Photo

Is it time for an On Track Compliance Chief (TCC)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
284 replies to this topic

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Tom's Q back (Cutler) was a head case long before the Bears got him. Ask any of our Denver friends.

He is definitely not "my" QB.  He should have been gone when they signed him to that big fat contract.     That move by the Bears was akin to buying a new engine for a NA 1.8 SM and believing you can win with that instead of investing in a younger athletic VVT car.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Sounds to me like the Midget driver wanted you to move to the grass first.  :dope:

There is another team, the Chicago Cubs, playing in a playoff game tonight.  We've given up on the Bears this year.  However, I'd say all the pressure is on the Packers tonight because we know the Bears suck and if they somehow win, it won't be good for the Pack or their fans.  

Your point one, if he thought I was going to take the classic line/outside he would have moved me to the grass drivers right, wasn't going to happen.

Congrats on your Cubs, one more game and they tangle a$$ with the Indians. IIRC the Packers are picked 30 to 17 and if they get beat it's time for Huntley. They F'ed up last Friday praying Callaway would clear waivers/reclaim for practice squad and he is now a Saint. 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Your point one, if he thought I was going to take the classic line/outside he would have moved me to the grass drivers right, wasn't going to happen.

It's clear he needs to be moved to the faster run group.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Wasn't there.  Can't respond to the specifics.  Will only say that we have always taught the overtaken driver to stay on his normal line, that it is the responsibility of the overtaking driver to figure a way around.  Going off line creates an unexpected situation for the overtaking driver and does no one a favor.

Short note from tis past weekend at the Farm.

Me being lapped by the race group leading car which was an F production car with a couple SM in tow. Farm drivers will get the picture. Previous laps I had observed these cars closing the gap to me. At T 3d sharp right hander, thru the next T a rather sharp left hander and approaching T4 I stayed drivers left, driving with left hand and pointing right with right hand to classic line allowing the full racing line to those about to lap me. The F production car laps me drivers left with two wheels in  the grass. Talked with the guy after the race, told him how easy it would have been for me to wipe out the passengers side of his plastic car and all he could say is, do you know how long I've been racing.   End of conversation and walked away.

Peter, comments??? 

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Wasn't there.  Can't respond to the specifics.  Will only say that we have always taught the overtaken driver to stay on his normal line, that it is the responsibility of the overtaking driver to figure a way around.  Going off line creates an unexpected situation for the overtaking driver and does no one a favor.

Peter, I understand/get that ^ and normally do that ^. Between T3d and T5 I know where I'd have been forced by the F prod car and two SM's. 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Depends on how early you do it.  Holding your line and holding the racing line are two different things.

• Jamz14 likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

On this part of the track, holding the racing line for T3D would have forced the overtaking driver to go off line for T4, which does not allow room for the slower driver to remain on the racing line. This pass has to be done with 100% cooperation between both (4 drivers in this case) drivers. As both will eventually be off line at some point during the passing event. As much as I like to argue with Davey dew, in this incidence, going off line is preferable as long as it is done early and with assertiveness and a hand wave. Why the FP car went even farther off line (race line is drivers right, Dew went left and FP went farther left into grass) I can not say. Note that it was a 3 car pack overtaking Dewey, FP leader, Voytek and Mike Gagliardo (p6 at Runoffs) fighting for SM lead. Dewey did the right thing in this case.

Dave

• Bench Racer likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

On this part of the track, holding the racing line for T3D would have forced the overtaking driver to go off line for T4, which does not allow room for the slower driver to remain on the racing line. This pass has to be done with 100% cooperation between both (4 drivers in this case) drivers. As both will eventually be off line at some point during the passing event. As much as I like to argue with Davey dew, in this incidence, going off line is preferable as long as it is done early and with assertiveness and a hand wave. Why the FP car went even farther off line (race line is drivers right, Dew went left and FP went farther left into grass) I can not say. Note that it was a 3 car pack overtaking Dewey, FP leader, Voytek and Mike Gagliardo (p6 at Runoffs) fighting for SM lead. Dewey did the right thing in this case.

Dave

Can we still blame dewey? It makes it a lot more fun for the rest of us :)

• Danny Steyn and Danica Davison like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Can we still blame dewey? It makes it a lot more fun for the rest of us :)

Absolutely.  Clearly he should have read the mind of the FP driver and checked to see if it was a left hand drive or right hand drive spridget before deciding where to yield. 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Thanks Dave!!!

Absolutely.  Clearly he should have read the mind of the FP driver and checked to see if it was a left hand drive or right hand drive spridget before deciding where to yield. 

The F prod driver was  in a right hand drive car and I knew that from qualifying.  :scratchchin:  

Keeper flying Jim, it's always enjoyable. :bigsquaregrin:

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Depends on how early you do it.  Holding your line and holding the racing line are two different things.

