• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Of course we care! What the hell kind of a dumbass question is that? ;-)

What I really want is for Haldeman to win in a 1.6L that is down 4 hp, with stock axels. Just to shut people up.

That car was not down 4hp. People can't have it both ways. You want to believe that Chris showed up loaded for bear and ready to win this thing with a car that was down on hp? But we are also to believe that Chris builds top flight cars for customers? Lol.
There was nothing wrong with that car. Chris drove awesome, but nothing divine about it. Good driver, good car.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

That car was not down 4hp. People can't have it both ways. You want to believe that Chris showed up loaded for bear and ready to win this thing with a car that was down on hp? But we are also to believe that Chris builds top flight cars for customers? Lol.
There was nothing wrong with that car. Chris drove awesome, but nothing divine about it. Good driver, good car.

Jamz, 

I think you read way too much into that :) I didn't it take that way at all?    

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Pay closer attention, James. He also doesn't drive a 1.6L.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:84

Updated the list, since a few drivers got left out since their name spelling was different between HST results and the entry list.  VLOOKUP isn't that smart, and I didn't notice.

64578787fbd36a5688ddd44edeca9d9f1d11f5f3

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

www.youtube.com/user/speedengineering

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Car Number:84

And, Sonoma SM Power Ranking. 

All entrants, sorted by average Hoosier Super Tour points earned per HST race start. 

101013111eba8a0a2e56f499da7c53ae1c04aad5

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

www.youtube.com/user/speedengineering

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Ok, I see what you are saying . Keep in mind though the 1.6 weighs alot less too. According to the formulas used to justify the nature 1.8, the 1.6 isn't down any power.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Keep in mind though the 1.6 weighs alot less too. According to the formulas used to justify the nature 1.8, the 1.6 isn't down any power.

What!? No one told me the 1.6 was lighter!  Anyone wanna buy some ballast? (hint: Sarcasm. Note car year listed at left.)

Ok, I see what you are saying.

No, I don't think you do.  My point was not that the 1.6 is "down on power"---I have no interest (or even belief) in some mythical parity BS discussion. 

1.  It was 100% tongue-in-cheek.  Which you clearly have missed twice now. 
2.  If there was any "truth behind the sarcasm" it was to say, "its not the car year, engine, or axels [sic]". 

We have another joke round these parts "it's ALLLLL car."  Maybe you'll get that....maybe you won't.

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Mazda Motorsports Steps Up Its Runoffs Support

RunoffsSupport-2727_RSJ-400x244.jpg

Driver coaching and parts support for Mazda racers and a hospitality tent for Mazda families

Mazda Motorsports has long offered the staples of manufacturer support at the SCCA National Championship Runoffs, such as parts support, technical expertise, contingency and an annual dinner for its racers. Last year, Mazda Motorsports upped the ante by bringing in some of its pro drivers to offer coaching to racers. For 2018, the support continues to improve with a hospitality tent on site where racers, teams and families can relax and grab a snack or a cold drink.

“It’s intended to provide a comfortable atmosphere not only for the racers, but the racers’ team and family,” says David Cook, Mazda Motorsports Manager of Business Development. “Mazda owners and race fans that come by – we’ll have a Mazda corral on Saturday during the races – they’ll be able to enjoy the comfortable atmosphere as well. There’s going to be couches and chairs and drinks and snacks all day. Lunch will be served Tuesday through Sunday when the track is cold for lunch. We’ll have other giveaways and more activities, some swag, and I think we’ll even have a couple of cornhole boards set up if people want to take a break and play a game.”

The Mazda hospitality tent will be open from Tuesday morning through Sunday. It will also be the spot for racers to grab some hats or t-shirts and the place to sign up for and receive coaching from Tuesday on. The hospitality tent will be on the hill overlooking Turn 7, above the Mazda group paddock.

For the coaching, Jonathan Bomarito, who races the Mazda RT24-P in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship and has raced a variety of other cars, and Tom Long, who has raced everything form Spec Miata to the RT24-P, will be on hand at various times to offer coaching.

Coaching-Bom-400x244.jpg

“If we can help people have success at a high-profile race, we will,” says Cook. “It’s another way to use our resources and better support the Mazda racers – support that no other manufacturer does.”

Schedules and signup sheets will be available at the parts trailer in the Turn 7 paddock until Tuesday, when it will be at the hospitality tent. Bomarito will be on hand Monday through Wednesday, and Long will be available Wednesday and Thursday. Long will also do a track walk presentation on Thursday. Drivers should be prepared with onboard video queued up to the lap they’d like to have analyzed. Data can be reviewed as well, but onboard video is preferred.

Mazda will host its annual banquet for Mazda racers and families on Wednesday evening in a tent at the track, on the hill on driver’s left between Turns 1 and 2. The banquet is always a celebration of Mazda racers’ accomplishments throughout the year, but will also have presentations on the strategy for the third-generation (NC) MX-5 in club racing, where Mazda Motorsports intends to put resources behind boosting the car’s profile, and possibly an update on the Penske Racing Shocks for Spec Miata. Grab your tickets at the Mazda parts trailer. Festivities begin at 6 with the program scheduled for 6:45, dependent on how late on-track action runs.

