147 replies to this topic

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

Heaven forbid but when was the last time a 1.6 won a runoffs ?

J~

Pretty sure, 2006 - Andrew Caddell NA6. 07&08 were NA8, then 09+ all NB on the top step....

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

I was looking at this as well tonight...really dumb place!! Definitely in the breath/brake zone for 10. 150' back and we would see the fastest part of the track!

For as late in the day as SM went out today the track was ripe! Air temp maybe 75-78, sun was getting lower...and key was we had a good wind! Out of the north and west...maybe 10 mph. This helps the downhill complex from 7 to 11! My guess is many PR times this session and overall .5 to 1 second faster average for the field compared to most test day sessions. 

Definitely have not lost my testicular fortitude - went through the death zone speed trap at 102 mph yesterday. IFFY!!! - But as to Ron's theory, just before that is the fastest part of the track and I was getting up to 106mph.

Actually went through the Death Zone faster in SM than in STL (with wings) as in the previous qually session, the FV's had left oil (and speedy dry) for the entire racing line through the esses. And almost lost my STL car in that zone, on my fast lap! And then it started to miss. 

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

And yes, Drennan and Sutherland are on another planet right now.

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Definitely have not lost my testicular fortitude - went through the death zone speed trap at 102 mph yesterday. IFFY!!! - But as to Ron's theory, just before that is the fastest part of the track and I was getting up to 106mph.

Actually went through the Death Zone faster in SM than in STL (with wings) as in the previous qually session, the FV's had left oil (and speedy dry) for the entire racing line through the esses. And almost lost my STL car in that zone, on my fast lap! And then it started to miss.

Watched some video last night.. I want to thank Brad Rampelberg for confirming my decision to watch. This looks a very hard place to squeeze the last bit out of.  Solid drivers for sure at the front, but it seems perhaps as much or more here than anywhere, laps and experience are huge.  I hope the non locals i race with regularly can close it in by race time.  Its long days here waiting for the qualifying sessions, I can't imagine how long it is there. 

BTW.. I'm getting a lot done on my chump car this week :)
  • dtfastbear, Brad Rampelberg and lillyweld like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Funny you call it the death zone...a much nicer term might be race car heaven? :)

That loop is after you hit the brakes...yesterday was a rev limiter zone in 4th gear just prior for sure(106-108mph)assuming one had a good exit off 7 and nailed the 8/8a complex! Your min speed(in 10) Danny would tell me the real size of your gunny sack(and your car set up)!

I was actually glad to see many first timers find their speed yesterday...now, lets see who can keep tires under them for 20 laps and run all those laps within 1.2 sec of their PR. Other than maybe order, I don't see the top 12 changing in the next 2 qual sessions. Only 2 names that might find there way in that group at some point are Tommy McCarthy(can be faster) and Phillip Holifield(lost tranny on first flier). Maybe some shuffling but I'm pretty confident the top guys are in the 1st 6 rows! 

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal

Watched some video last night.. I want to thank Brad Rampelberg for confirming my decision to watch. This looks a very hard place to squeeze the last bit out of.  Solid drivers for sure at the front, but it seems perhaps as much or more here than anywhere, laps and experience are huge.  I hope the non locals i race with regularly can close it in by race time.  Its long days here waiting for the qualifying sessions, I can't imagine how long it is there. 

Yup.  Exits of T2, T3a, T6 and T8a are all blind at turn-in due to elevation changes, so you have to have a solid mental picture of the exits to be *really* fast in those sections.  While T10 might be the sac-size-measurement turn, T8a is the difference maker IMHO.

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I hope you have saved a seat in that chump car for Brad because apparently that is more his speed these days :duck:

He and Nick Sommers can group hug from the grandstands reminiscing of the glory days :P

Sorry Brad...too easy! But on a serious note, Loved seeing Nick come out Monday and give some stellar coaching tips to many! I know it was very much appreciated! And for those who want drama...well, so far a lot of hugs and hand shakes and drama free :blink:

• Team Nitro likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Brad Rampelberg

Brad Rampelberg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Number:14

Thanks for the poke Ron. I haven't posted on specmiata.com in at least 10 years.  