IMO rob is exactly right. Sometimes staying on the racing line is correct and sometimes off line in a definitive manner is the correct approach.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

IMO rob is exactly right. Sometimes staying on the racing line is correct and sometimes off line in a definitive manner is the correct approach.

I think racing school teaching for the overtaken car to stay on line causes confusion. The typical example is when you catch a slower car in the braking zone, they are wide and you are trying to pass them by going to the apex (on inside), and they turn down on you or the opposite, where they are on your inside and they track out into you, Just staying on the race line is not the answer the answer.  IMO it is better  to pick what half the track you want and stay there so if your on the outside, when you are caught, stay there or if your on the inside stay don't track out. 

The other thing that we should teach/encourage is to point cars by, nothing wrong with telegraphing your intentions.

I find that this is done much more in NASA with the mix class racing, as they know they are not racing the out of class car (most of the time) but in SCCA where we are all miata's Some times the lapped cars are thinking  your racing for position when they are getting lapped, or act like it.

• MotoFusi likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I think racing school teaching for the overtaken car to stay on line causes confusion. The typical example is when you catch a slower car in the braking zone, they are wide and you are trying to pass them by going to the apex (on inside), and they turn down on you or the opposite, where they are on your inside and they track out into you, Just staying on the race line is not the answer the answer.  IMO it is better  to pick what half the track you want and stay there so if your on the outside, when you are caught, stay there or if your on the inside stay don't track out. 

The other thing that we should teach/encourage is to point cars by, nothing wrong with telegraphing your intentions.

I find that this is done much more in NASA with the mix class racing, as they know they are not racing the out of class car (most of the time) but in SCCA where we are all miata's Some times the lapped cars are thinking  your racing for position when they are getting lapped, or act like it.

Aren't you (the overtaken car) supposed to be predictable ??

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Aren't you (the overtaken car) supposed to be predictable ??

J~

I think pointing a finger is pretty f---ing predictable dont you! 

And as some have eluded to...if you think someone/all are going to be predictable you will be going home unhappy(no matter what they taught you in driver school)! Point being only thing you can predict is where you are going to bail to as the over taking driver!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I think pointing a finger is pretty f---ing predictable dont you! 

And as some have eluded to...if you think someone/all are going to be predictable you will be going home unhappy(no matter what they taught you in driver school)! Point being only thing you can predict is where you are going to bail to as the over taking driver!

Can we get opinions from drivers that actually have some race track experience. Maybe ask Dan and check back with us.

I know when I'm coming down on a lapper what's most important is where he's going.

On line, off line or follow him thru a corner but the sudden changes are what F's me up.

J~

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Can we get opinions from drivers that actually have some race track experience. Maybe ask Dan and check back with us.

I know when I'm coming down on a lapper what's most important is where he's going.

On line, off line or follow him thru a corner but the sudden changes are what F's me up.

J~

Haha...then you agree with me!(sudden changes)

And I'm sure you feel every Coach...be it amateur or professional isn't credible if they haven't played the sport?

Dont be so sensitive...just make statements of your opinion rather than things that end in a question mark! 

And to your question...YES, all drivers should be predictable...especially when being passed(and a point to which direction they want the passer to go is a good start on being predictable). BUT...some were asleep at drivers school and continue to drive like a horse with blinders on! So MY point was there is ideal and then there is reality! But that is coming from a non-driver so take it as just my opinion and not fact Mr Moderator :D   I would not want to steer you in the wrong direction(like that play on words :P )

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MotoFusi

MotoFusi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Car Year:2001

I believe Frank is right. My first night at Eldora in a sprint car I was scared shitless. I got a great piece of advise from Jack Hewitt. Stay in the middle so there is room for faster guys to go inside or outside. Of course there are no mirrors in sprint cars..... LOL

If someone is faster than me, I will point them by until two laps to go then you must earn it.

Randy Fusi

Not won diddley

Sponsored by no one

Coached by a guy Todd Lamb coaches

WWW.RandyFusi.XXX (under construction)

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

The older I get, the faster I was. But at least I keep getting older :laughing:  Knowing what I know now, I would not have passed myself out of drivers school.

As an instructor I reinforce driver to driver communication. Hand signals are a must. And red gloves make you much more visible. Also the easiest place to be passed is on a straight away. Come out of the corner and when you go to upshift only go to 50% throttle while you wave the car by. You will only loose a couple tenths and the fast guy may show you something in the next corner.

Find a slow guy (maybe he is old and slow like me, or a newbie, or just in a slow car) who is friends with the fast guys and you will find someone who knows how to be passed. Knowing how to be passed is just as important to knowing how to pass. especially in mixed group races.

dave

• Mike Colangelo and Rob Burgoon like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Colangelo

Mike Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Region:Cal Club (SoCal)

Nobody is better than me at being passed.   :laughing:

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Nobody is better than me at being passed.   :laughing:

Ahhh, don't know about that. :bigsquaregrin:

• Mike Colangelo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users