gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

YouTube, Vimeo, FB video is the new spectating.

Back in the olden days, race tracks weren't so far away and having both parent's working full time and weekends full of activities with kids.  Maybe it was practical for people to drive an hour to observe a race back then.  It isn't really now that race tracks are often a few hours haul in the middle of nowhere.

even more compelling of a case to the whole "if it doesn't post nicely on facebook, it might as well not have even happened" point i was raising earlier

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Ran into a prime reason SCCA membership benefits are annoying and shouldn't be advertised as reason to be a member.

Saw this in my email and I need new trailer tires:

I follow the link and see this:

From this point there is no hint on how to get 30% off new trailer tires. Is there a code I can enter online? Do I have to call Goodyear Distributor?

This isn't the first time this has happened.

PS, if anyone knows how to get this deal please let me know.

Nobody honors the discounts from the benefit as far as i can tell...

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Speaking for myself, comments about not needing spectators relates to crowds paying to watch. For many other forms of motorsports they are essential to the finances, along with sponsors in some cases. Sounds that way for Gridlife. A few of our events, like the June Sprints, can draw paying spectators but most can’t. Better to keep it free and hope more show. So to that extent, absolutely, we want them. Free publicity and other inexpensive ways to get them there are encouraged. But historically the club has grown organically, to use the common vernacular, and with all the flashy competition today that’s just not good enough. So yes, more & better online marketing but spectating will never be better than boring for the vast majority who show up.

With regard to almost any race car being cooler than almost any street car, baloney, not today, not for anyone over the age of 8.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

YouTube, Vimeo, FB video is the new spectating.

Back in the olden days, race tracks weren't so far away and having both parent's working full time and weekends full of activities with kids.  Maybe it was practical for people to drive an hour to observe a race back then.  It isn't really now that race tracks are often a few hours haul in the middle of nowhere.

Racetracks weren't so far away?  You're not serious.  Road courses, except in a very few instances, have always been a few hours away in the middle of nowhere.  

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

To those that say "we don't need spectators," I'd like to ask...Where do you think the new blood will come from? 

SCCA competition has a lot to offer to motocrossers and kart racers that age out, local circle track racers, solo competitors, track day/time trial participants looking to take the next step, enthusiasts employed in the automotive industry, BMW/PCA racers, etc...

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

FOR THE SCCA GOODYEAR TIRE

Follow this link.

https://www.scca.com...ember-benefits 

then click on automotive

Scan down to Goodyear--you will see this message I copied below.  Click on the coupon link ( I put it in quotes"") and it will give you a coupon with all the details. Damn, I'm 73 and I found this on the first try!!!

The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company is one of the world’s leading tire companies with operations in most regions of the world and is one of the most recognized brand names. Producing a wide range of tires for consumers all over the world, Goodyear offers all the benefits today’s drivers are looking for, from innovative technology and performance handling to all-weather reliability and affordable quality. Goodyear has a rich history in motorsports and has recorded wins at all levels of racing ranging from the SCCA National Championship Runoffs to Formula 1. Goodyear is the official tire and exclusive tire provider for NASCAR® and NHRA®. We also produce racing tires for a range of motorsports, including drag, landspeed, and sports car racing and information can be found at www.racegoodyear.com

Goodyear is increasing their support for SCCA and its members by offering 30% off their Endurance trailer tire line and select commercial truck tires, for your RVs and transporters. Members need to show their SCCA membership card along with this " coupon " to validate the discount. For more information, or to order your tires online and schedule your installation in one easy step, visit www.goodyear.com for Endurance trailer tires or www.goodyeartrucktires.com for commercial truck tires.

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

FOR THE SCCA GOODYEAR TIRE

Follow this link.

https://www.scca.com...ember-benefits 

then click on automotive

Scan down to Goodyear--you will see this message I copied below.  Click on the coupon link ( I put it in quotes"") and it will give you a coupon with all the details. Damn, I'm 73 and I found this on the first try!!!

The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company is one of the world’s leading tire companies with operations in most regions of the world and is one of the most recognized brand names. Producing a wide range of tires for consumers all over the world, Goodyear offers all the benefits today’s drivers are looking for, from innovative technology and performance handling to all-weather reliability and affordable quality. Goodyear has a rich history in motorsports and has recorded wins at all levels of racing ranging from the SCCA National Championship Runoffs to Formula 1. Goodyear is the official tire and exclusive tire provider for NASCAR® and NHRA®. We also produce racing tires for a range of motorsports, including drag, landspeed, and sports car racing and information can be found at www.racegoodyear.com

Goodyear is increasing their support for SCCA and its members by offering 30% off their Endurance trailer tire line and select commercial truck tires, for your RVs and transporters. Members need to show their SCCA membership card along with this " coupon " to validate the discount. For more information, or to order your tires online and schedule your installation in one easy step, visit www.goodyear.com for Endurance trailer tires or www.goodyeartrucktires.com for commercial truck tires.

I guess only a 73 year old would bother logging in to the SCCA national website lol.

It turns out that if you are not logged in, that text with the coupon is missing, there is nothing saying you need to be logged in to get to the link.

