Panic Motorsports

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Region:079 SCR
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:90

I am over spending and under performing :(

I think I just found my new sig line.........LOL!
  • Glenn likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

if you treat this as just a fun class and aren't looking to this as a professional class, which requires professional equipment, builds, and tuning, then you don't have a prayer of running at the front.

Not true in socal at least. I am a cheapskate, my chassis is anything but professionally built or tuned and I can run at the front. My engine is a Race Engineering engine though.

Other than that, just do your setup work, dyno to make sure your engine is working well, and don't be shy about showing up with good tires. If you can drive, that's really all it takes.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Hey Moose,

I do aspire to that, at least my son does. I know that I will reach my wrenching capability very soon for him though.

If the the major wrenching work for the tech is done by the individual car owner, driver, or mechanic, is there really a huge time requirement for the volunteer tech crew? Don't they just have to measure and ensure compliance? And if it is done on a schedule that is blind and happens for sure once a year, but only once a year for intrusive tech, is the time requirement huge? Is there a way to leverage the competitors themselves for some teching?

I think for amateur racing, it is up to each class to raise the bar or professionalism that is desired. Because SM is so well attended, this has happened more so than other classes I suspect. I think this is a good thing and speaks well of the competitors in the class. But this type of thing is a dynamic process and should be constantly evolving and improving.

Out of my own curiosity, is there an ECU testing device currently made?
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Rob,

Agreed, but what I mean is that I would be willing to bet that the attention you give to your car is professional level attention. Not that you are necessarily a professional and make your money building and tuning these cars. I hope to run at the front someday too, and I think I can provide enough skill in the wrench to do it and I don't make my living doing it. But, I don't think you can run at the front by making the allowed performance mods, garaging the car between race weekends, not changing or caring about your setup, and be competitive. If so, Jim Daniels setup guide is completely anal and not required.

And as you pointed out, you have a pro built motor, take time to look after your setup, dyno your car, and invest in tires. This is the basis for professionalism. Not that you have to be a professional. And I am in no way trying to minimize the need for lots of driver skill and seat time. From everything I hear, the amount of seat time you put in is the real secret to your success and I respect that greatly. That is one of the primary reasons we came to this class, to provide seat time and build driver skill.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Out of my own curiosity, is there an ECU testing device currently made?

Its called swap out the unit for a known stock unit! :) If I wanted to catch a computer cheet I would order wiring harnesses on the table at BIG events......just sayin........ :hatchet:

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

(I kinda think it's perceived by other classes that we already do get our way most of the time.)

What the "other" classes should understand and understand very clearly.. Less SM, there is NO club racing. The other classes should be pulling for SM as hard as we do. If we go away, in all likelihood, so does club racing on most levels. While it is not a popular opinion at times, my opinion is and always will be that WE SHOULD get more as we bring more than the rest.
  • chris haldeman, Glenn, Alex Bolanos and 3 others like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
But isn't the swap out a subjective test? Not saying it isn't a valid test, but subjective to the test driver that is testing the swapped unit? Wouldn't it be much easier to plug the ECU into a testing device and have a microprocessor do quick comparisions?

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

From everything I hear, the amount of seat time you put in is the real secret to your success and I respect that greatly. That is one of the primary reasons we came to this class, to provide seat time and build driver skill.

Thanks, yeah 300+ hours in the miata certainly doesn't hurt.

"But, I don't think you can run at the front by making the allowed performance mods, garaging the car between race weekends, not changing or caring about your setup, and be competitive."

In socal, you can. I run the same setup everywhere. I typically spend my garage time making collision repairs and doing enduro prep and R&D. That's how all the SM guys find time to find more speed, they aren't distracted by enduros like I am :)
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

What the "other" classes should understand and understand very clearly.. Less SM, there is NO club racing. The other classes should be pulling for SM as hard as we do. If we go away, in all likelihood, so does club racing on most levels. While it is not a popular opinion at times, my opinion is and always will be that WE SHOULD get more as we bring more than the rest.

I wonder if they are saying, "damn if only SM would go away so they could all build bug eyed sprites and race with me instead."

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Jamz, we're going to have to agree to disagree.

I race as a hobby, and for all intensive purposes the SCCA is hobby racing. If you want more tech then lobby your regional executive.

