MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

Stop changing the subject and answer the question.

What's the question I am suppose to be answering? I answered your original question, did you pose another one while I wasn't looking. You clearly feel Jim hurt the class. You have an opinion, I have a different one. People who read an advertisement that is posted on a message board and decide to not join a class are not going to stay in racing past year one or two anyway. And they certainly won't stay in SM. I have found most people who get into SM do a fair bit of research before jumping in. I'm guessing you were one of those that did your due diligence. And low and behold you are still here.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10
Rob I disagree. I think what is helping the class is the closer than ever racing, cars getting torn down, and ALL of them passing. Shows you that SM has taken a good turn since 2014 and the entries show it. What hurts the class is when all of those good things are happening, and you have people That have influence saying there is still cheating, even though cars are coming home in boxes.

Homestead: Alex Bolaños has 5000 laps at homestead and wins both races. Must be cheating
Sebring: Alex and Jim have on good tires, worked well together, have good cars as always, and win. Must be cheating.
COTA: haldeman puts 6 hours in an endurance race there before the weekend. Jim tests there a month before. Having exponentially more laps than anyone else. Must be cheating.
VIR: Alex and Kicera, two wheelmen, get hooked up and work together the whole weekend, pushing away to a two man race. Must be cheating.

Should I keep going?
  • Waterboy, Michael Novak, tylerbrown and 1 other like this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Nick Soriano

Nick Soriano

Kenny MF Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:30

Rob, 

When I was getting into the sport, in 2013, I only had info from the outside looking in and I thought the same thing you did. I was pretty turned off by all the rumors and it made it tough for me to figure out how seriously I wanted to get into racing. At the end of the day, all the mess that has occurred has made this class tighter than ever. 

Like everyone else has said, the class has evolved and grown from the incidents of the past. The true problem is what comes from a select few on the inside. It's those rumors that spread and those who are looking to join or are just getting involved will get the wrong idea. Just like what happened to me a few years ago.

So yes, it was worth the damage. If there was any real damage anyways. 

• Danica Davison likes this

#30 2001 Spec Miata

Autotechnik/ 5X Racing/ GlowShift Gauges

#ItCouldBeYou

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

I'm just curious if any shmoes tried to buy any of this and so contributed to Jim's tire budget?

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Why would anyone get into a pissing match about whether or not joking about cheating is detrimental to the class? 

In the end it's history and human nature that should guide us to believe that cheating goes on and will always go on...joking about it changes nothing...good or bad for the class.

SM has proven like any other human competition there is always an effort to push the limits of the rules...and why would we be any different? All we can be is vigilant...trust but verify! 2014 was a black eye and should never be forgotten. 

And for what it is worth...I bet SM as a class has the most LEGAL cars as a percentage over ANY other amateur racing class!

• Alberto, Mark McCallister, Sean - MiataCage and 3 others like this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MotoFusi

MotoFusi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Car Year:2001

I got your special sauce right here! Forgeddaboutit.

• lillyweld and BNaumann like this

Randy Fusi

Not won diddley

Sponsored by no one

Coached by a guy Todd Lamb coaches

WWW.RandyFusi.XXX (under construction)

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

tLinder

tLinder

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:SouthWest
  • Car Number:40

Short and simple, IT IS THE DRIVER that makes the biggest difference.

(Based on the fact that I have been fortunate to swap cars with Haldeman during a test day on several occasions.  I'm slower than him in his car and he is faster than me in my car.  Same day, same tires, same track, etc., etc., etc.,)

Toby Linder

powered by X-Factor Racing

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Chris did same lap times in both cars ??

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92

Short and simple, IT IS THE DRIVER that makes the biggest difference.

(Based on the fact that I have been fortunate to swap cars with Haldeman during a test day on several occasions.  I'm slower than him in his car and he is faster than me in my car.  Same day, same tires, same track, etc., etc., etc.,)

Yes, I had the same experience letting Chris drive my car at NOLA. In fact, he said my car handled better than his.

Color me slow...

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

tLinder

tLinder

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:SouthWest
  • Car Number:40

Chris did same lap times in both cars ??

J~

In some cases yes.  He's swapped cars with others, and in some cases went faster in their car than he did in his.

I'm not naive to think there is zero cheating, I just want future readers (newbies) to know the driver is biggest part of the equation.  (Even if $600 head glaze existed, it's probably not the missing part of why someone is not at the pointy end).

• Waterboy, Bench Racer, Jim Drago and 1 other like this

Toby Linder