Photo

Tire management

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

Poll: tire management (83 member(s) have cast votes)

Do we need a tire management program

1. yes (73 votes [87.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 87.95%

2. no (6 votes [7.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.23%

3. undecided (4 votes [4.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.82%

Opinions on proposed program

1. I like it is as is, no changes (54 votes [65.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 65.06%

2. I don't like it (4 votes [4.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.82%

3. I like it but it needs some work (25 votes [30.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.12%

Do you agree with the tire replacement part of the proposal?

1. yes, leave it as is (54 votes [65.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 65.06%

2. no not at all (5 votes [6.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.02%

3. yes I agree but the plan needs work (24 votes [28.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.92%

Vote Guests cannot vote

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:38

I really like Jim's proposal but getting a longer lasting tire is a key to it working well for the masses.  In that context (with a tire more RA1-like) it's brilliant. 

Tom you’re joking right? You want a tire like the RA1. That tire wasn’t fast until it was about to show cords. We would shave them to 1/32 and get 3 sessions out of them before we hit cords. If you tried to run them at 4/32 you were a second off the pace. Yea 2 sets of 4/32 would last you the entire season but only with the last 15% of them being competitive. The RR is the same but not as extreme in time spilts, but still a tire you shave if you want good out of the box.
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Tom you’re joking right? You want a tire like the RA1. That tire wasn’t fast until it was about to show cords. We would shave them to 1/32 and get 3 sessions out of them before we hit cords. If you tried to run them at 4/32 you were a second off the pace. Yea 2 sets of 4/32 would last you the entire season but only with the last 15% of them being competitive. The RR is the same but not as extreme in time spilts, but still a tire you shave if you want good out of the box.

No, wouldn't want the RA-1 or any tire that has to be shaved.  A purpose built tire molded at racing depth is a better choice IMO.  Now I don't recall the RA-1 being quite as extreme as you mention.  Almost always we had them shaved to 2/32 and they worked well for at least a couple events or more and the performance of the tire seemed pretty consistent over that period of use.  The change in grip/lap time from the 1st cycle to the 7th or 8th or so before they were "done" was minimal IIRC.  Tire choice then was less critical to success.  Mid-Ohio did favor really old RA-1s but other tracks not so much in this part of the country as best I can recall.  I had my share of high finishes and some wins during that era and never spent less on tires than then. 

At the Blackhawk Major last month the SRF3 winner on both days ran on double digit cycle Hoosiers.  They didn't shave them to start.   The FE National Champ in 2017 who I know very well ran almost the entire season prior to the Runoffs (including in and out of conference Major and ST races) on 1 set of tires until the spec tire changed.   Yes those are much lighter purpose built race cars, but that should tell us that better is possible and likely out there.  Nothing will be perfect, but better has to be the near term goal.   Kyle said it well above, "best is the enemy of better". 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

powerss

powerss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Region:ARiZONA
  • Car Number:145

I would for sure :( So will many others that may not admit it

Jim

I am sympathetic to your tire cost issues and I think limiting the amount of tires that can be used in a weekend is a good direction if we can manage it and no one can find loopholes to exploit it.  It will definitely be a good direction for me because I NEVER use 3 sets of stickers in a weekend.. MAYBE 2 if I have won enough Contingency and the track requires it.

Does your idea apply to Runoffs too?

This may be another topic to start but how about a discussion to save costs for other members in the class too.  Towing to events is a huge expense(and time suck) to me so I can only run the events that are out here on the west coast for HST.  I wouldn't have even had 6 events to count until they added Laguna Seca.

What about having to use both results from a given weekend instead of being able to pick the best results from multiple weekends for national points?  How many events did you tow to to get your 6 races counted for points?

Just food for thought about the costs of running up front and trying for a National points win or a National championship..

• Justin Casey likes this
Steven Powers
Arizona Region
2009 SoPAC Division Champion
2013 SoPAC Division Champion
2019 Western Conference Champion

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Jim

I am sympathetic to your tire cost issues and I think limiting the amount of tires that can be used in a weekend is a good direction if we can manage it and no one can find loopholes to exploit it.  It will definitely be a good direction for me because I NEVER use 3 sets of stickers in a weekend.. MAYBE 2 if I have won enough Contingency and the track requires it.

Does your idea apply to Runoffs too?