I convinced Jim he was going to turn into a pot smoking liberal if he came to California and he convinced me that I'm too old and slow.  I'm looking forward to my career in Champcar (Chump Car) with the other old, slow, conservatives.   :thumbsup:

~Brad

Ps.  If Nick if giving out free driver's coaching, we've got more to teach him.   :help:

• Mike Collins, Jim Drago, Michael Colangelo and 1 other like this
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Grand-Am Competitor - Grand-Am Competitor in a Mazda  (can be GT, and ST) SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America MX5 Cup Champion - Winner of a season in the iRacing MX5Cup.com Series We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Number:57

Am I reading the "Time Cards" correctly?  It looks like a LOT of people are turning their fastest lap on their first or second lap! 

For example, Preston Pardus ran ten laps and his fastest was lap #1.

Ken Sutherland only ran 3 laps, but his fastest was his first, too (and for provisional pole!).

Similarly, Chris Halderman, Matt Reynolds, Danny Steyn, Marc Cefalo.

I guess that's a sign of good drivers, able to go 100% right away.

or, maybe the tires are only good for one or two laps.  :-)

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Am I reading the "Time Cards" correctly?  It looks like a LOT of people are turning their fastest lap on their first or second lap! 

For example, Preston Pardus ran ten laps and his fastest was lap #1.

Ken Sutherland only ran 3 laps, but his fastest was his first, too (and for provisional pole!).

Similarly, Chris Halderman, Matt Reynolds, Danny Steyn, Marc Cefalo.

I guess that's a sign of good drivers, able to go 100% right away.

or, maybe the tires are only good for one or two laps.  :-)

Not sure what happened with Sm7 tires.. That never used to be the case? But the last 18 months I am finding this more to be the norm, usually the best lap is lap two.  This may be somewhat track dependent , but everyone there that I have spoken to is saying tires are king

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Oh good, a new “tires have changed “ conspiracy! So now Hoosier says “no they haven’t “, and when the new SM8 is really just the old SM7 with different wear dimples we will all think they are a huge improvement. That’s marketing!

BTW, is it my imagination or has the size of a stick of gum shrunk a bit lately?
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Qual 2

https://www.scca.com...234-sm-qual-2-2

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Cefalo puts a ‘97 in the mix!

A much tighter top dozen+ today.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

BTW, is it my imagination or has the size of a stick of gum shrunk a bit lately?

"no, it hasn't."

Next.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Runoffs Report: Wednesday Midday

The second of three days of qualifying for the 2018 SCCA® National Championship Runoffs® is underway at Sonoma Raceway.  Each of the 28 car classes has 20-minute qualifying sessions today and tomorrow to decide Tire Rack Pole Award winners.  Audio-only coverage of qualifying is available at  www.SCCA.com/live. Providing the commentary are longtime Runoffs pit reporter Heyward Wagner, Tom O’Gorman (pro driver), Gregg Ginsberg (Super Tour Radio), Andy Hollis and Larry MacLeod (SCCA Solo Nationals announcers) along with occasional special guests. Live timing and scoring can also be found at www.SCCA.com/live.  Coverage can also be accessed through the SCCA Runoffs mobile app.

Reaching New Highs
A topic of conversation coming up a lot in the paddock at the 2018 Runoffs in California centers on “getting high.” Of course, we’re talking about track elevation changes at Sonoma Raceway located in the hills just north of San Francisco.

How serious is the elevation change? Well, there is 178 feet of difference between the lowest and highest points at Sonoma Raceway, and most of the climb is in the first three corners. From turn one to the apex of turn two, racers climb 104 feet. Drivers feel like Superman by the time they exit turn two having climbed the height of a 10-story building in 1,000 feet of track. Once they get to turn three they will have climbed 158 feet – enough to clear the height of the statue of liberty from feet to torch.