It won't be many more years before SM is the new bug-eyed Sprites.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Moose,

Fair enough! As a side note, not necessarily saying more tech is needed. Just saying that if everyone is concerned enough about cheating, tech is the answer.

J

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I think the overall interest is that we KEEP SM a viable entry level class that keeps expanding. That is in all of our best interest. Who wants to race in a class with no competition and no challenge. I sure don't.

Something else I don't want to change is the fact that people take this hobby more or less serious than others, some spend lots of money, I am ok with that. Some put lots of time into it thinking about every detail that they can improve (that's me), Some can do both.

If we don't keep a certain level of tech at the events and enforcement, its just like the speed limit, if you don't see cops on the road you go a little faster. Its ok with me that people spend money on this class that does not take away from its entry level nature, the tech will keep it within some limit.

I think you do have to either work vary hard or spend money to be competitive. Work hard, with being all over the prep of your car, working with your data, spending the time to see what set up works the best, what line if the fastest. At least for me I have to work at it.

You are always going to get people who cut corners. a good tech session will cut that down.

We had a driver meeting at our first event and the question was asked should we tech only the top three or should we random tech all the way down the line. I was the only one i think that raised his hand and said do the random tech.

In the first two events, I have drawn the random tech honors, go figure.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:59

In socal, you can. I run the same setup everywhere. I typically spend my garage time making collision repairs and doing enduro prep and R&D.

I am not sure what the racing is like in SoCal, but in Texas that will not get you to the front. You cannot win here without a well setup car and an exceptional ability to wheel a car. I don't know anyone in the top 10 that runs the same setup from track to track. I include myself in that list... I have finished 8th the last several weekends, I am not the greatest driver, but I put a lot of work into making sure both the car and myself are prepared before the weekend starts.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

I am not sure what the racing is like in SoCal, but in Texas that will not get you to the front. You cannot win here without a well setup car and an exceptional ability to wheel a car. I don't know anyone in the top 10 that runs the same setup from track to track. I include myself in that list... I have finished 8th the last several weekends, I am not the greatest driver, but I put a lot of work into making sure both the car and myself are prepared before the weekend starts.

Might depend a bit on the tracks and level of competition in your region. Lime Rock comes to mind. Having a car that can turn right there is probably helpful.

I'm just not at a point where I feel like I can get worthwhile gains by going asymmetrical. OTOH, I cornerweighted for the first time only a year ago, so I'm still getting used to a car that's 50/50.

plane

plane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:71
The class can be both competitive and entry level. As with any large group racing there are 3 different groups. the real contenders to win, the guys who are always top 1/2 but will never win consistently and those of us at the back. The guys in the middle think they can win so they keep trying. the guys in the back are racing each other just as competively as you are racing at the front (just slower) and will keep showing up and bring new people in if the front runners share knowledge and make it fun off the track and don't intimidate on the track. I think the SM group does a pretty good job of this. I would only suggest that the top guys maybe spend a few minutes each weekend helping new people and older slow people with some set up tips and double checking cars for friendly speed and tech items. I know it is hard to run your own car and talk to nubes like us, but it is appreciated. Duncan was a great padock mate this weekend. Dean is great and Charlie Hayes is always very generous with his time. I think the nature of forums is always to focus on the things that bother us becasue it is human nature.
  • mellen likes this

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Region:83
  • Car Year:1967
  • Car Number:67

The class can be both competitive and entry level. As with any large group racing there are 3 different groups. the real contenders to win, the guys who are always top 1/2 but will never win consistently and those of us at the back. The guys in the middle think they can win so they keep trying. the guys in the back are racing each other just as competively as you are racing at the front (just slower) and will keep showing up and bring new people in if the front runners share knowledge and make it fun off the track and don't intimidate on the track. I think the SM group does a pretty good job of this. I would only suggest that the top guys maybe spend a few minutes each weekend helping new people and older slow people with some set up tips and double checking cars for friendly speed and tech items. I know it is hard to run your own car and talk to nubes like us, but it is appreciated. Duncan was a great padock mate this weekend. Dean is great and Charlie Hayes is always very generous with his time. I think the nature of forums is always to focus on the things that bother us becasue it is human nature.

but it my call im justed bothered alot of inner demons how do you fix that
Satire is primarily a literary genre or form, although in practice it can also be found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

but it my call im justed bothered alot of inner demons how do you fix that

Psych help...

K. Webb