Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

May I reiterate that I have no interest in attending a regional event that includes invasive tech.

M&S - Fully understand your priorities, but see Kyle's post above. If there is NO invasive tech EVER, then someone who wants to blatantly cheat will continue to cheat, destroy your and everyone else's fun, and the car counts will disappear. Tech is there to keep the everyone honest, and to ensure that we all get under the tent and share a beer after the race is over.
  • JBlaisdell, Alex Bolanos and Caveman-kwebb99 like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
I use to think the SCCA would be better served to eliminate the national/regional distinction - similar to NASA.

I think I've changed my mind - having regional events gives the casual racer a venue for low-key competition. And I really believe you scare off those casual participants if they think they will face a teardown when instead they just want to relax.

Moot point anyway. There just aren't enough volunteers to support this level of tech at most regional events.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:56
I don't think they are saying a tear down for a regional event, more so just some kind of tech. Many times the tech has been weight, then sit around for 10 minutes and we are told we can leave.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I agree with what has been said, we all do this for fun, but it is an important point, that if cheating overtakes the sport, it will drive people away who cannot or will not participate in the arms race.

All I want is an advantage over the other guy, but a legal one.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
What do you guys condiser evasive? I consider dropping a crank or clutch evasive. Something from inside the engine. I don't consider pulling a head to be evasive or removing the valve cover to be evasive. I think tech in that manner should be top 5 only, at a minimum top 3.

It sounds like the lack of staff is more the culprit than lack of desire. My story is as I'm going through treatment for a couple of different maladies the meds used aren't conducive to wheel to wheel racing, or even driving fast. I'm to the point where I could pass both physicals and those knuckleheads nice folks in Daytona Bach have already issued me a local feature license. :noidea: (it's the same price as a crew license so I figured what the hell... might need to shake down a car) We're figuring 8-15 weeks at this point.

I was going to don some whites and volunteer on the tech line. But the costs are prohibitive being I'm 200-300 miles from the nearest races. No big deal if I'm racing, big deal to go hang out and check weight stickers on cars .That's between $150-200 in fuel with the way prices are now. And I don't camp. So I'm down $300 to go and not be sure if I really am going to do any tech. The decision to go back and crew circle track was easy. The sponsor (sponsors are companies that aren't owned by the racer that give you money to race :bash: :butthead: I joke, I joke.... :king: ) pays the back gate fee and the team pics up dinner and we split whatever we have left at the end of the year. Which isn't much and not why I'm doing it.

I'd love to be able to say "Steyn, let's have a look at that pressure plate" or "Drago, bring your crank to the tech trailer"... Seriously, all kidding aside I would like to be the guy that finds a funky ECU on a car where dad is living vicariously through his kid though the kid has skills. Perhaps the regions and national need to direct a more focused effort for tech volunteers. Local vo-tech, community college, maybe some tuner car kids or DE folk with automotive experience. Give them a free DE for volunteering for the weekend. You could do that with all volunteers, not just tech.

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

We had very little experience with compliance verification on SM's. Since NASA Florida is now run by the national office, we have much greater recources available to us. No one expected the problems we had at the last event, and quite frankly it cought us off guard. I'm not accusing ANYONE of cheating, but we did not have a plan in place to enforce post race Tech beyond plates and weight. I take responsibilty for this and Jon Felton and myself have been in contact with National NASA Officials to ensure we are prepared going forward.

We do not want our region to be labeled as anything goes. Having said that, a plan is in place to be able to do a more invasive post race inspection on SM's. We will have various tools including a whistler at our disposal. Our goal is that all Florida competitors bring class legal cars since I would much rather hang out with fellow racers on a saturday night than tear down a car.

Patrick Wehmeyer
NASA FL Chief of Tech

Couldn't have said it better myself, and I take responsibility as well. We have plans in place now, and things will be better soon. Thanks to all who support our program!

Jon Felton
Director, NASA Florida

Thanks for chiming in Patrick & Jon.

Regardless what is/was going on or not in the video that raised all this interest, Patrick's post is spot-on... It's a delicate balance between compliance and fun, especially starting at very little tech. Over the past few days I've been involved & cc'ed on several conversations supports the desire and resources are in pace to begin ramping up tech in FL. Equipment has been requested/ordered and training will follow.

A more uniform tech process from NASA region-to-region has been one of the big things on my list from the beginning of when I accepted this gig. The day after I started on the job (mid Sept 2010) two issues have monopolized my time:
  • Slow the 99 while reducing it's weight - NASA's breakway in 2011 proved to be rough, but I feel was good for the class in the long run.
  • I saw a need to develop a complete SM shock testing procedure, not just specs - I'm almost done with it, just a few more things to confirm.
This stuff takes time but please know NASA 'National' is hearing us and is committed to doing what is right.
  • JBlaisdell, Alex Bolanos and Rob Burgoon like this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

As always if NASA will have me, I will be back at the National Championships again. I think the competitors have enjoyed the level of tech that bring to this exciting event.

I bet I can make that happen again B)
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

What I tried to point out earlier is that lack of tech is not isolated to Florida. In the GreatLakes weight is all I've ever seen.

+1 on tire brand - I'm passing on NASA this year because budget does not permit multiple tire brands/additional wheel sets/constant mounting and balancing, and I prefer to race on Hoosiers.

PS: one of the problems I've had with NASA for years (in the GL) is the lack of workers and empty flag stands. Not good.

PSS: No I'm not hiding anything but I have no desire to face a tear-down on an average race weekend.

(Moose, this is not a reply to you... This post sums up several very nicely)

Once I finish the NASA SM Shock testing procedure documents I will develop a NASA Regional SM Tech Manual. It may take me a year to finish but I'll get it done. (remember this is a volunteer position guys :) )
  • Tires? Really??? You knuckleheads nice people just have to have something to complain about.
  • Email your safety concerns to the NASA Regional Director (the big cheese), I'm sure something can be done. (CC me if you want)
  • I find it difficult to believe a motor is going to get tore-down in any region... You may have to do some minor stuff but pulling the crank or even a head would be surprising.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Tires? Really??? You knuckleheads nice people just have to have something to complain about.

Not a complaint - an economic reality.

Evasive tech - when you refuse to open your hood.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I'd love to be able to say "Steyn, let's have a look at that pressure plate" or "Drago, bring your crank to the tech trailer"...

If it is all the same, I would rather give you the pressure plate, let Steyn do the crank. :) Although mine is coming out in next day or so if you want to look :(
  • Danny Steyn likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

(Moose, this is not a reply to you... This post sums up several very nicely)

Once I finish the NASA SM Shock testing procedure documents I will develop a NASA Regional SM Tech Manual. It may take me a year to finish but I'll get it done. (remember this is a volunteer position guys :) )

• Tires? Really??? You knuckleheads nice people just have to have something to complain about.
  • Email your safety concerns to the NASA Regional Director (the big cheese), I'm sure something can be done. (CC me if you want)
  • I find it difficult to believe a motor is going to get tore-down in any region... You may have to do some minor stuff but pulling the crank or even a head would be surprising.

Mueller in Ohio we dont have knuckleheads, we have Moose Knuckles LOL
  • AJ Roderick likes this

K. Webb