Just some Monday evening quarterbacking (49ers!) from a mid pack guy:
- That was my first SCCA runoffs, and as much as the schedule is a time suck, it was pretty cool
- If you under perform in qualifying, man does it suckâ€¦..
- It's monterey, and the house in Pebble Beach did not suck (A Legal counter balance)
- The Best of the Best where there, and there could not be a more gracious group of racers, examples:
- Asked Drago on Friday morning what tires to use (Stickers or scrubbed in) "Rusty I wish I knew, I'm going on stickers and that car is going on one cycle, pretty sure I'm guessing wrong" that statement from "Two Time"
- I said to Mark (Drennan), "I suck and cannot for the life of me figure out why I'm a second slower this weekend". Reply, "Do you have video? Let's go over it. And hey, if you have time in the morning, let me show you my video and see if you pick anything up" Probably 6 people heard that, and a few had there mouths open.
- I got to meet Mike Collins, super guy, maybe the coolest rig ever, and he had an incident with a really great guy, local driver who is normally as clean as they come on the track. He brought up a good point. I mentioned I wish they would have spoken before a protest was made and he said "Yeah, I wish he'd have just come over so we could talk about it". That's what we should all do whenever possible.
- We got to qualify, drink, qualify, drink again, and race with some of the best drivers in the country.
- I would have preferred to qualify better and finish top 10 on my own
- I would have preferred that all passed the protest (Even though I offered to and will support Will on the protest, pretty sure it does not cost anything at this point, easy for me to say now)
- It's not a black eye, it's a "Come to Jesus"moment. Let's get it right, and everyone, including motor builders who have been deemed "illegal" can find out what the black area is that they thought was gray and get it right.
- The SCCA team ( I just have to point out Jenny and Deanna) did an amazing job with a facility (And it's three owners/managers) that is not built for 550 entires. Could it have been better, sure! Could a handful of prema donnas not brought in 6 support vehicles, you bet. But, we ended up having the P2 B Spec guy (Travis Washay) join our pits and he brought beer, wine, and a hot chick with him, all is forgiven!
- #9 is for me. I could not have this much fun (Like most) without the help of a lot of people. From Mike Haag building me a strong, legal motor (I'm throwing in "I think" because we are all unsure until I see pictures and specs"), to TC Design building a great cage (That has been tested twice already, Hi Michael Niemann:)), to my step dad who enjoys working on the car and then says" Figure out how to drive faster, stop dropping tires off and quit making mistakes, and it pains me to say he's right. I also want to thank Darin Polsley, who helped coach me on the practice day and convinced me to run a clean race. I moved up 9 positions, and hard charger award or not, that was not easy at the runoffs.
I'm in for Florida (So by default, that means Barrett Tilley is in), see you at the runoffs next year!