Speaking of strategies, Mazda Motorsports is also looking at hosting small meetings with racers from various groups, such as T4 and GT3. “We did that at VIR and it was very productive,” says Cook. “We talked about BoP, contingency and tech support. We’re going to offer these meetings, probably on Wednesday, which will be opportunities to discuss those topics with Josh Smith and myself and provide feedback to the Mazda team. Through listening to our racers, we hope to further enhance the customer experience.”

Mazda offers contingency awards to all classes Mazda’s compete in, paying the production-based racers who win the Runoffs $5,000; second place finishers earns $2,500, while third receives $1,500; fourth takes home $1,250, with fifth at $1,000. Formula Mazda, Formula Enterprise (FE2 only), Formula Atlantic, and Sports Racers earn $4,000 for the win, $2,000 for second, $1,250 for third, and $1,000 for fourth. There is a $1,000 bonus for winning the Super Sweep as well – that’s winning an SCCA Conference championship, the Super Tour championship and the Runoffs.

In addition, those who finish in the top three in their SCCA Divisional points championship, U.S. Majors Tour Conference or Super Tour points are eligible for tow fund money. Based on the distance from Sonoma, that amount can be up to $800.

For more information on Mazda’s contingency awards for the Runoffs, click here.

Check with the parts trailer and, starting on Tuesday, at the hospitality tent for updates on what Mazda will be doing at the Runoffs, plus any adjustments to the schedules.

• Michael Colangelo likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

jpsomner

jpsomner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:LA

1. Haldeman

2. Drennan

3. Carter

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

I really should of tried to make it to Sonoma. :(

Isn't Mazda going to be downsizing the racing program soon? I thought I heard that somewhere...

http://jenkinsracing.com

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Danny posted some pictures of the car yesterday on Facebook. He found the tire wall yesterday in practice. Mostly pass door and quarter and rr suspension. They got it patched up and didn't miss any time. Didnt look like anything that would hurt him, but not very pretty 

• Michael Colangelo likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Not surprisingly, it looks like It will be Drennan’s to lose. I’ll pick a couple 1.6s to keep him honest, if only for a few laps.

1. Drennan
2. Sutherland
3. Rawlins
First Interloper: Haldeman (should have built the 1.6!)
  • Jim Drago likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Not surprisingly, it looks like It will be Drennan’s to lose. I’ll pick a couple 1.6s to keep him honest, if only for a few laps.

1. Drennan
2. Sutherland
3. Rawlins
First Interloper: Haldeman (should have built the 1.6!)

It's my reading a comment on this site that the track suites the 1.6 very well. The 1.6 continues to be vary popular in Washington and Oregon and parts of Cal. As I recall there was a 1.6 that ran well with Drago at NOLA or COTA. Might have had an iffy head but the head is not what fills the drivers seat. Drennan is the home boy at Sonoma the same as Drago is the home boy at Road America.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Danny posted some pictures of the car yesterday on Facebook. He found the tire wall yesterday in practice. Mostly pass door and quarter and rr suspension. They got it patched up and didn't miss any time. Didnt look like anything that would hurt him, but not very pretty 

Jim. I didnt find the tire wall - an orange NA dropped two wheels over into the dirt on the exit of T10, slid across to drivers right, bounced into the tire wall and catapulted back across the track, collecting me in the process. Nowhere to go. Sucks but we will get it sorted

Locals are fast, but Drennan is on another PLANET!

• Jim Drago, Michael Colangelo and lillyweld like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Jim. I didnt find the tire wall - an orange NA dropped two wheels over into the dirt on the exit of T10, slid across to drivers right, bounced into the tire wall and catapulted back across the track, collecting me in the process. Nowhere to go. Sucks but we will get it sorted

Locals are fast, but Drennan is on another PLANET!

urgh, that really sucks :(

Is the car damaged or you still just figuring out the track? I have heard from many that place is not easy to get up to speed, which is one of the reasons I am home watching :) 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Is anyone planning to stream live from their car?
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Is anyone planning to stream live from their car?

I will be streaming live from my Pickleball tournament in Atlanta GA if you are interested.

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

This will be Marks race to lose. His track knowledge is key. But a lot can happen in 20 laps...I like the 1.6 cars in the last 1/2 of the race.

Top drivers who dont have a lot of laps here might do better the minute they can chase...right now, finding that last 1.5 sec on their own is tough. Hard for me to bet against anything but an all local top 5. And I put Ken Sutherland in that locals category. 

Top 5 in random order after Mark on top

Mark Drennan

Justin Casey

Ken Sutherland

Tristan Littlehale

Chris Haldeman(only outsider pick just because)

Wildcards...

Holifield

Newmark

Rawlings

Reynolds

Pardus

Any double yellows will potentially change a lot!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Ron, you should move P4 off the wildcard list and into the favorites. 3rd lap and already P1 over the locals ;)

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

I will be streaming live from my Pickleball tournament in Atlanta GA if you are interested.

... Will we get SMMD commentary this time? Last time we didn't get any scoring, and we had to make fun of you ourselves.
  • steveracer likes this

-tch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users