This may be another topic to start but how about a discussion to save costs for other members in the class too.  Towing to events is a huge expense(and time suck) to me so I can only run the events that are out here on the west coast for HST.  I wouldn't have even had 6 events to count until they added Laguna Seca.

What about having to use both results from a given weekend instead of being able to pick the best results from multiple weekends for national points?  How many events did you tow to to get your 6 races counted for points?

Just food for thought about the costs of running up front and trying for a National points win or a National championship..

Steve

Not my program.. I just put the idea out. It is what everyone wants or doesn't want. I like limiting tires at runoffs too, but didn't mention it specifically in the plan.   But up to everyone and powers that be, not me

On HST,  I could care less about that Championship other than I don't want Danny to win it :) :)  I don't care what they do with that championship or how they score it. I have won it three times and is really not important to me  I just go to the races I want to attend. Always go to the tracks I want to go. My closest race is 8 hrs away, so I do my fair share of travel as well.  Hallet 8, Atlanta 8, Mid Ohio 10, road America 11, Vir 11, Sebring 12.   Being in Mid Div is not that easy on travel either. 

• Richard Astacio likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Number:48SM

Well i don't have an answer but maybe we can make the rule track dependent. limiting new tires at a track like Gingerman that eats tires and if you could afford a new set for each race would be important. There are not that many low tire consumption tracks out there. Mid O, NCM if we ever went there. most tracks like fresh tires so

I am proposing the Mid O exception to the rule. lol. 

The Glen loves old tires whereas NJMP (Thunderbolt & Lightning (very very frightening)) wants stickers.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Number:48SM

Modification of suggestion:

Make it 5 stamps/stickers per weekend.

Allow ANY previously stamped/stickered/used tire from that season to be ran at a HST and Majors event.

Can only run a total of 3 different stamps/stickers per weekend (not certain if this requirement is necessary).

This should cover all contingencies while enabling options later in the year for tire cycling/rotation as necessary by those who have tighter budgets.

Doing the math on this means:

Event 1 == 5 tires available to use

Event 2 == 10 tires available to use, two stickers possible (E1 & E2); can swap in one of 10 tires in the event of a tire failure (slice, blowout, flat spot)

Event 3 == 15 tires available to use, three stickers possible (E1-E3); can swap in one of 15 tires

Event 4 == 20 tires available to use, four stickers possible (E1-E4; E1 & E2 tires possibly still being usable)

Event 4 == 25 tires available to use......

This would enable the "weekend sticker contingent" to do what they need to do for pointy-end performance while supporting the "budget-friendly contingent" who happens to attend a HST/Major event.

"Weekend Sticker Contingent" - Event 4 of the season and it's a track that's hard on left side tires (LRP): sticker up then take the best tires from your previous events knowing you can only have two other stickers/stamps throughout the weekend.

"Budget-Friendly Contingent" - Event 4 of the season and it's a track that's hard on left side tires (LRP): don't sticker up and bring two sets of the best of your previously sticker/stamped tires. No need to worry about the maximum allowed stickers/stamps.

How to police and enforcement/discipline this will be the larger question but I imagine there will be plenty of eyes on sidewalls in grid.

• gerglmuff2 likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Allow ANY previously stamped/stickered/used tire from that season to be ran at a HST and Majors event.
Can only run a total of 3 different stamps/stickers per weekend (not certain if this requirement is necessary).

WTFC - KISS
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

This should cover all contingencies while enabling options later in the year for tire cycling/rotation as necessary by those who have tighter budgets.

Event 2 == 10 tires available to use, two stickers possible (E1 & E2); can swap in one of 10 tires in the event of a tire failure (slice, blowout, flat spot)

Event 3 == 15 tires available to use, three stickers possible (E1-E3); can swap in one of 15 tires

Event 4 == 20 tires available to use, four stickers possible (E1-E4; E1 & E2 tires possibly still being usable)

This would enable the "weekend sticker contingent" to do what they need to do for pointy-end performance while supporting the "budget-friendly contingent" who happens to attend a HST/Major event.

"Weekend Sticker Contingent" - Event 4 of the season and it's a track that's hard on left side tires (LRP): sticker up then take the best tires from your previous events knowing you can only have two other stickers/stamps throughout the weekend.