Thanks for the help though.

http://jenkinsracing.com

Nathan Pring

Nathan Pring

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:85

I guess only a 73 year old would bother logging in to the SCCA national website lol.

It turns out that if you are not logged in, that text with the coupon is missing, there is nothing saying you need to be logged in to get to the link.

Thanks for the help though.

Lol I only learned this by speaking to the 73 year old on the phone after giving up on the website and calling SCCA

2019 SeDIV SMSE Champion

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Did not log in to SCCA.com. I goggled the Goodyear SCCA member discount and it took me directly to it. But, since Toni & I do so much on membership and licensing stuff, we are automatically logged in when we get on SCCA.com. But, it just makes sense you would need to log in. Otherwise, anyone finding the site could use the discount.

Let me know if you can't find anything else. I now consider myself an internet search and find expert! Now if I could find why my motorhome starting running rich after they installed the new transmission last week. Ford F53 460 F I.

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Number:81

SCCA competition has a lot to offer to motocrossers and kart racers that age out, local circle track racers, solo competitors, track day/time trial participants looking to take the next step, enthusiasts employed in the automotive industry, BMW/PCA racers, etc...

who all think we are spending texa$ dollar racing. 

thus why the whole perception of costs is important. there are folks spending actually crazy amounts of money to do autocross, track days, and time attack. 

• Tom Sager likes this

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

I have had so many conversations with Eric Prill and Deanna Flanagan about what I think they should be doing, my head hurts.

Yes, I  believe that GridLife is TOTALLY onto something, creating a welcoming environment where LOTS of non-racers are exposed to racing. This is where we will draw our new recruits from. This is where the OPM's, AutoTechnics, Advance Autosports and other arrive-and-drive / prep shops will market there services, making those sitting on the sidelines realize that they can go racing by renting a car! I had no idea this was possible when I started, and had I known that I would have jumped in way earlier. We need NEW blood, young blood, not bald old farts like me. Spec Miata is beginning to really change with the influx of lots of teens, and that is what we sould be trying to achieve with all the classes, or those that can be sustained. It has to be cool 

Yes, all the dumb different and tacky SCCA websites are just so confusing.

Yes, the 4 days HST program is a huge negative.

Yes, standing in line for registration or tech is just asinine, and should be scrapped immediately.

Yes, for SM, we need harder wearing more HC tires to lower tire costs. The new SMW is a massive step in the right direction.

Yes, the HST entry fees have become a huge negative, and the lack of discount for running a 2nd car or class is a huge negative.

These and many more of the points raised in this thread need to be addressed, as these days, there is a whole new array of very attractive and compelling alternative racing products on offer to attract the new blood, that could otherwise make their way into the SCCA.

• Jim Drago, Camaro67racer, Preston Pardus and 1 other like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Now if I could find why my motorhome starting running rich after they installed the new transmission last week. Ford F53 460 F I.

Vacuum leak?

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

connelly38

connelly38

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Car Number:46

As an "aged out motocrosser", there were two things keeping me from doing SCCA road racing:

1) Perceived cost. A decent MX bike is $8-10K and track fees are usually less than $50 to race. Tires last a long time. Maintenance is typically cheap. When I first heard $350 to enter a single race I was like WTF. But some of this is perception - I eventually got my SM for $9K, way less than I thought I'd have to spend. Now, tire costs are a different story....

2) Having a race car meant non-street-legal and having to own a trailer. This one kept me away the most. It just seemed like too much of a barrier.

I know there are a myriad of reasons, but I think SCCA and road racing would have a lot more participants if the drivers could use their souped-up shiny street cars in the races. Think of all the folks at cars&coffee events, car meets, etc with all their fancy intakes and aero... none of them want to cage their car. So none of them road race (well, legally anyway).

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92

Vacuum leak?

Vacuum leak would make it run LEAN...unmetered air and whatnot

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

I think I may have isolated it to a leak in the EGR tube. Going to limp it back to Atlanta from Radford Va with a stop at an RV dealer in SC where I originally bought it to look for a replacement unit.  After all, this one is barely broke in with "only" 275,400 miles. My old dodge had over 500,000 miles. Just don't make them like they used to......

Thanks,

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
OK, so who’s willing to tackle it from the perspective of a complete redesign? You are replacing the current SCCA club racing program, not competing against it, and you have their resources plus a few years to make the plan work. The only non-negotiable point about the format is that events must remain at least 50% true wheel-to-wheel sprint racing. (should this be 75%?) The plan must be scalable and financially viable as a national club but the definitions of divisions, regions etc. are open.

What does it look like? What does the revenue side look like? Who is your target demographic for each revenue stream and how do you reach them?

Any takers? Even just an outline?
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

If I was going to do a reset on SCCA club racing I would probably do this. I would try for 100% W2W still.

* Regional and Divisional system only. No majors. Division points would work like CenDiv where there is a bonus for your first visit to a track so there is some incentive to travel. I might also add a one race points reciprocity for an out of division finish. This would help people that live between the border of two SCCA divisions.

