38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:38

Todd would do better if he kept his car on the ground. 

• tylerbrown likes this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

CDM

CDM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:SE
  • Car Year:9102
  • Car Number:66

First time ever at Road America and what a track, especially that carousel :)

^This thread needs videos!

Here's mine from sunday, went from 18th to 7th pretty pleased with it: https://www.youtube....h?v=9ye1lw3dd-g (btw you can see the FCY causing incident at 5:20)

• Alberto, Jim Drago, powerss and 4 others like this

Charles-Dylan "Chuck" Mactutus #66

OPM Autosports

2019-21 SARRC Champion & Rookie of the Year

2022 Southeast Majors and National SuperTour Champion

tylerbrown

tylerbrown

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:07

First time ever at Road America and what a track, especially that carousel :)

Here's mine from sunday, went from 18th to 7th pretty pleased with it: https://www.youtube....h?v=9ye1lw3dd-g (btw you can see the FCY causing incident at 5:20)

Charles! Sorry I did not get around to coming over to say hi in the paddock this weekend. You were driving really well, fantastic for your first time there! Looking forward to watching your video and racing against you again in the future!

• Jim Drago, screaming monkey and CDM like this

Tyler Brown

Sneaky Moose Motorsports - Owner

2023 Majors Northern Conference Champion - SM

2023 June Sprints - 1st Place

2022 Majors Northern Conference Champion - SM

2020 Majors Northern Conference Champion - SM

2019 June Sprints - 1st Place

Design Engineer - Milwaukee Electric Tool

Facebook: https://www.facebook...oseMotorsports/

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube....le_polymer=true

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Wow, you really got screwed by the silver car at the 18 minute mark!  So did another car 20 seconds later!

Looks like it worked out after that though.  Fun race to watch.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

-P-

-P-

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Number:31

I had a great time at the event and it was a lot of fun. Great track, location, and event. A bit of a long haul from Dallas but was a nice few days away from work to tune out the outside world.

I had more speed in me but my apprehension through the kink and into 1 held me back from from another second or two on my lap times though I felt I had decent pace elsewhere. Either way, I had a great time in mid-pack and the racing was clean even with some some poor lines and choices at the start that cost me a few spots. I don't think I have a single mark from last week, but I was rather liberal with giving space and overtakes. My goal was to finish in the 30's, which I did with ease. Top 30 would have been ideal, and I have no doubt I could have been there with better choices at the start and raising the level of aggressiveness consistently throughout the races.

Thanks to X-Factor with Chris, ChrisB, Karl, David, and Adam and Stephen and Susanne for the grub. Also to Mark, Chad, and Vinnie for last minute change of heart to come and for being my Cal Naughton Jr. for the last lap slingshot.

• Jim Drago and DrDomm like this

Shaffer

SM #31 - Texas

tylerbrown

tylerbrown

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Wow, you really got screwed by the silver car at the 18 minute mark!  So did another car 20 seconds later!

Looks like it worked out after that though.  Fun race to watch.

Yeah that definitely stunk, right before that I felt I still might have a shot at getting back to the front pack if I worked with Voytek, but after that happened, I knew it was pretty much shot.

Tyler Brown

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:80

Yeah that definitely stunk, right before that I felt I still might have a shot at getting back to the front pack if I worked with Voytek, but after that happened, I knew it was pretty much shot.

Sounds like either your clutch is slipping, rear end or tranny towards. Something was slipping a little especially towards the end. 

Not sure if you heard that. 

• DrDomm likes this

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

tylerbrown

tylerbrown

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Sounds like either your clutch is slipping, rear end or tranny towards. Something was slipping a little especially towards the end. 

Not sure if you heard that. 

Yes it definitely was. I am guessing either my clutch is shot, or oil is getting on it from the trans seal or rear main seal. Will be investigating that today.

Tyler Brown

sentercut

sentercut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:55

Now that I am finally home from the Sprints and another trip out of country and back, and after having a lot of driving time to think about all of my screw ups, I should probably lead with my apology to Junior Brock for punting him in T8 on Sunday due to a dead pedal. He recovered nicely and got back past me when my wonderful shiny new 10 session ESR detonated in T5. Appears that I picked up a shard in my radiator from the kink crash and leaked out all of my aqua and well……poooooooof.  Still fun to watch those last laps from T6 on the sidelines. Either way it was an epic weekend. Fun track, and funner people.

Congratulations to Jim and P$ on the wins, and Danny and Kyle on the podiums. Every time I get to go racing, I am blown away at the speed and lap times yall are printing. Absolutely amazing. Well done. I also got to meet and race around a lot of new folks which was awesome, one of them was Brandon Collins who in his first SCCA race ever (I think?) placed 8th on Sunday. Congratulations, that was impressive. Great to see all of yall that I only really get to see and visit with once or twice a year.

