us would race in shirt-sleeves if we could. I'm just surprised NASA permits the driver to make the call.

A high speed collision or mechanical failure could change that in a heartbeat.

My $.02- it's different when it's controlled passing and single car time trials vs. me being in the mix with someone else right next to me into a braking zone.  WAY more that can go wrong and cause the collision, and a big chunk of that is out of my control.  Risk level goes way up.   Plus, I don't think anyone would prohibit someone running TT in full gear- it's just that those drivers have a choice to make.  I'd never RACE without a firesuit, but DEs?  Eh- mixed results.

There's also not a huge difference between TT and most of the advanced DE run groups, and they don't require those guys to have full fire gear.  That said, I saw a lot of thoughtful looks last time one of the racer instructors told an advanced group "You know, you guys are running 150mph+ in a Viper with just a helmet and seat belt.  Spec Miata guys have seats, harnesses, HANS and often fire systems and only break 110...."

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Great debate on this subject.  That TT Corvette was really crumpled, no making that car straight.  That wall i never want to hit as I have seen too many cars and too many drivers get hurt on it.  So the thought of hitting it at 90+ with a stock seat belt and helmet does not sound good.  I guess without the bars in the car he had less chance of hitting his head but that wall i notorious for causing the head to hit the cage back left of the drivers head.  Seems to me there should be some level at which the cars have to have seats and harnesses at a minimum.  I would think that threshold is TT as at that point you are looking for tenths and not seconds and are pushing the edge very hard. 

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

I'll try to be more clear. I know (now) that TT drivers can choose their own level of safety. What amazes me is that NASA lets them choose.

• MPR22 likes this

Jason J Ball

Jason J Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Region:NASA-SE
  • Car Number:15

Of course he could see and tell the difference... He did win right???  I mean there is no way he could win in that little 1.6 that could without those things????

Oh Caveman, not trying to turn this into a Parity debate! Just some real world feedback from a pretty good wheel man!

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Oh Caveman, not trying to turn this into a Parity debate! Just some real world feedback from a pretty good wheel man!

Thank you Jason, I didn't want any crap therefore I didn't ask the same question you asked, but I am curious Gale. Did you have the ambient air intake and the snorkel wrap?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Here we go.

Before we go off on the parity tangent.

Good write up you guys, Looks like fun was had by all.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Surprise Frank, we all know how to read. Just curious if Gale updated. Nothing more, nothing less. You 99 plusers ask all day long on this site for info and no one says a thing. If I bought my stuff like some guys, I'd lean on my vendor to get the info, sound familiar? :bigsquaregrin:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I was just busting your J Balls lol...  I know you were only asking, not like some other people who don't buy their parts :)

• Jason J Ball likes this

K. Webb