"Budget-Friendly Contingent" - Event 4 of the season and it's a track that's hard on left side tires (LRP): don't sticker up and bring two sets of the best of your previously sticker/stamped tires. No need to worry about the maximum allowed stickers/stamps.

How to police and enforcement/discipline this will be the larger question but I imagine there will be plenty of eyes on sidewalls in grid.

spot on.

spot the fudge on. 

this. 

please write a letter. 

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac

Truer words never written:

"How to police and enforcement/discipline this will be the larger question but I imagine there will be plenty of eyes on sidewalls in grid."

Any suggestions as to where the administration of the program will come from? In our region the tech people are barely hanging on as it is now. 

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

IMO way way way too complicated..
I also race one of the big later races like The Sprints on two sets of stickers or real close.

IMO all of your, well most of you budgeting of tires can be done before you apply the four stickers.

To each his own, but you turned something VERY easy to way too complicated IMO. But send it in, let SMAC/CRB tweak it whatever way they see best. Just as long as we all want something. Not my place to say what is better or worse

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

WTFC - KISS

LMAO. History of the SCCA in a nutshell, Or, an answer to the question...."Why is the GCR 6,397 pages long?"
  • Jim Drago likes this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Truer words never written:

"How to police and enforcement/discipline this will be the larger question but I imagine there will be plenty of eyes on sidewalls in grid."

Any suggestions as to where the administration of the program will come from? In our region the tech people are barely hanging on as it is now. 

Do they check restrictor plates? Weigh cars? If so, I would think they could look at a sticker on the door when they are looking for car weight sticker.. and make sure the 4 tire stickers match :)
  • Tom Hampton and Tom Sager like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

What about months with 29 days where there are two races in the same month?
Or years divisible by 4, but aren't leap years that have more than 13 races?

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Do they check restrictor plates? Weigh cars? If so, I would think they could look at a sticker on the door when they are looking for car weight sticker.. and make sure the 4 tire stickers match :)

They probably don't know a CV cage and ball assembly either. Well.....they might.......now.

-tch

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Easy and do it the Mike Collins tech way.  Herd the entire field to impound and reprimand anyone who took too long to get there or too long to leave.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

What about months with 29 days where there are two races in the same month?
Or years divisible by 4, but aren't leap years that have more than 13 races?

:)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

powerss

powerss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Region:ARiZONA
  • Car Number:145

Jim

I am glad you can sympathize with me about the amount of towing cost that it takes to run HST events.  It sounds like you are in the same boat.  Maybe tow funds should be applied for all these events by raiding the Mazda Contingency Program and spreading the wealth instead of pay for performance.

I think this tire limitation proposal could have the negative side effect of not encouraging people running track sessions especially at races that have multiple qualifying sessions.

example: I will not run an afternoon qualifying (only run the morning session with good air) to save my tires for later sessions.  

F1 had that problem with their OLD qualifying structure where there was large amounts of time where there were no cars on track. We probably would need to have some rule change that encourages the need to use every session.

I know.....KISS but only if it works.

For me the biggest cost of running the HST/Majors is Towing, Entry Fees, then tires but that is because I chose to limit the amount of tires i throw at a weekend.  I could be more competitive with new tires every session but I don't choose to. I am OK to be a top 5 rather than compete for 1st place.  I still always have people to run with when I go back to Road America and run my budget strategy although I know I will not be competing for the top spot or maybe not even the podium.  Want to join me Jim? :)

That being said, anything that forces budgeting of tires will give me a better shot at being more competitive.  

Steven Powers
Arizona Region
2009 SoPAC Division Champion
2013 SoPAC Division Champion
2019 Western Conference Champion

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

After 5 pages I think the KISS solution is to have a tire that doesn't go off a cliff. They should of released the SM8 this year at the same time as the Penske shocks. Them holding off on that has only done two things; increased SM7 sales and created this thread.

• tynor and Nathan Pring like this

http://jenkinsracing.com

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

F1 had that problem with their OLD qualifying structure where there was large amounts of time where there were no cars on track. We probably would need to have some rule change that encourages the need to use every session.

Hard to argue with that, it would be a shame if our TV ad rates dropped due to a lack of action.
  • Jim Drago, powerss and Justin Casey like this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

After 5 pages I think the KISS solution is to have a tire that doesn't go off a cliff.

Yes, the more consistent tire is critical to cost containment for the masses. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users