Got to drive around a lot of yall this weekend in practice, qualifying, and during the races and all of it was as clean as I think can be expected minus the normal bone headed stuff that always happens because we are all bone headed from time to time, and stuff just happens at 100 MPH door to door. The bigger thing I kept coming back to during my 12 hour drive home were the people, and by that I mean the drivers, teams, crews, families, etc in SM. Everywhere I went I was greeted with open arms, in a COVID manner of course. I thought of all of these folks that I have met in my limited-short journey in this sport and class and I could think of not one person/crew/team that wouldn’t help this Larry get back on track or lend a hand or coach me to faster times that has been proved out the past years.

Huge shout out to The Sneaky Moose Team and ESR. So proud and grateful to be with the Browns and our amazing crew. All of them bust their butts and the team collectively had an awesome weekend including first year SM racer Nico Bratz, who drove clean, fast, and placed around 20th both days for his first ever June Sprints, and learned some good stuff from you veterans. Great young man, and family. My twin brother from another mother, Andy Devoto, (probably still in transit back to Montana) was charging both days up the field, and caught some bad luck in T5 that pushed him further back (both days) than he wanted but both of us Larry’s nibbled our lap times down and built some confidence over the weekend.

Driving home I kept thinking that I can’t wait to get back to Road America and do it again. But really, I believe at our core the racing is secondary for most of us because regardless of all of the SMMD, the relationships trump the racing. At least mostly. I could probably thank and list most folks on this forum for the help along the way, but you know who you are. Many of you have no clue how you have helped me along the way, but most of you have. Can’t wait for Blackhawk, Cat in the Kettle, and Runoffs.

• chris haldeman, Alberto, Bench Racer and 5 others like this

Senter Smith

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Nice write up Senter

• sentercut likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Vinnie Baratta

Vinnie Baratta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

So at our first race post Corona in Texas people kept talking about June Sprints.  I almost jokingly mentioned it.  It wasnt really firmly in the plans pre-COVID and I assumed that it wouldn't happen. Things weren't exactly rockin at work, but when NASA cancelled their Championships all of the sudden my big race for the year was gone.  At that first weekend at MSRH Houston some Texas folks kinda half seriously talked about making the trip together.  Didn't hear anything until a week before we would have left... I'd already written off the trip.  But as soon as a couple folks were in, I jumped at the opportunity, scrambled to get the car prepped in a couple of days (Thanks Bret and Tyler!) and off we went.

Never been to RA.  In general this year in ST goal has been to be in the top 25-33%. Did a ton of prep beforehand.  First session out was reasonably happy, sloppy inconsistent laps but I was in the ballpark of where I felt I had potential to be. 2nd session Thursday was a wash due to rain, but I stayed out trying to learn what I could.  Friday morning was a bit of a struggle, but after getting into the pits we checked alignment and things had definitely come loosey goosey as I was running with toe in... So I was pretty chipper for Friday afternoon's qualifying.  Unfortunately once I saw a yellow flag at the kink I got spooked and backed way off, almost taking a teammate up my tailpipe in the process.  After the FCY I was stuck behind a gaggle of cars, and as soon as I bailed to give myself space... checkered flag.

Went out for Saturday morning qually and managed to get a clean lap, albeit with no draft that was good for P28.  Saturday PM race I worked my way up to P20, chasing down two AA cars who were drafting together for the last 4 laps or so.  When I finally got within the draft of them on the last lap, young Niko who was behind me pulled out to pass in T3, and I got distracted, blew the corner and went from chasing 18th to settling for 21.

Sunday mornings race I stickered up because my LR had been boogered up in contact in the Saturday race.  Moved up a couple spots due to running a lap in the draft in the race. Was hoping that a longer race on a fresher tire would make for an advantage, and I was doing well the first few laps until I saw a dust up at the kink.  The guy in front of me made move at the last second to avoid the car that had had the off, and I went off avoiding him.  Tried to get back on and bailed.  After that unforutnately I got red misty and working my way back through the pack followed someone too closely in T1 and ended up punting him.  Got going again and had fun working through some more traffic and helping teammates where I could until the checkered flag fell.  It was one of those races where after not totalling my car on the backstraight, I was just happy to finish with only needing bodywork and not a retub.

Road America and Elkhart was an absolute dream.  Track isnt my favorite to be honest but the scenery, town, and event will make June Sprints a yearly event for me from now on.  So glad I made this spontaneous trip.  Thanks to Bret and Tyler for getting the car prepped quickly, XFactor boys for trackside support, and Mark and Chad for putting together an awesome trip!

Vid of the code brown from Sunday... race videos forthcoming.

https://www.youtube....h?v=uWbI68GEM_Q

• Jim Drago, screaming monkey and -P- like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users