But for those who may have forgone sightseeing such objects or spent a lot of time in urban environments in favor of the racetrack, let’s see how Sonoma’s climb compares to some other elevation-enhanced sections of track across the country.

TRACK                                 SECTION                  ELEVATION CHANGE            % GRADE
Sonoma                                 T1 to T3                 158-Foot Climb                    7% for 2,275 Feet
Watkins Glen           Inner Loop to Toe of Boot     141-Foot Drop                    3.5% for 3,000 Feet
Circuit of the Americas   Front Straight to T1      101-Foot Climb                   13% for 750 Feet
Virginia International R     "Roller Coaster"         100-Foot Drop                     9% for 1,130 Feet
Road Atlanta                       T11 to T12               80-Foot Drop                      10% for 800 Feet
WeatherTech Laguna Seca  "Corkscrew"           55-Foot Drop                      12% for 450 Feet

Trans Am Takes to the Track.....Anybody watch it spin yet ???

medium.jpg?1539799420

The SCCA® National Championship Runoffs® and Trans Am® are two iconic motorsport entities distinctly linked to the Sports Car Club of America®. That is why it’s so fitting that 1,000-horsepower Trans Am 455 Super Duty vehicles, built by Trans Am Worldwide, are on hand at Sonoma Raceway to serve as the Official Pace Car for the 2018 National Championship Runoffs.

Scheduled to make a first, official appearance on track during Wednesday’s lunch break, the limited-edition vehicle is a refined beast with an interior featuring retro leather seats, refaced retro gauges, shifter, custom embroidery and an exterior boasting full-carbon details including the iconic shaker scoop.

For those with a love of power and speed, the Trans Am 455 Super Duty comes with a lot of grunt in the form of 1,046 ft-lb of torque. Trans Am Worldwide Co-Founder Tod Warmack said that performance is the result of a collaboration with premier NASCAR engine builder Joey Arrington of North Carolina. Each car comes standard with a proprietorial engineered 455ci DI Motor, 2.9-liter Whipple Supercharger, upgraded fuel system, cold air intake, ceramic coated headers, three-inch exhaust with sport tips and an upgraded performance differential, Brembo Brakes and suspension.

Founded by brothers Tod and Scott Warmack along with Jim Dowling, Trans Am Worldwide collaborated with graphic designer Kevin Morgan to bring to life the vision of a modern-day Trans Am. To that end, the team secured exclusive rights to the Trans Am brand though SCCA and began to build cars for the public. The design has seen several refinements since the first prototype was produced, but it didn’t take long before demand outweighed supply and so came the time to transition from a small custom shop to a full production facility. Today, the company still has a passion for new and the classic Trans Am vehicles, but also converts restro-mods and restores classics, as well as offers new technology muscle cars with a classic retro look.

While the Trans Am 455 Super Duty looks great on track, those onsite at Sonoma Raceway can get an even closer look at this beautiful vehicle while it’s parked in the paddock at winner’s circle between on-track responsibilities.

Photo: The Trans Am 455 Super Duty, Official Pace Car for the 2018 National Championship Runoffs.

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Good Lort!  Those are some one-and-done tires! 

Lots of top 10 falling off by 1s+ on lap 2. 

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal

Good Lort!  Those are some one-and-done tires! 

Lots of top 10 falling off by 1s+ on lap 2. 

Traffic?

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Dunno. Just looking at the times on racehero. it just looks like fall off, because so very few had a good lap after #2. And the times just kept getting worse for those that stayed out.

-tch

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Hey Jim, feeling the itch yet?

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac
I can tell you one thing - this place is not bicycle friendly. Hills and wind are not your friend. Bring something with a motor. Great job by the SM group. Many classes have full course black flags taking away precious time from a 20 minute session. SM so far has been very clean. Really cool to see a 97 up there. May give some cause to give ithe NA8 another look.
  • Michael Colangelo likes this

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users