• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

MSJP

MSJP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:West
This is my first time choosing and buying a miata so I may need some pointers on what to look for.
I have bought and sold tons of cars but are there any special quirks about the miatas I should be looking for?
Shall I buy a first gen body or second gen?
I am able and willing to prepare this car with my blood sweat and tears and feel like I should take on this project to get back onto the track again after a 5 year vacation. I would like to get serious and hit the track again soon.
How much did you guys spend building your "spec miatas" while doing almost all or most of the work yourself?
Thanks for your answers guys.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
If I were to start from scratch I would buy the cleanest '99 I could afford - simply because its a later model.

Jeez - my '91 is 21 y/o now!!!
  • MSJP likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

If I were to start from scratch I would buy the cleanest '99 I could afford - simply because its a later model.

Jeez - my '91 is 21 y/o now!!!

+10,000,000

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

How much did you guys spend building your "spec miatas" while doing almost all or most of the work yourself?
Thanks for your answers guys.

Mine's not done, but I about 12k in parts on a shelf, a clean rebuilt street engine and an empty tub on dollies in the shop. Read my blog and you'll find I'm the poster child for rushing into a shitty donor and what it takes to get it to a condition that isn't embarassing. Tom Hampton has a good newbie build blog, http://www.tomhampton.info/ . If you are going to build find the cleanest 99 you can afford. You wanna build or you want to race? For what you could build a mediocre car for you could buy the same used for less. The plus side for me is I aquired enough tools and shop equipment to hang out shingle and start my wife's dream business, vintage American rides. Miata is going into the corner of the shop as we are getting a 73 Gran Torino with 35k original miles from a family member to restore and flip.

You can build a cheapie for around 10k if you can do your own fab and mechanical. Anything decent will run you 15k or so. That said, were I to do it again I would have still built, just with a better, cleaner donor. If you want to get out on the track right now, go buy a complete car and put a couple grand into it.

First though, buy this book....

http://www.advanced-...&products_id=42

It will be the best 20 bucks you'll spend in SM. And there ain't much on these chick cars that cost only 20 bucks..... :pimp:
  • MSJP likes this

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
To build a nationally competitive SM you will spend between 16-19k plus your time. You can buy one pre built for around 24k, New for 32k. That is if you buy and install the right parts.

I would start with a pre built SM, race a year and learn as much as you can and then build a car or buy another more competitive car, when you actually know what your looking for.
  • MSJP likes this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
NoCal or SoCal?
How much you want to spend?
Happy to be racing, mid pack, up front? Depends on the car , the nut behind the wheel and $$$.
J~
  • MSJP likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
If your in Nor Cal pm me! Several options for you!
  • MSJP likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Unsolicited endorsement - talk to Dan at TiSpeed in Charlotte. Man does beautiful work. If I ever get the funds I'll ask him to build me a roller and I'd finish it.

Fly in, tow home.
  • FTodaro and MSJP like this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

MSJP

MSJP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok Finally back to check on this and thaks for the replies guys!
I been looking at some 06+ models and want to spend from 10-15G on the car + time and parts.
I am serious about getting back into some form of racing and got to talking to someone about skip barbers mazdaspeed race coruse.
Even if I do not get into national races it will be a good car to start with since I will be learning on a playboy cup car and hope to build my car up to those standards one day. I did see a built 06 on craigslist for 20 grand right now and may be a good idea to get it if I can scrounge up the extra funds.
Posting here. Tell me what you guys think about this car.
http://sfbay.craigsl...2878504791.html

MSJP

MSJP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

If your in Nor Cal pm me! Several options for you!

Hello Ron, Contractor? Me to! I could also be tempted to find a 04+ mazsaspeed miata turbo, love those things.forget the spec racing and build a weekend warrior?

MSJP

MSJP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

NoCal or SoCal?
How much you want to spend?
Happy to be racing, mid pack, up front? Depends on the car , the nut behind the wheel and $$$.
J~

I am 20 miles north of you Johnny! When I get the miata you may be the first one I contact for help! :king:

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Unsolicited endorsement - talk to Dan at TiSpeed in Charlotte. Man does beautiful work. If I ever get the funds I'll ask him to build me a roller and I'd finish it.

Fly in, tow home.

Or Bob at Race Engineering, BEST cages in the country even better motors!!!!

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bailey Sigler

Bailey Sigler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Region:SCCA-CCR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:95

Fly in, tow home.

agreed

davecarama

davecarama

Instructor

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Number:63
Ever think of getting into B-Spec?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91

Ok Finally back to check on this and thaks for the replies guys! I been looking at some 06+ models and want to spend from 10-15G on the car + time and parts. I am serious about getting back into some form of racing and got to talking to someone about skip barbers mazdaspeed race coruse. Even if I do not get into national races it will be a good car to start with since I will be learning on a playboy cup car and hope to build my car up to those standards one day. I did see a built 06 on craigslist for 20 grand right now and may be a good idea to get it if I can scrounge up the extra funds. Posting here. Tell me what you guys think about this car. http://sfbay.craigsl...2878504791.html

If it's an 06, you won't be in SM.
  • MSJP likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

If it's an 06, you won't be in SM.

No but would be the cheepest SM5 car in the country! Need a suspension and wheel package and few other items to be "legal" but you can sell the goodies to pay for the Bilsteins.
  • MSJP likes this

Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Justin Fowler

Justin Fowler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48
As dstevens said, Best investment ~ http://www.advanced-...&products_id=42
  • MSJP likes this

MSJP

MSJP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for all the info and feedback, I am deciding between either 99+ or 06+ depending.
Looks more towards a 99+ since it would probably be much cheaper. 5 or 6 speed? What are most using in SM races?

Thanks

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Thanks for all the info and feedback, I am deciding between either 99+ or 06+ depending.
Looks more towards a 99+ since it would probably be much cheaper. 5 or 6 speed? What are most using in SM races?

Thanks

99 ONLY can use 5 speed

davecarama

davecarama

Instructor

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Number:63
Are you going to get a license and race or are you going to be participating in HPDE for a while?
The 06 car you are looking at looks like a decent deal, but you would need to do some things to make it legal for SM5 and other classes. The reason SM5 was created (to the best of my knowledge) is because there were a bunch of Cup cars laying around rotting because they didn't have a home to race in once they lived their cycle in the pro classes.

If you are going to do HPDE and not race right away, this car is great! You will most likely not be able to register it for road use, so you will need a trailer and truck to haul it around though.

If you want to race it, there will be a little more you will need to tack on top of your initial purchase fee to slide it into a class.

But for that kind of money, you can build a B-spec car and have even more options with an even newer car. That could be fun too!

Dave
  • Glenn and MSJP like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Spec Miata

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users