* Super Tour could stay but should be shuffled so there is one super tour in each division (which is almost the case already). The super tour should tie into the divisional points race (maybe double points event or a flat bonus). This would be the "big race" of each division which doesn't require driving across the country i.e. Runoffs. If Super Tour couldn't be changed, I see it as a semi-pro series and not really related to the core of SCCA club racing.

* Maximum of 6 classes: SM, SRF, FE, GT/TA cars, ITA and STL get moved to a BoP system (use GRIDLIFE rule set for instant cross over), and T4.

* Due to less classes the Runoffs is no longer 5+ day operation. I personally don't want Runoffs to be over exclusive so requirements to enter would be minimal; attend 2 divisional races and you are in or something similar. It's hard to afford the runoffs itself, lets not make it even more expensive to get there by requiring a bunch of races beforehand to qualify.

* Entry fees would stay at the regional cost point.

http://jenkinsracing.com

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Really Mike?  In SEDiv regional SARRC races in 2019, 929 drivers have competed in all classes.The classes you propose keeping have about 400 drivers. So, you want to tell the other 529 that they can find something else to do with their cars so that we can have a primarily Mazda only race club. The total entries for SEDiv SARRC is 2146 now. The classes you want to keep account for 998 entries. So, we lose 1148 of the entries in 2019.

First thing I see is most going to NASA or vintage and taking there $$ with them. So the 400 drivers left in SCCA must pay the expenses that 929 were paying. Entry fees immediately at a minimum will double. So, the race you just paid $350 to enter will cost $700 or more. Everyone ok with that? And we will still have to run 5 groups so track time really doesn't increase all that much.

SCCA is still a CLUB. Sports Car CLUB of America. Every member should have an equal say in how and who we organize events for. Yes, the Regions need to make a little $$ to keep going. Many question why a Region needs to make $$. Well, it takes a fair amount of front money to fund a race plus there is more than just racing in SCCA. Solo, rally, etc seldom make any $$. It's low end stuff. But, it's still SCCA. We need their membership fees to help cover operating expense for the Club and Regions.

I do agree we need to change some things. We waste too much time with two open wheel groups totaling 25 cars. We need to have one short qualifying session and then race the rest of the time. We need to use our track time wisely. I'm all for on line registration for those who are regulars. Same with tech. But, the new drivers need to come through registration and tech and learn the ropes. Once they done it a couple of times, they get the express waiver. But, just like our pro series, you break or bend the rules and you will pay a $$ fine. No whining. At our pro race least night, teams from the first race were told not to load their cars while the second race was running so as not to block pit lane. One ignored the directive and was immediately fined $500. No one else loaded early. I like it!

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32

But, the new drivers need to come through registration and tech and learn the ropes.

Why?

CNJ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Use some common sense. Even our short track race series has special orientation for first time drivers. Face to face introduction to what SCCA does differently than other organizations would be a bonus. New cars to SCCA need to be check for safety. The registration folks can help them get their annual waivers signed and filed, let them know what and where things are and give them a great big welcome. Tech can help them with any small problems they might have with the car and our rules (you do plan to keep rules or are we going public school ?).

Almost the SM guys who know I am for the racers and always have been. I'm not a gotcha guy. I've been a SCCA member since 1970 And was a racer for 33 years and owned a prep shop for 30 years. I was also in charge of the Atlanta Region for 9 years while the Runoffs was there. I was also on the Atlanta Region BOD for 14 various years as recent as 2018.  I was one of the founders of the SARRC and ECR series and have been SARRC administrator since 1994. I understand much of your frustration and have worked behind the scene to changes things. And the most important thing is that I consider every racer I deal with at a SEDiv  race a CUSTOMER. You paid your money for a product and I want you to have the best experience you can.

However, when I see things suggested that just plain are out of bounds, I'm going to challenge it. There is more to SCCA that just one class or group. Try to put yourself in someone else's shoes who has a lot of time, effort and money invested before you suggest they take a hike. And guess what?  They feel the same way about SM. I can't tell you how many complaints I have because SM is never the last run group. I just answer them by saying. "ok, you can be first, but prepare to pull your head after the race". That usually brings a smile and an ok, I'm good with last.

My apologies for sounding like I'm talking down to you. I've been through much of this before. Almost none of you were around when you had to have your car teched at every race and had to endure the ass that didn't like you or the girl driving your car. You weren't there when we couldn't get in a lot of tracks until Saturday morning and had to leave Sat night by 6 PM. Registration often did not open until 7 PM on Friday night and closed the window at 8:30 PM no matter who was in line. Tech had the same hours.And at the Runoffs, your car had to come thru tech with the rest of your class at a certain time before you could go on track. Miss your time slot and you waited to everyone else was done. Of course, there was no entry fee for the Runoffs and only the top 6 cars from each Division got an invitation. And to get that invitation,you often ran 15 or more National races and then you still might miss the big show. I ran SW Div one year when I saw I had a schedule conflict. Won the Division and still have the plaques from the SWDiv Region I joined (only National driver in the Region.

So things are bad but they've been worse. Got to go fix the motorhome now so we drive from Va .back to Atlanta.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users